Author Topic: Britains 100 Favourite Walks TV Special  (Read 5786 times)

Pura Vida

Re: Britains 100 Favourite Walks TV Special
« Reply #15 on: 09:44:54, 31/01/18 »
I watched "The Darkest Hour" That was good  :)
Show a man a route then he will have an Adventure; Teach a man to navigate then he will have many adventures

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 09:46:54, 31/01/18 »
As others have said, it was impossible to do justice to that many walks in so short a time - a 'top twenty' would have made more sense - but it's good to see walking getting primetime TV coverage.

Anyone going to post the list in part or in full?

Skip

robb

« Reply #18 on: 09:52:23, 31/01/18 »
I understand that the producers weren't being completely honest to the viewer as stated, ITV is home of the 'reality TV' programs afterall.

To start with "we asked" should have been re-scripted to "Ordnance Survey asked" and "you the public" re-scripted to "a select 8000 participants." For me this was evident in the omission of many famous walks to be found in the UK especially when N/Ireland got more walks voted in than the whole of Scotland, Giants Causeway may be a popular tourist destination but statistically Loch Lomond alone has more visitors per annual year. And then there's the farce that although the Pennine Way was shown in broken-down stages in the program not one vote was given for the entire Pennine Way trail, I find it hard to believe that the most popular hiking trail in England didn't get any vote whilst a Central London walk made it into the top 60.

With that being said it was a fun program to watch, and I got a few new routes jotted down in the notebook. However it's statistical claims of it being "you the public" weren't as honest as they should have been. I suspect had ITV carried out the polling themselves, unrestricted, the results would look quite different.

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 09:54:04, 31/01/18 »
Grough ... comments at the bottom of the article are HILARIOUS ... pompous snobs ...

Yup, a fair sprinkling of holier-than-thou self-righteous pollux. 
Skip

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 10:14:27, 31/01/18 »
How many people on here were asked?
Not me! So who voted? How?
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 10:30:08, 31/01/18 »
The Program was not available on STV our regional station....caught up with on line this a.m.
People who walk will walk on what is within reach of their homes.  The majority of walkers by far, are folks who live in England so I guess the survey? will reflect upon what areas that are walked down there.
I have no problems with both Snowdon and Helvellyn coming out big in popularity they are both fine hills and I recall both of these from youthful days down South on holidays. After all the program was about a variety of walks and not solely  about Hill walks.
No great surprise to find Macdhui, Nevis and Stac Pollaidh on the list although as with Snowdon and Helvellyn as stated in the film there are several ways to reach all of these summits.
I live in the Scottish Highlands so what is close to me I tend to walk on rather than driving several hundred miles to reach.  I must admit that linking with an Easy Jet flight, not too far to drive, does open up hills in more distant parts of Europe.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 12:11:30, 31/01/18 »
To start with "we asked" should have been re-scripted to "Ordnance Survey asked" and "you the public" re-scripted to "a select 8000 participants."

I'll ask again.
How many members of this Walking Forum were among the 8,000 participants?
If no-one replies, I'll assume the answer is 0.

RogerA

« Reply #23 on: 12:36:36, 31/01/18 »
I watched and enjoyed, (@fernman : I wasnt part of the 8000 walkers surveyed), dissapointing to see that only one was within 1 hours drive of my home - probably more a reflection of where I live, however great to see a large number of walks that I hadnt previously heard of (still fairly new to this). I've certainly picked up some ideas for 2018.

I think probably best to take the program as what it was - an entertaining program on a subject of interest - rather than a definitive guide to an absolute ranking of 'the best' 100 walks (for any subjective definition of what 'the best' means).

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 13:03:28, 31/01/18 »
I'll ask again.
How many members of this Walking Forum were among the 8,000 participants?
If no-one replies, I'll assume the answer is 0.
I'm sure if members had been surveyed then they would have posted on the topic.

Having had a quick Google I've found links to the survey on the ITV website, though you can't see the questions as obviously it is now closed. The Ramblers and National Trust are mentioned as being involved so I wonder if it was publicised to their membership.
« Last Edit: 15:08:16, 31/01/18 by Ridge »

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 14:51:24, 31/01/18 »
I got an email yesterday from the Ramblers, advertising the programme, so they must be something to do with it.
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 19:27:26, 31/01/18 »
Top marks to the quadruple amputee, who scaled Snowdon.
Those of us who keep winging about being unfit, or getting too old to attempt certain walks, ether solo, or in a group, should remember that a tiny minority of us can only dream about scaling a mountain as tall as Snowdon.
Some of us, do nothing about it, whilst others, with severe disabilities realise their goal.

I will keep thinking about that chap, every time i have doubts about my own abilities, watching him climb to the trig point in winter conditions, was very humbling.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 21:55:47, 31/01/18 »
I enjoyed the TV programme, though it was a shame some of the less worthy walks were rushed through with nowt more than a hurried intro, a quick route map and mileage summary and ... moving on to number [whatever it was next].

I was surprised that Helvellyn got top spot though.  I genuinely thought it would be Snowdon, purely and simply cos it has, what, 8 routes to the top, a cafe and a train.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 07:11:33, 01/02/18 »
We enjoyed it too. We ended up watching it all in one sitting last night and it was pretty much what I expected - light viewing, not very in depth even when they did slow the pace to talk about a walk in slightly more detail, but lots of nice scenery to look at and a few introductions to places that were new to me.

I was surprised at the choices they made when it came to spending more time discussing a walk though. To describe High Cup as Britain's "Grand Canyon" but then completely skim over it in 10 seconds seemed a bit of a missed opportunity and surely Ingleborough from Clapham merited a bit more coverage, what with Trow Gill and Gaping Gill being on the way...  ???

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 08:31:26, 01/02/18 »
General opinion when it was discussed on yesterday's group walk was that it would have been better to make it a series of programmes.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy