Author Topic: Does anyone else like walking in the dark?  (Read 3126 times)

Maggot

Does anyone else like walking in the dark?
« on: 16:46:22, 09/03/18 »
I find it very relaxing and invigorating to be out on the hills in the darkness.  I often walk without a light on at all, the perspective you get in the blackness is wonderful, and the wildlife don't all nip off from a mile away either!

It can't be just me..............can it  :-\

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Re: Does anyone else like walking in the dark?
« Reply #1 on: 17:11:37, 09/03/18 »
I have done a few night walks.  Since returning to walking.  The first two were on  on my own.  Simply off the cuff, walks because the moor and the stars were calling so I just walked and admired the heavens.  The last one was with our walking group.  Wet foggy and we headed the wrong way, for two miles, following the gps.  The one thing all had in common was a great drive home in the silent hours, in my little sports car.  Chasing the rising summer sun on one occasion. O0

So to answer your question.  Yes I love it. :)

rambling minster

« Reply #2 on: 18:49:19, 09/03/18 »
i often go for an evening walk around town - i think folk think i'm weird or up to no good (guilty on the first one!)

In one of Robert Macfarlane's books (either the Old Ways or Wild Places), he devotes a chapter to night walking, largely featuring the First World War poet Edward Thomas and his fondness for taking off on long ways in the countryside at night.

so, yes, i love it too!

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:58:26, 09/03/18 »
Funnily enough I went for a six mile walk across the Sussex Downs last night, first in a long time  O0 .  Very enjoyable although a tad muddy in places  :(
Where there's a will ...

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 08:52:22, 10/03/18 »
Over winter, if I want a mid-week walk I have no choice than to pavement pound in the dark  :(

I have enjoyed a couple of night-time forum meet walks in the past though  :)

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:11:17, 10/03/18 »
I've only done it accidentally when I've taken longer than I expected to get to my end point - most notably in the Lakes a year or so back when an uncrossable stream in full spate led to a long diversion along dark, narrow lanes.

I didn't enjoy that at all but I have wanted to do a night-time walk for a while, over the summer if there's a short, clear night with a good moon.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:16:55, 10/03/18 »
Great time to walk, though I don't walk at night much now. Come summer to walk through a field of barley with strong moonlight is like wading through a waist high sea of silver.

Once arranged to meet some friends on the top of Snowdon, whilst we were in the pub at closing time. Got to the top, all clagged in, bivvied for a bit then headed down in the early hours to find two tents about half way, and a cacaphony of drunken snores, so carried on down.

« Last Edit: 09:21:09, 10/03/18 by barewirewalker »
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 09:23:21, 10/03/18 »
to walk through a field of barley with strong moonlight is like wading through a waist high sea of silver.

Love that, BWW - what a beautiful picture that phrase summons up!

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:34:44, 10/03/18 »
Yes, me too. The smells and scents are quite different in the evening and night air.

Great time to walk, though I don't walk at night much now. Come summer to walk through a field of barley with strong moonlight is like wading through a waist high sea of silver.
That's so evocative. Just beautiful
In one of Robert Macfarlane's books (either the Old Ways or Wild Places), he devotes a chapter to night walking, largely featuring the First World War poet Edward Thomas and his fondness for taking off on long ways in the countryside at night.

Very fond of Edward Thomas' poetry too. I remember Adlestrop
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 10:21:56, 10/03/18 »
Nighttime walking. Evocative of my long lost youth walking home from the dance. (15 miles from Seahouses). It's amazing how unnerving a sheep cough can be. No matter how used you are to it, sounds like a human coughing.
But I do remember the nights it was worthwhile in the full moonlight. As well as the nights getting soaked to the skin.
Too little, too late, too bad......

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 11:56:51, 10/03/18 »
 I used to walk back from my parents home over the fields to my own home that was on the outskirts of the city-just over five miles.Did it throughout the winter in total darkness and it was very enjoyable.Countryside that in the daylight would be considered very average became far more interesting in the darkness.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 14:05:22, 10/03/18 »
I'm not drawn to walking in the countryside at night because of not seeing the scenery. But I don't mind walking on the seafront in the dark as it's nice seeing it lit up.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 15:13:16, 10/03/18 »
Haven’t done it for years.
However, I do like getting up early and setting off at first light to enjoy the dawn. Best time of the day in my opinion; lots of wildlife, dawn chorus and as an added bonus, it is a good way of beating the crowds if you are walking a popular area like the Lakes or Snowdonia. You are also sure of finding a parking spot and you get the hill tops and views to yourself.  Moreover, in summer you get to climb in the cool of the day and enjoy the red faces coming up as you are going down.
Solvitur Ambulando

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 20:37:18, 10/03/18 »
I did a night walk with a group last year and really enjoyed it. Hoping to do more this year :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 20:43:48, 10/03/18 »
... I don't mind walking on the seafront in the dark as it's nice seeing it lit up.

I used to love impromptu walks along the front in the early hours when I lived in a seaside resort. It's a bit more hassle now that I live in Warwickshire.

I must say I'm not keen on walking 'on the torch' in mountain terrain. In fact, I start fretting about getting benighted soon after midday in the winter :).
Skip

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy