Author Topic: WHICH SOCKS?  (Read 2995 times)

darksky

• Veteran Member
WHICH SOCKS?
« on: 02:34:04, 28/09/07 »
 :-\ Can anyone tell me what socks you can stand in water just in socks and water doesn't get through? DO SOCKS THIS GOOD EVEN EXIST? :-\ as a pair advertised  show exactly this..,can i believe it?
« Last Edit: 20:32:08, 28/09/07 by darksky »
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

Deerplay

Re: WHICH SOCKS?
« Reply #1 on: 23:39:22, 28/09/07 »
Personally, I don't think you can get socks like that unless you go for the Neoprene stuff that Divers wear. All walking socks seem a bit breathable and therfore prone to dampness. However I stand to be corrected.
Will this wind be so mighty as to lay low the mountains of the Earth?

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 00:46:42, 29/09/07 »
 :-\ i thought _uck me there good socks i wanna pair..,false advertising.
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

kkm

« Reply #3 on: 21:02:35, 29/09/07 »
while doing a very soggy pennine way, we bought some seal skin socks on route - breathable and waterproof - but you couldn't stand in a puddle or owt in them....believe me - i tried.........! however rob's feet stayed a heck of a lot drier, and mine would have if only i didn't insist in getting inot bogs up to my knee's....!

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:24:32, 29/09/07 »
I am now on my 2nd pair of Seal Skinz waterproof socks, I would't go backpacking in wet terrain without them.   Before, I used to get permanently damp feet with the skin turning white and puffy.  Now they stay dry and warm.

I wouldn't like to actually stand in a puddle in them, though.  They've let me down on occasions, when I've planted a foot in water deep enough to go over the top of the sock.  When that happens, the water gets inside the sock, which then won't dry, and it will smell of rotting cardboard.

Before Seal Skinz, I used to wear thin, wicking inner socks under thick loopstitch wool socks.  Now I wear Seal Skinz under thin-to-medium loopstitch socks (they're designed to be worn next to the skin).

They're machine washable, at 40 degrees.  Tip: turn them inside out for line drying otherwise they take days.

si

« Reply #5 on: 14:56:38, 01/10/07 »
Seal skinz are great i have them for enduro rideing and have been fantastic

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:41:29, 01/10/07 »
yeh im gonna have to buy a couple of pairs of sealskinz as everyone rates them as real good sox..,ive got 2 pairs of BRIDGEDALES a 3 season and a 4 season pair and about 6 pairs of BLACKS own brand but the best pairs they make,they'll do me for now anyhow..,

outdoorgirly

« Reply #7 on: 20:51:06, 14/11/07 »
Diving neoprene socks still let the water in to keep your feet warm nut there are now siome paddling socks made by reed with a thin outer durable layer either with or without fleece on the inside they are similar to seal skin socks

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 13:59:26, 16/11/07 »
For the price of seal skins you could buy two pairs of brigdales and swap them when they get wet...  O0

If you do get seal skins, dont iron them or let them get to hot, as the liner will wrinkle and die...  :-\
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

steffan.j

« Reply #9 on: 22:43:34, 12/12/07 »
There use to be socks like these developed for foolish fishermen such as myself!  ::) Can't find any sources for them though, sorry. However, I have found these links which may be of use?

http://www.waterproofsocks.net/ [nofollow]

Also, on ebay, goretex waterproof army socks:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220150453034&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=012 [nofollow]

may be worth checking out.

Steffan.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy