Author Topic: Goodbye Old Friends  (Read 1917 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Goodbye Old Friends
« on: 14:28:14, 12/09/18 »
Three years ago I splashed out on a set of Altberg Tethera boots.  They were comfortable from the get go and did sterling service both home and abroad but, some 2200 miles later, they were in need of resoling so I sent them back to the factory.  The bad news is the factory rang today to say that while they were happy to resole them, I should be aware my big toes had worn through the membrane and the leather on one of the uppers had softened and was beginning to split and although it would be covered by the new rand, they could not guarantee a waterproof job.  They also said if I gave them the go ahead, they would be ready in 4 to 6 weeks. 

There is no way I can stop walking for that length of time so off I went Taunton Leisure to be served by personable young lady who measured me up very competently and sold me another pair of Tetheras so I'm good to go again.  If you are  looking a decent Outdoors shop, I can certainly recommend the Taunton Branch of the shop, there is one in Exeter too but I have only bought laces there.

As to the old pair, I decided to go ahead with the resoling anyway and to keep them as a spare pair (there's posh).  I just hope that the new pair are as good.   
Solvitur Ambulando

MichaelUK

Re: Goodbye Old Friends
« Reply #1 on: 19:02:40, 12/09/18 »
I have the same boots, bought from Tauton leisure in May this year, and I echo your sentiments. I hope mine serve me as well as yours have you. I walked around 500 miles so far. Unfortunately I have an ongoing groin injury, possible hernia, which is curtailing my longer, more strenuous walks.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:26:04, 12/09/18 »
I suddenly realised that I had a groin hernia on day 17 on my 2015 walk on the GR10! No idea when I did the damage but I was unable to do anything about it until day 20 when I reached Lescun. Luckily the young lady behind the counter of the camp site spoke perfect English and phoned around and discovered a medical warehouse in Oleron about 50 miles north. I hitchhiked there the following day and bought a truss! By the time I hitchhiked back to my tent I had decided to march on to the Mediterranean. Worked a treat! When I returned to the UK my hernia was repaired within two weeks, no trouble since. My truss is now in the loft, can't bring myself to throw it away.

On my recent Pyrenees walk I did experience groin pain and I worried that the problem had occured again, but I seem to be OK.

MichaelUK

« Reply #3 on: 07:37:03, 13/09/18 »
Its been going on for around 4 weeks now. I bought a support off amazon which helps. I have an ultra sound scan today, 16:45, so hopefully will get to know more. Then im off night shift!. The thought of a possible operation fills me with horror!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:46:34, 13/09/18 »
Don't be too worried, its an easy op these days. In my case I've been plagued by groin hernias since the 80s. I've had two ops on my left groin which was finally solved in the the late 90s. Unfortunately I was not so lucky with my right groin, over the years I've had 5 repairs over the years but it might have been 6? The last one was in 2015.

The change that I've noticed most is when I had my first operation I was pushed into the operating theatre on a trolley by two nurses and then kept in hospital for 10 days. In 2015 I walked into the operating theatre at midday on a Saturday, had the operation and was home by 6pm the same day. I was in the pub at 7! I only had one pint and didn't stay long because I had to go through all the jokes about hernias and it hurt too much when I laughed.

MichaelUK

« Reply #5 on: 11:51:46, 13/09/18 »
Now that is some repairs!!!! Im impressed, I think. The support does help, keeps me walking thank God.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:44:35, 13/09/18 »
Back on thread - the boots had their first outing today, 7 miles round the lanes of Devon, did not want to get them muddy in case they had to go back.  However, needn't have worried as they were absolutely fine and in my experience road work tends to find the problems.

Now thread drift but away from groins.  My left calf gave out again on the way round.  That is the fourth time it has happened.  I'm walking along, not a care in the world when, without warning, a searing cramp-like pain in the calf brings me up short in a single step  After a while I can carry on but the calf stays painful for the rest of the trip.  The pain seems to be near the top of the calf and it is tender to the touch but with rest and ice packs it usually recovers in 24 to 48 hours.  The incidents are months apart, always in the right leg and seem completely random but happen after I am well into the walk- anyone had the same?
Solvitur Ambulando

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:59:05, 16/09/18 »
- anyone had the same?
Yes, a couple of times, the latest being last week, though never when walking.
The last time was from running up stairs 2 at a time I got a strange pain in my right calf and then, when it has passed, it feels like it is cramping. 3 days later I was fine to go out walking without a second thought.

Back to the thread. Goodbye Old Friend.
Out family tent has given up the ghost and was laid to rest in a campsite skip earlier today, family and close friends attending. Donations, in lieu of flowers, to the New Tent for Ridge charity appeal please.

tenmilesplus

« Reply #8 on: 19:47:16, 15/10/18 »
^^^ LOL...
Gone for a walk, back in a bit..

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 00:31:27, 16/10/18 »
And back on topic.
Finally got my old boots back from Altberg on Thursday. They look really good, no sign of the snags the factory identified and with nice new soles and kick bottom rands. I asked the factory to add in some Svartz insoles and a tin of Leder-Gris Xtreme too.
I spent some time working in the Leder-Gris Xtreme, by gum that is powerful stuff, fairly oozes oil and bought the old darlings up nicely. Gave Mrs N’s boots a birthday with the Xtreme too.  My new Tetheras are coming up to the 80 mile mark and are still virtually showroom but what the heck, they got some too!
Only problem now is which pair to wear on the next trip and which ones to keep for best?
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy