Author Topic: Bladder for Osprey EXO 48L? Stick with Hydraulics?  (Read 574 times)

Asomodai

Hello everyone.

About to go on my yearly coastal walk. Going for 160 miles on the South west Coast.

I am looking into a new bladder as my current Platypus is leaking. Osprey obviously recommend the Hydraulics 3L to go in the Exo 48L. Should I just go with that or is there a better bladder for the money that will work well in the Exos bladder pouch?

Cheers!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Bladder for Osprey EXO 48L? Stick with Hydraulics?
« Reply #1 on: 09:23:36, 20/07/18 »
I have used a platypus in the past, they were OKish but not as well made as the Osprey bladders which are designed to fit the pack. Moreover, their after sales service is excellent. In my case, when the lid seal developed some black spots after several years of use, they replaced it free of charge.
If your Osprey pack is like mine, there is a small strap located just inside the H2O pocket that will fit through the slot in the top of the plastic frame of the Osprey bladder. This holds the bladder in the ideal position so that it does not slip down too far and keeps the pipe at the ideal length. The bite valve has to be turned through 90 degrees to open it which prevent leaks when not in use and has a magnetic attachment to the rucksack strap - quick and faff free. Moreover, the valve comes apart easily for cleaning.
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:50:19, 20/07/18 »
I have an Exos 48L and the bladders that you can fill from the top without having to take it out of your rucksack are the best. Thats my personal opinion.

My first bladder forced me to empty my rucksack everytime I needed to refill it (a real chore) because it had the water entry point on the face of the bladder. I also had to take the bladder out of the rucksack, which also involved wriggling the tube out of the rucksack as well. A real nuiscence!

I then bought a 2L Source Widepack, ideal! It lasted me about 4 years before leaking two months ago. I became aware of it when I experienced a wet b*m! The Source is also easy to clean because I can get my whole hand into it and wipe the inner surfaces to my hearts content.

I've looked at the 2L Osprey model and this one looks great as well. I am due to purchase another soon and I will choose which one based on the best price I can get.

Asomodai

« Reply #3 on: 13:47:20, 20/07/18 »
Cheers gents.

I have just picked up the 3 litre Hydraulics bladder. Hope it goes the distance!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy