Author Topic: Best dales walk?  (Read 1207 times)

pleb

• Veteran Member
Best dales walk?
« on: 10:47:12, 25/01/18 »
So whats your fave Yorkshire Dales walk? Only allowed one to pick............
I will start. Done it twice and there will hopefully be a 3rd time this year.............a 8.5 miles circuit to/from Lofthouse in upper nidderdale. Along Thorpe Lane past Thorpe farm, down to the river, head North, cross river, walk on left of river, cross again at GR098 767. River on left now. On to Low Wooldale. Turn right, up to Nidderdale way, down to Scar House reservoir, cross damn wall. Follow Intake lane, take 1st path off to right. Past Intake farm, down to river, follow river past How Stean gorge, back to Lofthouse. Dont know of a "name" for this walk, I got it out of a book, but can recommend it!!!
Anybody care to pic a favourite?
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Bhod

• Veteran Member
Re: Best dales walk?
« Reply #1 on: 11:54:52, 25/01/18 »
Horton in Ribblesdale circular taking in Pen Y Ghent, Plover Hill and Hull Pot.  At 9 miles it has for me everything a good walk should have, ascent, descent, fantastic views, feeling of remoteness and a moderate length.  Weather permitting you'll have great views across to Whernside, Ingleborough, Ribblesdale, Silverdale and Littondale and of course on the return you'll have the magnificence that is Hull Pot which when in full force is a sight indeed to see.

So many others to choose from but I think this one just has (for me) the edge.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:33:25, 25/01/18 »

Wharfe, Crummack, Moughton Scar, up Ingleborough down by Gaping Gill and Trow Gill to Clapham then back along Thwaite Lane to Wharfe.
But very torn between that and Wharfedale somewhere.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:32:40, 25/01/18 »
This was one of my favourites when I lived up there.
http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/routes/download/?walk=2410
I have done it in both directions but I think anticlockwise is best as it has a gentler finish.
Start at Tan Hill Inn - follow the Pennine Way S to Keld as far as the C2C path. Take the  C2C up Swinner Gill, across Gunnerside as far as North Rake Hush.
From here it is a bit more off the beaten track and needs a bit of, but not too much, navigation. Head N to Little Punchard Gill and Great Punchard Gill. The last leg runs NW across West Moor, along Annaside Edge and Great Scollit with views of the N Pennines back to the Tan Hill.
It is a decent day out: 25.4km with 693m of up and down.  The views are superb throughout and you have a chance to walk sections of two LDPs plus there is loads of industrial archaeology en route, especially on the C2C and  Punchard Gill legs as well as some interesting dry stone lined mine shafts apparently sunk through peat bogs on the final approach to Tan Hill.
Solvitur Ambulando

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:53:34, 25/01/18 »
Bhod-ta, I have walked round there but yet to see Hull Pot.
Islandplodder-pretty sure I have done all that, but not in one walk. Yes Clapham beck area is really nice.
Ninthace-I have done the west section of that walk as part of a circuit but i went down to Ravenseat then back along Swale to Keld.
« Last Edit: 15:57:06, 25/01/18 by pleb »

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:15:47, 25/01/18 »
Bhod-ta, I have walked round there but yet to see Hull Pot.

It's a nice walk and not at all challenging - full details of the walk can be found here -  https://www.walkingbritain.co.uk/walk-1121-map
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:36:47, 25/01/18 »
I think my fave Dales walk was the Swaledale/Muker round.

... then again, I really enjoyed my (several) jaunts up Pen-y-Ghent and Hull Pot.

... oh, and then there was that (now defunct forum) forum meet that you went on pleb where we walked from Malham Tarn back to Settle via Malham Cove.

... not forgetting a cracking walk round Warrendale Knotts, et al I did with Peter.

... or maybe it was the walk in the murk and mizzle to see the Norber Erratics and Gaping Gill.

Oh! I just can't decide  ;D

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:45:07, 25/01/18 »
Naughty! You're only allowed one  >:(
Unless you start the thread, like me!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:46:04, 25/01/18 »
 :P

:D

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:11:19, 25/01/18 »

Sneaky cheat here.  My favourite walk used to be Park at Halton Gill, down through Arncliffe to Litton, over to Buckden, up past the George at Hubberholme to Yockenthwaite and back over to Halton Gill.  It was the great 4 pub walk.  But last time I did it, we were too early for the pub at Litton, the Buck Inn had shut it's doors for ever, the George was shut on Tuesdays (or whatever day it was we were passing) and we were relying on it for lunch. 
So it got demoted.  It's still a lovely walk, but it's not the same.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 10:46:06, 26/01/18 »
Ta, I know some of that, but have never been to Litton.
I got caught by the closed Buck as well, last time I went to Buckden, didnt realise till I finished the walk, handily leaving 40 mins before the bus for a drink at the Buck! GRRR
No sign of it re opening then?

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:09:43, 26/01/18 »
I haven't walked around the Dales as much as some on here but one of my favourites was one we did around Moughton Scars.

Started from Horton-in-Ribblesdale, up to Sulber Nick (with a short there-and-back to the trig).

Along the nick and, from Sulber Gate, onto to Thieves Moss. Down to Beggars Stile, then up and around the the edge of Moughton Scars.

Another there-and-back to the Moughton trig (bit of a rough hill but great views from top) and then back downhill into Horton via our original path at the eastern end of Sulber Nick.

For me it's a really beautiful and sometimes otherworldly landscape.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy