Author Topic: TR A 3 dayer in Ennerdale Sat 25 to Mon 27 Aug 18  (Read 1918 times)

April

• Veteran Member
Sorry, this is a big one!

Day 1

We had to make the best of the weather this weekend with Saturday being the only nice day. We were out on a 2 nighter and we started off from Gatesgarth at 11.35. There were sunny spells and it wasn't that windy, not a bad day at all as we started up the path over Scarth Gap

Buttermere from the ascent

Fleetwtith Pike and Warnscale

Robinson, Dale Head and Fleetwith Pike from Scarth Gap

We were descending into Ennerdale from Scarth Gap, we wanted to camp near Haycock or Caw Fell.

The Gables and Kirk Fell from Scarth Gap

On the way down the traverse path to the memorial footbridge

The path is loose and awkward to descend it took longer to get to the footbridge than it had to ascend to Scarth Gap from Buttermere. We stopped for lunch near the footbridge. It was windier by now so we didn't stop for long.

Fungi in Ennerdale Forest

We walked through the forest path ascending to Low Beck through the forest, wet, rough and endless!
We then started climbing up Haycock on the Tewit How path, pathless at first until we met the path from Lingmell

Across to Ennerdale

Haycock and Little Gowder Crag

Almost at the ridge wall below Haycock, looking back at our way up

Spot the tent, some wild campers had got a great spot on the Tewit How ridge.

Looking back toward Scoat Fell and Steeple

Beefy on Haycock

We were surprised to see other people about, it was almost 5pm and a long way back down if they weren't camping out. We timed it just right getting on the summit in between two couples.

The Scafells from Haycock

We dropped down toward Little Gowder Crag and got some water from a little tarn on the way.

The MSR pitched below Little Gowder Crag

We have pitched here twice before and it is a great place that provides shelter if not the flattest pitch.
We had some tea and opened the wine. We were inside the tent it was quite cold up on the tops and it was blustery.

The start and finish of the sunset

No sunset view, the cloud had built up too much. We had the rest of our wine, pleased we'd had a good day, we knew the next day poor weather would be arriving.

Day 1 was Gatesgarth - Scarth Gap - Memorial Bridge in Ennerdale - Low Beck - Tewit How - Haycock - Little Gowder Crag 11.3km with 1070m ascent.

Day 2

It started raining overnight and it had clagged in. No views from Caw Fell for us

Beefy on Caw Fell

The wind was stronger today and the rain was being blasted into our faces. We were descending to the Ennerdale Valley to pitch and we started the descent down Tongue End. This ridge is unnamed on the OS map but AW names it in the Western Fells book. As we got lower the wind got less and the rain stopped for a while

A gap in the mist and we had a bit of a view

Looking back Caw Fell was now out of the low mist, typical

Great Borne from nearer Woundell Beck

Fungi

We took a path on the right side of Woundell Beck and found a home made shelter

Shame there is lots of rubbish left here. Too much for us to carry out. An example of how NOT to wild camp

On the way through the forest road eastward toward Black Sail Hut

We stopped for lunch but not for long. The wind was blustery again and the rain was on and off.

River Liza

Pillar Rock

Looking back at the Black sail Hut

The MSR beside the River Liza near Ashcrag Holme

It was early when we pitched about 1.30 I think but we were pretty wet and the wind was really strong. We thought this would provide the best shelter for us. We got our wet things off and had a brew and warmed up inside the tent.

Seat and High Crag

We had a bit of a sleep before we had our tea then we had some wine and didn't bother even looking out for the sunset. The clag had rolled in and it rained on and off for the rest of the day.

Day 2 was Little Gowder Crag - The Tongue - Ennderdale Forest - Black Sail Hut - Ashcrag Holme 12.9km with 302m ascent

Day 3

Next day we were lucky that it stopped raining when we were putting the tent away and it was still dry as we left our campsite. We were going up The Tongue toward Moses Trod.

The footbridge over the River Liza and the route up The Tongue ending up in clag

We couldn't wait to get up into that lot.

Looking back at the Ennerdale Valley

Another tent had pitched near Ashcrag Holme, they were having a lie in.

On the way to The Tongue

Getting across Loft Beck was difficult because of the amount of water in it and we had to descend to the where it joined River Liza to get across it.

Looking back down The Tongue to Ennerdale

Waterfall in Tongue Beck

The rain came as we got to the waterfall and we were in the clag for quite a while. We turned toward the Drum House when we got to Moses Trod. It was very wet underfoot and the weather was pretty awful, wind driving the rain into our faces.

A glimpse of a view down to Buttermere from Moses Trod

We got to the Drum House and reached the Honister Pass half an hour later. We had about 10 minutes to wait for 11.09 bus. We waited until 11.15 and it hadn't turned up. We had got really cold so we started walking to Seatoller to catch the 78 instead which run every half an hour. I then remembered it was Sunday Service and there was no 11.09 Honister Rambler, this only runs Mon - Sat. I must read the timetable more carefully. What a dipstick I am.
Day3 was Ashcrag Holme - The Tongue - Moses Trod - Drum House - Honister Pass - Seatoller 10km with 464m ascent. It had been a challenging weekend again with poor weather but Saturday had been great.
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: TR A 3 dayer in Ennerdale Sat 25 to Mon 27 Aug 18
« Reply #1 on: 18:54:52, 29/08/18 »
Great pics and tr Ape O0
Fancy a wc this weekend
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:29:28, 29/08/18 »
The pics are great, shame you got wet.
Looks like everywhere is back to being lush and green after the dry spell.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:44:47, 29/08/18 »
Was beefy reading the bus times?  ;D
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:53:38, 29/08/18 »
Looks like an interesting trip - apart from the weather on Sunday and Monday!  Sure was wet on Sunday, and Monday morning was a bit grim too - the view up the Tongue is what it looked like when I got there.  I just turned round and walked back to Bowness Knott.  Ennerdale is wonderful but I have had such bad luck whenever I go there it pees down. 

Love the pictures.

MarkT

« Reply #5 on: 21:07:34, 29/08/18 »
Good pics and routes you took.

I'm in that area in a couple of weeks time, one night staying at Black Sail Youth Hostel, hopefully I'll get better weather but still stunning views.

A popular area for wild camping it seems.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:31:32, 29/08/18 »
Great photos April    :)    I especially like the blue skies and fluffy clouds on Day 1.  A shame the weather changed.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:55:37, 30/08/18 »
Fancy a wc this weekend

I do hope we have better weather  :)

Looks like everywhere is back to being lush and green after the dry spell.

It is very wet everywhere, normal service resumes  :)

Was beefy reading the bus times?  ;D

;D

No it was me  :-[  I have no excuse except carelessness

Ennerdale is wonderful but I have had such bad luck whenever I go there it pees down. 

So it was your fault!

A popular area for wild camping it seems.

It is, because it is so remote. The area where we pitched on Sunday did have traces of other people being there, a bit of rubbish left and other unmentionable things.
I hope you enjoy your trip  :)

I especially like the blue skies and fluffy clouds on Day 1

Saturday was a grand day out  :)

Thanks everyone  O0
Hate will never win

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:10:03, 30/08/18 »
Good bit of ground covered there A O0
I think everyone knew we would pay for that great weather sooner or later, August really has been rubbish :(

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:37:18, 30/08/18 »
Great photos & report April O0  I like the look of your camping spot by the River Liza! 8)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:45:36, 30/08/18 »
Some cracking photos there April.  :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:49:43, 30/08/18 »
I think everyone knew we would pay for that great weather sooner or later, August really has been rubbish :(

It has been a bit rubbish, here's hoping September brings some better weather

I like the look of your camping spot by the River Liza! 8)

Thanks sunnydale  :) It is a good spot, sheltered from the worst weather.

Thanks Richard :)
Hate will never win

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 00:07:48, 03/09/18 »
Looks like a great trip.

Seferix

« Reply #13 on: 09:49:21, 03/09/18 »
Beautiful photos! Back in the Lakes this weekend so cannot wait!
214 Wainwrights Completed Once, 173 a Second

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/channel/UCMk8fw1H8m1Mm8jl9kjaDLQ

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy