Author Topic: Sleeping mat matters  (Read 11239 times)

fernman

• Veteran Member
Re: Sleeping mat matters
« Reply #75 on: 16:02:29, 23/08/18 »
To prevent the mat "getting away" / "running off" as you put it, you could put a bit of anti-slip mat underneath it.
I've been using a 100cm x 30cm rectangle from Wilko for a few years, but in the interests of saving carrying its 96g weight I've just bought some HG Anti-Slip Spray which I'm going to apply to the underside of my Multimat Superlite Compact 25S (which incidentally is 340g, compared with the 513g weight of your Klymit Static V).
I used something similar before on a Thermarest. The result looked like dried Copydex. It was effective at stopping the mat sliding around though it didn't look very pretty and it wore off, had to be re-done after a couple of years.

Just an update on what I posted a month ago: I finally got around to using the afore-mentioned HG Anti-Slip Spray, which is intended for use on rugs and floor mats. The small print on the bottle say it "can be used on just about any surface."
The product sprays on white and uneven, but I easily spread it around with a folded piece of kitchen roll.
It dries colourless but shiny, however it doesn't exactly "dry", it remains tacky. Think of sticking plaster, though not quite as strong, that'll give you an idea.
There is no doubt my ground mat won't slide around in the tent any more, but I'm a bit apprehensive as to whether it will affect the groundsheet at all, in spite of the bottle saying it "does not come off". I'm also wondering whether all the bits of grass, dust and grit that I get in my tent will end up stuck to it. I'm reluctant to experiment to find out, I'm just going to wait till I use them.
Another effect is that when I fold my ground mat down the centre and roll it up (that is how it came originally), the two halves stick firmly together and need pulling apart for re-use.
Have I ruined a perfectly good ground mat and possibly to the detriment of my tent as well? I'll let you know.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy