Author Topic: How bad should the weather be before you call a mountain climb off?  (Read 3095 times)

Nomad32

I managed  around 10-12 miles of the rugged Rhinogs is what turned out to be 31C, but due to the very low humidity, i was able to cope with it and soldiered on, and experienced one of the most rewarding walks in Snowdonia ive had in many a year.
My Camelbak was full to capacity, and due to very low humidity in the low 40s the heat was bearable, and staying fully hydrated at all times, i rather enjoyed myself.

Yesterday i walked to Diffwys and back from Bwlch Y Rhiwgyr, and its only 22C here at the moment but with crippling 74% humidity it was far worse than 31C.

I rarely venture out in heavy rain or mist, not because i dislike such conditions, but because if a walk has majestic views, i want to be able to see them and enjoy them.

Its the extreme cold i dislike, and several weeks ago, i turned around and went home when the windchill from the Beast from the East curtailed a walk in the hills.
I hear what you are saying about the mist. I once got to the summit of Snowdon and the visibility was terrible. Total anti climax

Nomad32

There is no way that anyone can give a definitive answer to that question, Nomad; there are far too many variables:

- How high the route goes, and how long it is high.
- How exposed is the route.
- Are there viable escape routes, and how easy are these to follow in bad weather?
- Is there telephone coverage?
- Daylight hours - less room for error in the winter.
- The strength of your party - I would happily go out on my own in iffy conditions, but not with my 11 year old son.
- Is the weather improving or forecast to get worse?

Which summit do you have in mind, by the way?
It was just a general question. I plan on doing the carnnedou mountain range in april. I'm hoping for a clear day

richardh1905

• Veteran Member

I hear what you are saying about the mist. I once got to the summit of Snowdon and the visibility was terrible. Total anti climax

I didn't get a view from the top of Snowdon until my TWELFTH ascent!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

RogerA

Surely its not a question of how bad the weather is but rather is there serious risk to life / permanent injury. Weather will be one of the factors in that but only one.
I've never called mountain rescue but have called on the coastguard - on a beautiful calm sunny but not too hot day. (Not for myself - still gives me the occassional nightmare).
Sorry - I misread the subject line - I had read as:
How bad should the weather be before you call a mountain rescue?
Perhaps I was also conflating with another thread - my above therefore made no sense

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Best recommendation for a Carneddau traverse, is to park in Gerlan, just above Bethesda.
An approach to the main Central ridge, taking in the summits of Yr Aryg and Bera Mawr, is the stuff of dreams in fine clear weather.

From Yr Aryg, you can quickly gain the main ridge itself, and the route towards Foel Grach and Carnedd Lewellyn is very straight forward.

Distances are quite deceiving, as reaching Foel Grach from Gerlan is quite an undertaking, but the rewards are immense.

April is a nice time of the year to venture into the Carneddau, but avoid parking in Aber, as gaining the main ridge is far more rugged, and does not offer the same enjoyment as an approach from Gerlan.

Which ever route you take, its a majestic walk, possibly in the top five best walks in Snowdonia.

Doddy

Visibility is key for me; if you are going to get up there and see nothing I think it is risky and not worth the effort.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
I don't mind poor visibility, makes for a good navigational challenge.  Only thing that would stop me would be if wind made the route dangerous or a risk of lightning.
Where there's a will ...

tonyk

• Veteran Member
Just as a matter of interest what weather conditions would you consider too dangerous for an attempt at the summit?
Any conditions are acceptable.You should remember Mallory's immortal words,"if its a one ticket then so be it". ;)

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
Any conditions are acceptable.You should remember Mallory's immortal words,"if its a one ticket then so be it". ;)

That to me exemplifies the difference between "hard core mountaineer" mentality and typical keen walker mindset.

Realistically I'd never go out on a trip where I didn't confidently expect to make it back safely. Some mountaineers would. Would you??

RogerA

Realistically I'd never go out on a trip where I didn't confidently expect to make it back safely. Some mountaineers would. Would you??
Not a chance - I walk for pleasure, achievement and fitness - not as an extreme sport

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Not a chance - I walk for pleasure, achievement and fitness - not as an extreme sport

Too right. The hills aren't going anywhere - they will still be there tomorrow.

I am fortunate that I am no longer constrained by work so I can pick when and where I walk.  I always have a "bank" of walks prepared, both coastal and moorland. The local forecast is a major factor in selecting when and where I go.  While I walk all the year round and am not phased by poor visibility, I don't enjoy getting wet and cold if it can be avoided, That's just walking for the sake of walking, necessary on multi-day trips but not for day hikes.  If conditions are worse than I am expecting and it doesn't look like it will be fun, I go and find something else to do.
Solvitur Ambulando

tonyk

• Veteran Member

That to me exemplifies the difference between "hard core mountaineer" mentality and typical keen walker mindset.

I climb mountains and hills for enjoyment rather than trying to prove something to myself or anyone else.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
I climb mountains and hills for enjoyment rather than trying to prove something to myself or anyone else.

I assumed that, but that’s not really answering the question I posed...I most likely didn’t phrase it very well. (I think the large majority of mountaineers who go out in dangerous conditions do it for their own enjoyment, not to “prove something”).

You posted “any conditions are acceptable” and quoted (with apparent approval) “if it’s a one way ticket so be it”)

Taking your posting literally...it suggested you would go out in conditions you regarded as dangerous. Would you?

tonyk

• Veteran Member

I assumed that, but that’s not really answering the question I posed...I most likely didn’t phrase it very well. (I think the large majority of mountaineers who go out in dangerous conditions do it for their own enjoyment, not to “prove something”).

You posted “any conditions are acceptable” and quoted (with apparent approval) “if it’s a one way ticket so be it”)

Taking your posting literally...it suggested you would go out in conditions you regarded as dangerous. Would you?
   I have been out in weather conditions that could be considered to be dangerous,especially in the Alps.This has been on long multiday backpacking trips and due to time constraints it is sometimes necessary to push on,even in bad weather.Experience is gained from doing rather than avoiding but I don't put myself into dangerous situations on purpose,they just happen as part of the overall experience.

jontea

• Veteran Member
Climbing Sgorr Dhearg as part of the Ballachulish Horseshoe in the Glencoe area on a forum meet last October, a weather front arrived a few hours earlier than forecast as we began the climb, bringing in high winds and rain.

At the time, it was probably the hardest turn back I’ve done, having booked two days holiday, two nights accommodation and with over 600 miles round trip driven from home I was really looking forward to it. But as a group we collectively decided to abandon the walk.

The conditions deteriorated pretty quickly after turning back and a retreat was the right thing to do for us.
But time, cost and opportunity to walk as well as experience play a part in deciding to continue or not. It shouldn’t, but it does.

In a group, there will always be a varying level of commitment to continue in difficult conditions but if someone feels unhappy about the situation, then it’s time to abandon the walk and stay safe.

I guess it all boils down to your personal comfort level.

Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy