Author Topic: Midges in the Rhinogs (which sounds painful...)  (Read 858 times)

Gourdo

Hi
Off to southern Snowdonia with a couple of mates this weekend. Aiming to camp in the Rhinogs. Does anyone have any up to date midge reports they could share? Not sure whether to take my tarp (no fly net), my tent (fly net) or just go bivi bag.  

fernman

• Veteran Member
Re: Midges in the Rhinogs (which sounds painful...)
« Reply #1 on: 11:01:40, 07/06/18 »
They're bound to be about, there were a few when I was in the Moelwyns 3 weeks ago. It's one of the reasons I avoid visiting Snowdonia between mid May and early September.
I'd recommend getting a Pocket Smidge, good for ticks too, but you've left it a bit late for that.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:27:11, 07/06/18 »
Never had any issues with midges here in the Rhinogs, and my home is within twenty minutes walk from the main summits.
With the current hot weather, its inevitable that midges will be on the increase, but ive never encountered any, and i am walking the Harlech dome on a regular basis.
Midges are everywhere, but where suitable clothing, and the chances of getting an unwanted visitor will be reduced considerably.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:18:14, 07/06/18 »
I would take your tent with bug net, have a look at this persons camping experience in the Rhinogs

http://www.hikingblog.co.uk/p/wild-camping-in-rhinogs.html

The wind is going to be light this weekend, even at height, we will be in the Lakes and will be fully prepared for the little blighters. They will be out in force  :(
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy