Author Topic: Stronelairg Windfarm  (Read 1506 times)

mananddog

• Veteran Member
Stronelairg Windfarm
« on: 15:38:38, 02/04/18 »

Hi Folks, long time no post. Midge and I are still well although Midge does not do more than about 10 or 12 miles these days and he has had a few trips to Wales and the NYMNP.

The reason for the post is that I am doing another cross Scotland trip from Inverie to Stonehaven Starting on 17/4  and wondered if anyone had been up around Glen Doe recently, there is a big construction project on there. Although there is supposed to be no restriction to walkers this seems to be more than a bit variable so has anyone any first hand experience?

I should have gone up there to check a few weeks a go when I was in Invergarry but ended up doing lots of other stuff and never got the chance.

Jac

• Veteran Member
Re: Stronelairg Windfarm
« Reply #1 on: 09:10:30, 03/04/18 »
Hi M&D
so good to hear that Midge (and yourself too, of course) are still walking - 10-12 miles at his age with no sight is pretty awesome.
Daughter's dog appeared to have a stoke yesterday - just waiting on news. He's 15 and it's not the first:(
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 11:25:31, 03/04/18 »

Midge is 14 and has had a couple of episodes of vestibular syndrome which looks a bit like a stroke but he recovered from it after a few days. I hope your daughters dog has something as simple as this - here's hoping.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:05:37, 03/04/18 »
Midge is 14 and has had a couple of episodes of vestibular syndrome which looks a bit like a stroke but he recovered from it after a few days. I hope your daughters dog has something as simple as this - here's hoping.
Thank you. Fingers crossed. My own dog had similar and recovered completely but she was younger and a bit fitter.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:45:24, 03/04/18 »
M&D, although based in the Heilans, I don't know about any restrictions in that area.  I'm sure they'll be alternative
routes and if a 'main one' is closed, alternatives will be sign posted.  I wouldn't be put off heading that way. It is in a quite a remote area and I don't think many walkers will pass by that area.

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:07:17, 04/04/18 »

Thanks.
I understand they have marked out a route to the Corbett. If my previous experience of rerouting for such construction projects this will be through the most boggy piece of land possible.

The whole area has been designated a construction site 6 Km by 10Km making it technically excluded from the right of access. I will just have to play it by ear when I get there. I have an alternative route if needed.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:46:03, 17/04/18 »
I realise you're leaving today, but as someone who had the misfortune of walking through Scottish wind-farms last year, stay away and re-route if you can.  The ground looks like it's been churned up to put the massive access tracks in which they need to put the (ever increasing) turbines on huge trucks to get to the assembly point.  And then by the time you get to the top it is nothing but huge turbines which slaughter the local birds with their massive blades.  I'd re-route into a little out of the way glen, perhaps a bit more distance but certainly more fun.  Perhaps try going more towards Coignafearn, or moving towards the Eskin then getting yourself in to Aviemore (depending on what you have planned already).  Save trip!

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:14:57, 17/04/18 »
Thanks.  I am on plan B and will avoid the place however it is a huge area. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy