Author Topic: Suggestions for quick overnighter driveable from Berkshire - South Wales etc  (Read 2407 times)

NeilC

• Veteran Member
I fancy an overnight wildcamping backpack this weekend. I live in Berkshire and there's not a lot around here of interest. I normally go for Dartmoor or Wales. I don't really want the 3-4 hour drive to Dartmoor if it can be helped.

I've previously been to the Black Mountains which is a bit of a small area but only 2:20 drive - could do that again I suppose. One route I've done a couple of times before was near Crickhowell - up Table Mountain and along over Pen Cerrig Calch, camping on the Cwm Banw which is lovely but this would be the 3rd or 4th time I think so ideally something a bit different.

Any suggestions?

nigellionhearts

Staying in the Black Mountain have you ventured up the Grynne Fawr Valley, their are some good camping spots past the Dam & further up past the bothy. 

phil1960

• Veteran Member
Not sure I’d call the Black Mountains a small area myself, but anyway if you already know Cwm Banw, try Tal y Maes bridge just up past the Hermitage, good wild camping spot and fairly sheltered. Mynydd Bychan is also a nice spot, is it primarily the Black Mountains you are looking at? Another lovely spot is just past Blaen Bwch, take the lane from Capel y Ffin past the Grange to its end, follow the path for approx half a mile and look down to the stream Nant Bwch on the left.
« Last Edit: 13:03:03, 31/08/18 by phil1960 »
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
What about the New Forest?
Solvitur Ambulando

NeilC

• Veteran Member
Staying in the Black Mountain have you ventured up the Grynne Fawr Valley, their are some good camping spots past the Dam & further up past the bothy.

I've stayed in the bothy before but it was a while ago so could plan a route more over that direction.

Not sure I’d call the Black Mountains a small area myself, but anyway if you already know Cwm Banw, try Tal y Maes bridge just up past the Hermitage, good wild camping spot and fairly sheltered. Mynydd Bychan is also a nice spot, is it primarily the Black Mountains you are looking at? Another lovely spot is just past Blaen Bwch, take the lane from Capel y Ffin past the Grange to its end, follow the path for approx half a mile and look down to the stream Nant Bwch on the left.

Thanks I'll check it out. The best thing about Black Mountains is the short drive compared to just about any other hilly area away from roads etc.

What about the New Forest?

I'd never even considered it TBH - any pointers there? Is wild camping doable without dogwalkers finding you at 7am?

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
Don’t camp myself but what about Shropshire? Long Mynd area?

thevalleywalker

Have a look at Mynydd Llangorse next time you come want a quickie. There is a place to park your car in the col between ML & Mynydd Troed and a 15 min short but steep incline will get you a nice little pitch overlooking Llangorse Lake

« Last Edit: 12:13:32, 26/09/18 by thevalleywalker »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy