Author Topic: Rab latok V The rest  (Read 2142 times)

wobblyknees

Rab latok V The rest
« on: 17:31:40, 30/11/18 »
I am looking for a really waterproof jacket for Mrs wobblyknees. She says none of her jackets are fully waterproof.

One jacket that comes readily to mind is the heavy duty "almost bombproof" Rab latok. Is there any other one I should be considering? Waterproof is far more important than breathability.

Maggot

Re: Rab latok V The rest
« Reply #1 on: 17:50:14, 30/11/18 »
I am looking for a really waterproof jacket for Mrs wobblyknees. She says none of her jackets are fully waterproof.

One jacket that comes readily to mind is the heavy duty "almost bombproof" Rab latok. Is there any other one I should be considering? Waterproof is far more important than breathability.

What is the budget?

Maggot

« Reply #2 on: 17:52:16, 30/11/18 »
These are blinding.  Heavy, but very warm and mine has never let me get wet!

http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/products/ladies-parka/

wobblyknees

« Reply #3 on: 18:15:24, 30/11/18 »
Thanks for replies.

I'm sorry to say there is no budget. Mrs W wants a waterproof for Christmas, so that overrides everything.

I looked at Buffalo before and seem to recall they are better for warmth than keeping the rain out. I am looking for something that will keep a heavy downpour out for at least 3 hours.

That Parka looks a lovely coat, though.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:12:42, 30/11/18 »

I'm sorry to say there is no budget. Mrs W wants a waterproof for Christmas, so that overrides everything.

Lucky Mrs Wk :)
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:56:18, 30/11/18 »
for function, reliability and performance, I really don't think you can beat Mountain Equipment products.

https://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/womens-outdoor-clothing?cat=162

(you did say money no object, didn't you?)

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:00:27, 30/11/18 »
Waterproof is far more important than breathability.

A 'contractor quality' bin-bag ?

wobblyknees

« Reply #7 on: 21:49:07, 30/11/18 »
Lucky Mrs Wk :)

Yes but spare a thought for poor Mr Wk. If a coat or jacket does not appear on Xmas morning, he will eat Xmas dinner in the doghouse.

https://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/womens-outdoor-clothing?cat=162

(you did say money no object, didn't you?)
I never said that. If it was for myself, I would scour the internet for a bargain, wait for the after Xmas sales and then pounce. Unfortunately when it comes to shopping, all logic seems to disappear from.......
I'd better stop or I will get into trouble for political incorrectness.

A quick look at that ME website nearly gave cardiac arrest. Now that would be expensive.

Maggot

« Reply #8 on: 00:50:53, 01/12/18 »
Thanks for replies.

I looked at Buffalo before and seem to recall they are better for warmth than keeping the rain out. I am looking for something that will keep a heavy downpour out for at least 3 hours.

That Parka looks a lovely coat, though.

Seriously, she won't get wet in a Buffalo Parka.  If it is raining heavily enough to get through one of these, she won't have gone out!

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 08:17:16, 01/12/18 »
Not sure why an eVent jacket would be any more waterproof than say a Goretex one.

I don't get the idea that most jackets aren't waterproof. IME they are until they age to the point where seams start to fail or membranes break down, which takes years.

gary m

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 11:35:15, 02/12/18 »
I have a fab latok jacket had it for about 7 years now, and never felt the need to replace it. My only thing I say with it and many other jackets is, why don't they have a storm flap over the zip
you have 1 life live it

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:08:03, 02/12/18 »
I don't get the idea that most jackets aren't waterproof. IME they are until they age to the point where seams start to fail or membranes break down, which takes years.

Agreed, I'm sure most who think their jacket is leaking are simply experiencing dampness through sweating, not dampness coming from the outside.  Effective layering is the key to reduce that although even then there is often some dampness inside.
Where there's a will ...

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 13:10:30, 02/12/18 »
I have a fab latok jacket had it for about 7 years now, and never felt the need to replace it. My only thing I say with it and many other jackets is, why don't they have a storm flap over the zip

Never had a Rab jacket but surprised given Rab's reputation that they don't have storm flaps, both my Keela and Berghaus jackets have them.  You'll be telling me next they don't have taped seams   ;)

Edit:  They do say they have a 'dual internal storm flap system' https://rab.equipment/uk/latok-jacket-1
Where there's a will ...

snakehips

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 20:23:28, 02/12/18 »
My Latok which I've had for a long while has a storm flap behind the zip  O0
they say that 50 is the new 21 (fingers crossed)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 08:50:48, 03/12/18 »

I'm very pleased with my Mountain Equipment GoreTex Pro jacket that I bought a few years ago. Has withstood everything that three Orkney winters can throw at it - and I do go out with the dog in pretty much any weather. Nice and light too. Cost £265 in a sale and with a Tiso discount card (10%).
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy