Author Topic: Travel Costs  (Read 2157 times)

johnberman

Travel Costs
« on: 18:29:07, 09/05/18 »
Hi

Myself and two others are travelling by train to St Bees for the Coast to Coast - looking online the cheapest fare seems to be around £200 for 3 of us- Is there a cheaper way ?

Regards

John B

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
Re: Travel Costs
« Reply #1 on: 19:33:13, 09/05/18 »
depends where you are traveling from and when. If you can book far enough in advance it's usually cheaper.

Best advice I'd give though is to look at your journey and note down the trains involved and cost, then look at booking the individual legs of the journey and see if there's a price difference. You could pay a lot less and still be on the same trains you would be on with 1 single journey ticket.

e.g. I just did a random search from my town to St. Bees on June 20th, it comes up as £74.50 changing train twice but I split the journeys into 3 separate tickets on the exact same trains and the total came to £38.90, saving £35.70 (if I can count).

Hope that makes sense?
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

johnberman

« Reply #2 on: 19:37:26, 09/05/18 »
thanks - yes it makes sense

John B

staggerindragon

« Reply #3 on: 20:03:45, 09/05/18 »
Maybe it's because I get to play the tourist card, but I've also had good luck going to a station at a quiet time and asking for ideas at the ticket counter.  They have saved me a lot of money on last minute trips.

Good luck! 

Roburite

« Reply #4 on: 23:15:15, 09/05/18 »

Deolman

« Reply #5 on: 15:10:18, 11/05/18 »
Register yourself with Trainline (https://www.thetrainline.com) They sell tickets at cheap rates when you buy in advance.  I will be travelling to St Bees from Liverpool at the end of June and paid £9.25 for a single. I am now hoping I may get a cheap return trip from Scarborough but at present that is still £67.80 but as it is a weekend I not hopeful of getting it any cheaper..

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:48:48, 11/05/18 »
Register yourself with Trainline (https://www.thetrainline.com) They sell tickets at cheap rates when you buy in advance.  I will be travelling to St Bees from Liverpool at the end of June and paid £9.25 for a single. I am now hoping I may get a cheap return trip from Scarborough but at present that is still £67.80 but as it is a weekend I not hopeful of getting it any cheaper..

If you wait a couple of weeks the price will fall. I just looked at the end of June and it is £67.80 as you correctly said but did a search for 2 weeks earlier and the advance fare prices starts from only £20.10, highest price £34  O0 The advance tickets aren't on sale yet for the end of June.

Just keep checking in the next couple of weeks  O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

johnberman

« Reply #7 on: 11:48:18, 20/07/18 »
Thanks for the advice - waited till the last minute and got a ticket for 34 pounds (york to london)

John B

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 14:04:33, 20/07/18 »
If your up for it, hitchiking is a good way to save money. I have used a car sharing scheme a couple of times. I used BlaBlaCar 2 years ago and got a lift from Fareham. near Portsmouth to Carlisle for £25.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy