Author Topic: Madeira anyone?  (Read 2794 times)

Tyldesley Paul

Re: Madeira anyone?
« Reply #15 on: 09:51:41, 26/03/18 »
If you fancy a change whist you are there you can get the 15 min flight to Porto Santo (cheaper if you book last minute, there are 12 flights a day) or ferry if you go for a couple of days (it's about 50km). the island is only 12km x 6km but it has 9km of beach, forest, rocky desert and peaks in the east reaching just over 500m. We walked around the island a couple of years ago including along the golf course which starts on one coast and finishes on the opposite.
« Last Edit: 09:58:19, 26/03/18 by Tyldesley Paul »

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 10:03:37, 26/03/18 »
That looks beautiful. We're only there for a few days, a mini-break really, so I don't think Porto Santo will be an option this time around but maybe on another occasion - thanks for the tip!  O0

naturegirl

« Reply #17 on: 23:11:21, 27/03/18 »
Went to Porto Santo in 2013.
Beautiful island, not too many tourists as it is relatively new as a tourist spot, although there are a few hotels by the beach and more coming.
The weather is lovely, rarely gets too hot. We went mid-June and tempeatures were around 20C.
And the airport is not as scary as Funchal's - but that's me and my fear of flights!

Ho11yberry

« Reply #18 on: 20:19:02, 29/03/18 »

I spent an October week  in Madeira about 15 years ago but I can't recommend any walks because we had torrential rain for most of the days. On the occasions when it stopped and we headed upwards, everywhere was shrouded in really heavy mist.  :( Although it's marketed as a year round destination I've since heard spring is usually the best time to visit.

I CAN however recommend a restaurant in Funchal Old Town called Arsenios.  Live Faro music every evening to accompany fabulous food and a great atmosphere:  http://www.madeira-restaurants.com/funchal/arsenios [nofollow].

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 09:57:41, 30/03/18 »
I CAN however recommend a restaurant in Funchal Old Town called Arsenios.  Live Faro music every evening to accompany fabulous food and a great atmosphere:  http://www.madeira-restaurants.com/funchal/arsenios.

Cheers, Ho11yberry - have made a note of that.  O0

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 15:51:18, 31/03/18 »
We had a week in Madeira in May, probably about 6 or 7 years ago. It can get quite misty at times especially up in the hills but often the whole island isn’t affected. i didn’t actually like Funchal, far too crowded and touristy for my liking.  We stayed in an apartment in Arco de Calheta along the SW coast. We had the Sunflower guide from the library but mainly used a guide we found in our accommodation to walk the levadas. We had a car, but depending on where you’re travelling to/from it can take a while to get around- due to those pesky mountains across the centre! We drove up to the car park at Pico Areira and did some short walks from there. From what I remember its best to get there as early as poss as its more likely to be in the cloud in the afternoon. I do recall that while we were there we were up above the clouds with the odd view appearing and it really did feel like were on top of the world. One of our best experiences was walking from Arco de Calheta to Loreto, the next little village and discovering there was a local festival on. It also had a lovely little church.  If you have a head for heights, which I guess you do considering the walk you are doing, visit Cabo Girao, a bit touristy though not many when we were there. Its a glass floor skywalk extending out over the cliffs.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy