Author Topic: Britains 100 Favourite Walks TV Special  (Read 5787 times)

MarkT

Britains 100 Favourite Walks TV Special
« on: 22:18:16, 25/01/18 »
Was watching the One Show today and Julia Bradbury was on talking about a TV special coming soon about the nations favourite walks, not just her opinion but over 8000 peoples opinions.

A 2 & an half hour programme looking at walks from all over the Uk, including the obvious walks in the National Parks but looks at canal walks and even some city/town walks.

Tuesday 30th January 7.30pm-10pm ITV

https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2018/01/23/julia-bradbury-to-showcase-britains-100-favourite-walks-in-2%C2%BD-hour-tv-special#

I know I'll be watching..........Enjoy

Pura Vida

Re: Britains 100 Favourite Walks TV Special
« Reply #1 on: 06:44:18, 26/01/18 »
Walking,  I can't get enough of it. The sights, sounds, smells,  feel of the wind and rain, flora and fauna. Best thing ever.

To sit........ Still........ Watching........ Someone......... Else's........... View.  (the director).... Of.......... How......... Walking........ Should....... Look........ Without.............. Any........ Of...... My............ Other                 senses                  being              stimulated                will               be            dull for me. Guess what I'll be doing? Even in the dark.   :)
Show a man a route then he will have an Adventure; Teach a man to navigate then he will have many adventures

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:06:11, 26/01/18 »
Thanks for the heads up I'll definitely give it a look.

Guess what I'll be doing? Even in the dark.   :)
Learning.........Morse.........code......? (you.....need.....to.....try......some-------dashed)

Mick wmexile

« Reply #3 on: 15:54:02, 26/01/18 »
Thanks for the info, going on holiday tuesday, the day its on. Would have missed it, all taken care of now, TV box set on record. Fingers crossed that it will be good, hopefully with Julia B being involved it does sound promising
I never get lost, just don't always know where I am!

Mick wmexile

« Reply #4 on: 15:57:23, 26/01/18 »
Just looked at link that Mark T included, West Highland Way will be touched on, interest for me, will be walking it early June this year
I never get lost, just don't always know where I am!

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:26:01, 26/01/18 »

I'll be looking out for me and my mate waving on this. We were descending from Helvellyn Lower Man to Whiteside last November, and herself was coming up with a camera crew. I stood to one side to let her pass and we exchanged hellos. Id gone another 200 yards down passing the film crew on the way before I realised who she was. ::) It was them that told us what they were filming. I think some of them were glad of a quick chat and a rest.
Prior to this just as we were leaving the summit of HLM a lead cameraman had set up with a camera drone which was flying above us as we descended so we waved at it.. :D
I'm hoping that they kept the footage in O0 although 100 walks in 2 and half hours isn't going to allow for much coverage of each.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:56:01, 26/01/18 »
Fingers crossed that it will be good, hopefully with Julia B being involved it does sound promising

Anything with JB is promising  ;D
Where there's a will ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:28:36, 26/01/18 »
Anything with JB is promising  ;D
I thought you were medically trained, you know thinking about JB isn't good for your blood pressure.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 23:20:53, 26/01/18 »
Ta for this MarkT.  I shall be recording it  O0

Requiem

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 00:22:36, 27/01/18 »
Was watching the One Show today and Julia Bradbury was on talking about a TV special coming soon about the nations favourite walks, not just her opinion but over 8000 peoples opinions.

A 2 & an half hour programme looking at walks from all over the Uk, including the obvious walks in the National Parks but looks at canal walks and even some city/town walks.

Tuesday 30th January 7.30pm-10pm ITV

https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2018/01/23/julia-bradbury-to-showcase-britains-100-favourite-walks-in-2%C2%BD-hour-tv-special#

I know I'll be watching..........Enjoy

Thanks for the Grough link - some of the comments at the bottom of the article are HILARIOUS. I'm just glad I've never met such pompous snobs out on the hills!!  ;D

PT Business: poshpollyprints.co.uk
Twitter: @pollardroy
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/roypollard/
Facebook: Roy Pollard

Worcester John

« Reply #10 on: 18:30:10, 29/01/18 »
Hopefully you will see members of the Disabled Ramblers on The Ridgeway.  We were at White Horse Hill filming for most of the day for what will probably be a minute's air time if we are lucky.

Disabled Ramblers https://disabledramblers.co.uk/ [nofollow]

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:45:41, 29/01/18 »
I thought you were medically trained, you know thinking about JB isn't good for your blood pressure.

Need to get the heart pumping occasionally, it's good for you  ;)
Where there's a will ...

poppiesrara

« Reply #12 on: 22:32:07, 30/01/18 »
[size=0px]"Hopefully you will see members of the Disabled Ramblers on The Ridgeway.  We were at White Horse Hill filming for most of the day for what will probably be a minute's air time if we are lucky."  
[size=0px]

[size=0px]It might have been only a minute or two WJohn, but they were good ones to be proud of.     :)

I'm sure everyone can find things to be critical of, but 150 minutes of our thing in primetime is something I'm sure I've never seen before, and might never do again.  I wasn't sure of how the poll worked and 8000 total votes really isn't much (I'd reckon by my simple distributional maths you could have made the top 100 with about 20-30 votes.  Even with blind local loyalty and love of the place, there are a lot more than 100 British walks better than anything in Bradgate Park!!).  But the top end (bar a surprise no.9 in Northumberland, and maybe Scotland under-represented?) was about what we'd all have expected/wanted and got just about full-enough coverage? 

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 08:15:55, 31/01/18 »
We've now got 2 topics discussing the same program but thought I would add my comment here.

The problem was that you can't look at 100 walks in the time that they had but, because the top few walks were quite similar, they wanted to show a range of walks from the whole list so there were long sections of 'Walk 79 is X, walk 78 is Y'. When we had 5-10 minutes on the featured walks that was OK.

I would love to know the methodology of how they gathered the statistics as some of the walks it was obvious that people had voted for the walk its self, WHW for example, but did lots of people vote for just 1 route up Snowdon?

I wasn't sure of how the poll worked and 8000 total votes really isn't much (I'd reckon by my simple distributional maths you could have made the top 100 with about 20-30 votes.
It depends what people were asked it could be;
What is the best walk in Britain?
or
What are the top 10 walks in Britain?
or
From this predetermined list rank the top 100 walks.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 09:14:17, 31/01/18 »
How many people on here were asked?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy