Author Topic: Y Lliwedd and Snowdon  (Read 2659 times)

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Y Lliwedd and Snowdon
« on: 18:26:26, 16/10/18 »
Having reviewed the forecasts for the weekend I swapped Sunday and Monday round and on Monday morning I headed to Pen y Pass for the day.  Parked up at 8.20 and was surprised to find the car park pretty busy, even on a Monday.

The forecast was for clearing skies, though the view south east was not exactly promising when I set off up the Miners' Path

However, things started improving as the cloud lifted.  Snowdon even poked its head up.

My route was to peel off the Miners' Path at Llyn Llydaw and to follow the path up onto Y Lliwedd, a route I've never done.  Y Lliwedd was still hiding as I approached the turn off.  But, as tinypics really doesn't like my photo for some reason, here's one of Snowdon clearing in the sun instead

The route up was far clearer than I was expecting.  The path is well defined, though becomes a little harder to follow as it steepens towards the ridge, and is a little airy in places.  However there is no technical difficulty and the views are amazing.
Approaching the ridge, and the view across, Crib Goch on the left in the sun;

And Y Lliwedd starts to reveal itself

The views for the ridge are sensational - Snowdon, Crib Goch, and, in the other direction the western hills, Yr Aran and, I think, but please correct me, Moel Hebog;

After the initial, smaller peak of Lliwedd Bach, come the twin peaks , East and West.  The walking is up and down, and can be airy if you want it to be, though there is a path away for the edge.  This shows West peak, taken from East peak, and also shows the Watkins path, my route for later.

Every now and then a bit of cloud would appear and make everything look a bit moody;

After Y Lliwedd the descent to Bwlch Ciliau is a bit worn and needs careful attention - no real issues but a coupe of times I chucked the poles down so as to make use of my hands.  I sat near the Bwlch having my morning snack - what a wonderful place to chill;

Then the dreaded walk up the top of the Watkin path - my only comment is that it is steep.  That is all.

View back over Y Lliwedd from the top of the Watkin path

Still very quiet approaching the summit, but then, as usual, there were suddenly hundreds of people.  The train is still running, but, to be fair, most appeared to have walked up.

I made my way over towards Crib Y Ddysgl for lunch in the quiet and more wonderful views

Then it was a descent down the Miner's path, in relative quiet, and great views.

A last picture of the route up Y Lliwedd, taken from the Miners' Path.  The route runs from about a third of the way up the left and eventually emerges onto the ridge slightly left of centre

All in all a cracking day.

clyoung

• Veteran Member
Re: Y Lliwedd and Snowdon
« Reply #1 on: 19:44:29, 16/10/18 »
Looks like a fantastic day  O0

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:09:06, 16/10/18 »
My favourite walking route up Snowdon and that's the first time I've seen it! Always been in near zero visibility every time.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:06:03, 17/10/18 »
We were on an icy Pyg track back in February looking across to Y Lliwedd and thinking we have to go up that way, haven’t got around to it yet but it does look good  O0
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:20:13, 17/10/18 »
Great TR, pdstsp - those photos are breathtaking.  :) O0

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:56:57, 17/10/18 »
Thanks for the comments everyone.  I think this is my new favourite route up Snowdon - but it did feel quite hard work!

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:48:39, 17/10/18 »
Wonderful photos of a great day out  O0 You lucky sod  :D
Hate will never win

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:03:04, 17/10/18 »
Thanks April - nothing lucky about a carefully planned skive  ;) .

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:39:21, 17/10/18 »
Fantastic pics mate  O0
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:41:29, 17/10/18 »
Great TR and pics ... Very jealous  O0
Where there's a will ...

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:57:17, 17/10/18 »
Lovely photos, looked a great day to be out! O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:24:04, 17/10/18 »
Thanks Beefy, Sussamb and Sunnydale - I had a great day. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy