Author Topic: TR - Langdale 14/07/18  (Read 882 times)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
TR - Langdale 14/07/18
« on: 09:28:25, 24/07/18 »
Failing to park at the packed Old Dungeon Gill we just about managed to turn the car round and headed to the next carpark down the valley where places were plentiful.
It was hot, the sun was actually shining, sun screen was liberally applied.
We took the permissive path through the fields back to the ODG then headed up the road before turning right to head towards Pike O Blisco. As we crossed the streams we drank and refilled our water.

There were even views!

There were plenty of people about and as we passed Red Tarn a large group of teens, who had been resting, set off walking with us in the middle of them. I know young people can sometimes be thoughtless but I would hope for better from the leaders who were with them.
We left them as we headed up the slopes of Cold Pike a lovely hill which we had all to ourselves.
As you can see more layers had gone on and it was starting to get cloudy.

We then disappeared in to the cloud as we headed up Crinkle Crags. During a week of poor visibility this was the only time that we got misplaced having taken a path which was heading slightly more west than we wanted. We met a couple who had done a similar thing and, pooling our navigational resources, headed cross country to pick up the path we should have been on.

One of the approximately 47 Crinkles it felt like we visited.

As we dropped down to Three Tarns the cloud was starting to break up again.

Esk Pike

After Esk Hause and Angle Tarn we ticked of Rossett Pike before the long walk down the valley in glorious sunshine.

Looking up to Bow Fell
« Last Edit: 09:40:34, 24/07/18 by Ridge »

April

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - Langdale 14/07/18
« Reply #1 on: 12:43:01, 24/07/18 »
Good that you got some nice weather Ridge  O0 The Crinkles and its very vague path, yes it is easy to go off route here even when it is clear. We lost the path temporarily the last time we went across them a month or so ago in perfect conditions.
Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:19:00, 24/07/18 »
Lovely pics Ridge - love the comment about the 47 Crinkles - I was up there with a mate a couple of years ago in bad visibility and we did every summit just to make sure I hadn't missed the "actual" summit - he wasn't impressed but changed his mind when, just as we finished the clouds pared and we got an amazing inversion!

Cold Pike is on my Claggwright list.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:01:02, 24/07/18 »
Good that you got some nice weather Ridge  O0 The Crinkles and its very vague path, yes it is easy to go off route here even when it is clear. We lost the path temporarily the last time we went across them a month or so ago in perfect conditions.
Was beefy navigating? O0
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:01:28, 24/07/18 »
Looks like an interesting day Ridge  :)
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:50:36, 24/07/18 »
Thanks all for the comments.

I think we were a bit of a disappointment to the woman of the couple we met when we were slightly lost as we had no more idea where we were than her husband. What we did know was how to get back on track.

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:21:23, 24/07/18 »
Great stuff O0
Wot no summit slugs  ;D
Was beefy navigating? O0
Oi...  >:(
Bog off pleb
Yeah and we had limpets  >:(
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:22:25, 24/07/18 »
Nice. Did exactly the same walk about 30 years ago!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:10:53, 24/07/18 »
Great pics Ridge O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:08:42, 24/07/18 »
Thanks all, pleased you liked them.