Author Topic: Balls are getting painful - Foot question  (Read 1151 times)

speedbird1

Balls are getting painful - Foot question
« on: 16:35:26, 07/06/18 »
Hello all, just recently when out walking on pavements after work to get some steps in or when out in the 'open' at weekends i develop a hot / sore / painful sensation on the underside of my right foot directly in the ball area. There is no inflammation, or broken skin, no blisters and every thing looks fine, I even moisturise the 'old plates' fairly often.

I have put insoles into the old boots and that helped for a while, and bought some walking shoes which again were fine for a short bit of time till the same thing again happens as above.

My question is therefore, Is anyone aware of a pad type thing that would just cover the ball area to give a bit more padding?

After googling there is a lot of talk about potential foot injuries (which i don't have) but i cannot find any cushion type things that i believe would help.

When i feel my feet there does not seem to be much padding around the ball so i am effectively walking on the bone with just skin over it.

Any ideas please.

Thank you

Mike
Mike

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Balls are getting painful - Foot question
« Reply #1 on: 17:00:02, 07/06/18 »

Scholl have been advertising gel foot pads recently.  I think they're more designed for anyone wearing high heels - to cushion the ball of the foot from the extra pressure - but the principle is the same.  Maybe have a look in a pharmacy or ask one of the staff.

In the longer term though, finding out what it actually is and how it was caused would be useful for you to know so you can address those issues...

Could your footwear be too narrow?

Or, if it's just started to happen in otherwise bedded in and previously comfortable footwear, it could be Metatarsalgia

I hope you find a solution and don't suffer too much.  You don't realise how much you use your feet until there's a problem (I know that sounds daft because we walk on them every day but...).

speedbird1

« Reply #2 on: 17:07:59, 07/06/18 »
Thanks for that Mel, i will check out Scholl.

regarding Metawotsit, i checked out the symptoms on a few sites and i don't have any of them. I think its purely a padding thing.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:29:57, 07/06/18 »

There is little hope for me then :

Some common causes of metatarsalgia include:

Badly fitting footwear – high-heeled or restrictive shoes can force the ball of the foot into a small amount of space, which puts more pressure on that area.

High-impact sports – sports like running or tennis put extra pressure on the feet.

Being overweight or obese – this can also increase the pressure on the feet.

An unusual bone structure in the feet – having narrow, high-arched or flat feet can increase the chances of metatarsalgia.

Joint and foot conditions – including arthritis, gout, bunions, bursitis, Morton's neuroma, hammer toes,and stress fractures

Metatarsalgia is also more common in older people and people with diabetes.

I am :

An 'older person', overweight, have flat feet,  have a bunion, and am Diabetic - just need to buy some badly fitting boots and I've got a 'full-house'

« Last Edit: 17:36:26, 07/06/18 by alan de enfield »

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:47:48, 07/06/18 »
There is little hope for me then :

Some common causes of metatarsalgia include:

Badly fitting footwear – high-heeled or restrictive shoes can force the ball of the foot into a small amount of space, which puts more pressure on that area.

High-impact sports – sports like running or tennis put extra pressure on the feet.

Being overweight or obese – this can also increase the pressure on the feet.

An unusual bone structure in the feet – having narrow, high-arched or flat feet can increase the chances of metatarsalgia.

Joint and foot conditions – including arthritis, gout, bunions, bursitis, Morton's neuroma, hammer toes,and stress fractures

Metatarsalgia is also more common in older people and people with diabetes.

I am :

An 'older person', overweight, have flat feet,  have a bunion, and am Diabetic - just need to buy some badly fitting boots and I've got a 'full-house'
Or high heels , if you fancy.
Too little, too late, too bad......

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:59:59, 07/06/18 »
Or high heels , if you fancy.

I did try some pretty 'spangly' ones but the heels got stuck in the peat, I fell off them, and twisted my ankle - so - I'll give them a miss this time, but appreciate your suggestion.

rambling oldie

« Reply #6 on: 08:50:01, 08/06/18 »
I had a lot of what I thought was simply hard skin driven discomfort.  As a diabetic I asked my GP's permission to go to a chiropodist, but he referred me to the NHS podiatrist. He said they have the best understanding of the pressure points in the foot.
Brilliant move, he gave my feet a thorough examination and said that although there was some hard skin the main source was claw toes.  He prescribed some special inserts which push up behind the balls of the feet and change the pressure.

Wonderful, never without them now. Walking, ballroom dancing, whatever.

My point is - see your GP and get an appropriate referral.  The experts can suss things we never will.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:21:49, 08/06/18 »
Sorbothane insoles. you could also try walking shoes or good running shoes with plenty of cushioning like Nike Air.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy