Author Topic: How far is it from Byrness to Kirk Yetholm?  (Read 2504 times)

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
How far is it from Byrness to Kirk Yetholm?
« on: 16:53:19, 20/01/18 »

I was going to put this in the Spine Race thread but decided it was a bit off topic, though that was the thread that made me ask the question.
 Watching the trackers on the website, it looked as if Byrness to Kirk Yetholm was a bit over 23 miles.  In Pennine Way guide books it seems to be quoted as between 26 and 28 depending on whether you do the Cheviot detour.
As we have all been watching people running up the PW, and it is clear from the posts many of us have done the walk, I wondered if anyone could come up with the definitive answer.  When I did the Pennine Way I split the Cheviot ridge and have always slightly regretted it.  If I manage to get round to doing a North to South one day, I would want to do it in a oner.  The difference between 23 and 28 miles is for me the difference between perfectly possible and unlikely!

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: How far is it from Byrness to Kirk Yetholm?
« Reply #1 on: 16:58:54, 20/01/18 »
Both times I did it my GPS recorded it as 27 ... that was from Forest View to Border Hotel.  First time via the low route, second time the high route.
Where there's a will ...

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:03:36, 20/01/18 »
My App recorded it as 25.87 miles but that was taking the "High Route", not sure how much extra that was. I just remember getting to the fingerpost giving me the choice and decided to go high  O0

edited to add, I went high but didn't do the Cheviot detour.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:04:10, 20/01/18 »
Guess I stagger more than you  ;D
Where there's a will ...

Doddy

« Reply #4 on: 17:15:23, 20/01/18 »

27mls it must be then, though there is a high and low route to choose into KY.[/color]  
[/color]  
When I did it mileage seemed awry from Edale with peoples GPS differing from guidebooks most of the time. I didn't keep a close check myself but did notice the issue by walking pace and thought it could be add angst to people trying to get to BnBs to find the odd two mile added here and there to the days walk. I camped so it wasn't a problem.[/color]  
I took the last stage to be 28 ml and camped near Windy Gyle. I didn't fancy a five am start, or whatever, from Byrness to get through in one day.[/color]  
[/color]  
I have thought about the runners on the Spine Race in the recent conditions- hell it must have been so tough. I recall having a brew in one of cabins on that last section and I seem to recall it was colder inside than outside.[/color]  

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:35:58, 20/01/18 »
When I did it, twice in one go, once in brilliant sunshine and then in appalling rain and wind. I looked it up at the time and it was 28 miles. I accepted that. All I know its a pretty long walk in one day, the second time I did it, in the rain and wind nearly done me in! I was almost on my knees when I arrioved at the hostel.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:39:07, 20/01/18 »
 Wainwright had it measured at 29 miles and that takes the ascent of The Cheviot and the ascents/descents into account.High level route adds a mile or two.The Spine race dosen't visit the Cheviot so its distance will be around 3 mile less than the figure quoted by Wainwright.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:07:14, 20/01/18 »

It's odd.  The reason I asked is because I thought the tracker mileages gave 245 miles at Byrness, then 268 at KY, which is 23 (+the odd fraction) Perhaps I didn't have the right glasses on.
I just measured it on a map with a length of thread which came in at about 25 miles.
Oh well, as a friend said, at what point do you stop being able to put one foot in front of the other? (Says she bravely, clutching large glass of wine)

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:17:42, 20/01/18 »
 Going on past experience of doing the route with all its different options I came to the conclusion that the last section without the Cheviot is 26 miles,include the Cheviot and its 29 miles and with the high level route and Cheviot it comes to 30 miles.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 19:55:31, 20/01/18 »
That pretty much matches my GPS  O0
Where there's a will ...

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:39:06, 21/01/18 »
Just a thought as to why the discrepancy - are the distances measured "as the crow flies" in 2D or actual on the ground walking 3D?
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Pura Vida

« Reply #11 on: 12:48:06, 21/01/18 »
Whilst a Traverse of the PW is still in the V unlikely box after having been dot watching this week my interest has been raised.

In line with the OP what are the accomodation options between Bryness and KY apart from a tent? The official PW page suggest that there are options! A taxi up to the Roman camp perhaps.

Any suggestions?
Show a man a route then he will have an Adventure; Teach a man to navigate then he will have many adventures

Pura Vida

« Reply #13 on: 13:25:07, 21/01/18 »
Many thanks Ridge
Show a man a route then he will have an Adventure; Teach a man to navigate then he will have many adventures

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 14:05:35, 21/01/18 »
I just measured it on a map with a length of thread which came in at about 25 miles.
That won't take into account the "undulations" e.g. Byrness Hill!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy