Author Topic: Public transport is terrible  (Read 6405 times)

chriscab

Re: Public transport is terrible
« Reply #45 on: 19:32:23, 30/10/18 »
The trains are an utter disgrace.

We simply don't have the infrastructure for the number of people who live here.

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 08:34:26, 31/10/18 »
Try making up your own walks using the available bus services, rather than trying to fit public transport around specified long distance paths. I did it, a combination of bus and walk from North Lincolnshire to the Lakes and back. I took maps, didn't book accommodation in advance took whatever was available, walked when I felt like it, got on a bus if it was raining.  :D

ilona

This is what I do - fortunately public transport where I go walking isn't too bad...quite good in some places actually.
Walking every week in the Peak District...or somewhere else   http://peakwalking.blogspot.com

Lee in Doncaster

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 08:35:34, 31/10/18 »
Another issue with PT is that it is designed around average sized people from 40 years ago. If you are 6 feet or over and /or not a stick insect, the legroom, seat back height and seat width become a real pain - literally. You end up needing an osteopath at the end of the journey. It’s not much fun for whoever ends up sitting next to you either. On PT I often find I cannot fit my legs into the space behind the seat in front, without being physically wedged in. The bit of the seat that pushes forward to support a hobbit’s neck / head projects nicely into my spine between my shoulders. So, my preference is to use my car and arrive more or less still able to move.

I totally agree....and then of course you need room for your rucksack.
Walking every week in the Peak District...or somewhere else   http://peakwalking.blogspot.com

Ralph

« Reply #48 on: 09:34:24, 31/10/18 »
I live on the outskirts of Nottingham and have used trains & buses to get to the White/Dark Peaks for many years without a problem. Also walked in the Lakes & Norfolk/Suffolk again using PT without a problem. Maybe I'm just lucky.

chriscab

« Reply #49 on: 16:53:57, 31/10/18 »
There is a train station in Lancashire where you have to hold your hand out for the train to stop.

37 427

« Reply #50 on: 15:45:20, 01/11/18 »
There is a train station in Lancashire where you have to hold your hand out for the train to stop.

Quite a number of these on the Cambrian Coast, Conwy Valley and Central Wales Line.

No issue with them until the general public stopped reading the train timetables where a (x) shows that some stations needs to be requested (request to the guard/driver on board or signal to the driver if on the platform)

Though most train crews in the summer season on the coast ignore the request status as the guard physically is unable to get to passengers for example if you board a very of full train at Barmouth for Llanaber a request station 3 minutes away.

The driver will always toot the horn as they approach a request halt, then its the passengers duty to acknowledge the driver, some passengers have been known not to so train goes sailing past..

Doddy

« Reply #51 on: 11:24:08, 02/11/18 »

I will stand up for trains. I do tent and I have a Berlingo micro camper. I have done Hadrians Wall, the Thames Path, the Eskdale Way, North Downs Way, the Arran Way, Skye trail all using PT to get about or back to the camper at night. On Hadrians Wall path I noticed on Google Earth the bus stops were shown and recall a timetable also came up.
 From five o clock finishes on the Pennine Way,via Berwick, and twice on the SWCP once from Bodmin and once from Poole I managed to get back to Lincolnshire on the day.
Yes you have to be flexible and have a wait or two but it can be done, plus no long or short term parking issues.
A black mark for trains is sometimes the passenger behaviour, unruly kids, drinking of adults (one lot thrown off at York). Two Hen parties on different trips I recall with distress; I breathed a sigh of relief when one party got off at Newcastle. As I  had a bottle opener I did help one lot on the way to Manchester airport; very pleased I would not be flying with them.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: 16:08:53, 02/11/18 »
One up for PT today.  It was gorgeous weather today so we did another junk of the SWCP.  Choice of train or bus from one end to the other. Frequent service too, mind you, it must be a fairly unique section!
« Last Edit: 16:12:59, 02/11/18 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Doddy

« Reply #53 on: 16:44:58, 02/11/18 »
Two other paths with good bus connections are the Pembrokeshire Coast path and the Norfolk Coast path; especially in the tourist season school holidays.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: 20:51:44, 02/11/18 »
Another trail well served by PT is the South Downs Way

Ralph

« Reply #55 on: 02:58:52, 03/11/18 »
Doddy, have to agree with you about the Coasthopper service from Hunstanton to Cromer. Just put your hand out anywhere and it will stop if safe to do so. I have used this service many times over the years and it's always been on time.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy