Author Topic: TR - Wether Hill in the cloud  (Read 1744 times)

photonut

TR - Wether Hill in the cloud
« on: 21:47:55, 20/02/18 »
Something a little different for me, a walk with some friends who wanted to join in on a Lake District trek.  I had stayed in Ingleton the night previous with some of these friends, following my Mell Fells walk.  So the journey to Martindale was much shorter than my usual early morning drive.

Leaving Martindale all kitted up, picking up the path behind the church soon saw the ascent to Bonscale Pike commence.  The path near Mellguards at the base of Bonscale Pike shown on the OS map was a little difficult to find, being somewhat obscured by running water and a little marshy area.  The climb from the start was quite steep but thankfully at about a half way point it seemed to level a little.  The path then split, one branch took a very steep winding route the other a lesser gradient but in the general direction of Bonscale.  So it was this route that we took.  Unfortunately this path did not quite take you to the summit and the last section had to be done off-piste, over a steep gradient covered with a few inches of crisp snow - first use of the ice axe!  I have to admit I enjoy that sort of terrain even though it can be quite hard going on the legs.

Bonscale was reached eventually and the view across Ullswater was quite something else, despite the lowering cloudbase.  It's views like this which make you realise why AW added them to his books

The trip across to Arthurs Pike was much less eventful with the highlight crossing the small but deep gullies.  These were full of snow and as soon as you started to cross the area you sank thigh deep, but the path across was easy to trace despite the snow covered ground.  Arriving at Arthurs Pike the cold wind became a bit more pronounced so it was a quick stop, long enough to grab a piccy and a 'Wainwright Winegum', then plod on.

Travelling across to Loadpot Hill I wanted to have a go at some map and compass practice - following High Street should make things easy too.  Navigating in the snow with the ever decreasing cloudbase seemed like a little bit of a challenge.. and it was.  I completely under-estimated the time it would take to get to Loadpot, I guess because of plodding through the snow - sometimes deep, sometimes patchy.  The time on my watch said we should be there, but as we were still travelling up hill on a bearing with which I felt pretty confident about revealed otherwise.  We did eventually get to Loadpot Hill, about 20mins later than I had calculated - ooops!  The cloudbase was now below us so we were enveloped in a white out.

It was shame that the views were obscured because looking at the relief of the terrain on the map, the views should have been magnificent.   Taking pictures seemed a little pointless, however I did manage one pic on the ascent:

Thankfully I had my GPS too so we were never in the situation where we would become lost... he says boldy!!!  It seems as though the 'Official' Wainwright location of Loadpot Hill is not at the Trig point so after using the GPS to locate said place we walked SE to pick up the path to Wether Hill.  This path leaves to the left of the trig point when heading southwards.  Passing a small tarn on our left was a good feature to see to reinforce our track.  Thankfully the ground was frozen solid too as I can well imagine the path there can be a bit boggy at times.

The visibility was getting worse arriving at Wether Hill so it was literally a case of walk over the summit and pick up a path, dropping down WNW towards Steel Knotts and Pikeawassa.  That was easier said than done and I had to revert to the GPS to put us on the path.  The snow was really deep in the gully so we walked on a small ridge running adjacent to the  stream, the grass and heather were visible here so it was quite nice tramping along hearing the crunch of the thin layer of snow under-foot.  Before long the snow cleared, quite quickly too, and passing two derect buildings (as shown on the map) Brownthwaite Crag came into view and eventually Steel Knotts.  Ascending Steel Knotts (why is this also called Pikeawassa??) was definetly worth the little bit of effort.  There were some really nice views standing ontop of the rocky outcrop even in the low cloud

Beda Fell was next, dropping down into Howe Grain, the path meeting the Old Church of St Martin at Christy Bridge.

Leaving the church behind and a quick scoot up the path that seems to pass around Nickles winding it's way up to the Beda Fell ridgeline path.  Sadly the clouds were really low now and the summit of Beda Fell was not visible but the paths to the summit were easy to follow.  A couple heading down from Beda warned us of the dreaded bog in the saddle between Allen Crag and Beda head.  Upon arrival at this area we merely found a bit of soggy-boggy ground but nothing worth worrying about.  We just walked straight over it with no issues at all.  I wish the views had been better, but hopefully in a couple of weeks when I hope to walk from Hartsop to Place Fell and Angle tarn I will at least be able to see where I have been.

A quick descent, back to the car as I needed to be home taking in the last view of Howe Grain, looking toward the Nab.

A very enjoyable days walking despite the poor visibility, a bit more experience and a bit more confidence gained.  I can't wait for my next walk now.
« Last Edit: 21:56:46, 20/02/18 by photonut »

gary m

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - Wether Hill in the cloud
« Reply #1 on: 21:59:49, 20/02/18 »
Nice photos
you have 1 life live it

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:32:24, 20/02/18 »
That is a long walk photonut, especially with all the snow O0

We once took an "interesting" route up Bonscale Pike from Mellguards when the bracken obscured the paths and we fought steeply up through nettles most of the way  ;D

Pikewassa is the name given to the rocky tor I think, Steel Knotts is the fell itself. That is one of my favourite little fells, we must go and camp on it sometime, we camped below it last year it was too windy on the top.

Wainwright Winegums  :) Great report and pics, it is always wonderful to see peoples enthusiasm for the simplicity of the fells, the adventures that can be had walking on them, no zip wires needed, thank you.
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 07:51:01, 21/02/18 »
Great pics photonut  O0
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:35:34, 21/02/18 »
Lovely pics and report.  O0

I thought the same as April about the rock formation on Steel Knotts being Pikewassa, like Helm Crag has the Howitzer, but we could both be wrong.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 08:49:44, 21/02/18 »
You got some fine pics despite the weather, that last one especially.  O0

Sounds like an interesting walk and maybe one to repeat when the views are better later in the year. Maybe you could treat this as a bit of a recce for that trip.  :)

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:52:10, 21/02/18 »
Nice report Photonut - and as another coincidence this is a walk I have planned to do - these are three fells I've not walked! 

photonut

« Reply #7 on: 12:54:20, 21/02/18 »
Thank you everyone for your kind words.  It's inspiring me to write up my other recent trips too  ::)

That is a long walk photonut, especially with all the snow O0

We once took an "interesting" route up Bonscale Pike from Mellguards when the bracken obscured the paths and we fought steeply up through nettles most of the way  ;D
Thank you April.

I think in total 18km.. or there abouts. It didn't feel like a long walk as I just enjoyed it so much.  I can well imagine that the flattened bracken we saw on the ascent to Bonscale, once stood up, would present a sizeable obstruction... and nettles certainly won't help at all.

Pikewassa is the name given to the rocky tor I think, Steel Knotts is the fell itself. That is one of my favourite little fells, we must go and camp on it sometime, we camped below it last year it was too windy on the top.

ahh... great thank you. (thank you Ridge too  O0 ) I was wondering why two names.  That makes a lot of sense.  I loved standing on the top of that rocky tor... the views, the peace and quiet...I felt like the king of the world

... well my world anyway :)  Just Superb.

Wainwright Winegums  :)

They've become somewhat of a ritual on completion of a Wainwright summit :D  One day I'll progress to Yellowtail Malbec like yourself and Beefy :)

... the simplicity of the fells, the adventures that can be had walking on them, no zip wires needed, thank you.

Definitely no zip-wires..... if only those 'thrill' seekers would try what is already there in front of them.... enough thrills in the hills without bits of wire!!

Sounds like an interesting walk and maybe one to repeat when the views are better later in the year. Maybe you could treat this as a bit of a recce for that trip.  :)

Thanks Adalard, I shall certainly return to these fells one day... but I'm looking forward to sampling the other 184 AW's before that :)

Nice report Photonut - and as another coincidence this is a walk I have planned to do - these are three fells I've not walked! 

Thank you.  I highly recommend them pdstsp... in fact thinking about it.... there isn't a fell that I haven't enjoyed :)  I just wished I'd had more time to walk up Hallin Fell too.  But at least it gives me an excuse to return to Martindale soon as I really like it there.

Cheers
Lee

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 19:03:49, 21/02/18 »
One day I'll progress to Yellowtail Malbec like yourself and Beefy :)

;D
Hate will never win

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 08:57:35, 22/02/18 »
Great photos O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

photonut

« Reply #10 on: 21:19:01, 22/02/18 »
Thank you Sunnydale, glad you liked them

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 14:38:19, 26/02/18 »
Excellent report photonut, not the best days weather but if you wait for perfect conditions you’d never be out there.

This is one I need to do as a Wainwright bagger, so it’s given me a little insight ;)
Thanks for sharing  O0

Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

photonut

« Reply #12 on: 15:58:02, 26/02/18 »
...not the best days weather but if you wait for perfect conditions you’d never be out there.

Never a more true word spoken!!

If you need any pointers or a GPX route file just PM me

Cheers
Lee

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 16:34:51, 26/02/18 »
Never a more true word spoken!!

If you need any pointers or a GPX route file just PM me

Cheers
Lee

Thanks Lee  O0
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy