Author Topic: Cumbria Way  (Read 9022 times)

Crystal

Cumbria Way
« on: 19:28:49, 24/11/07 »
Hi,

I am hoping to walk the Cumbria Way sometime next year, with my hubby, 2 sons and a dog, starting from Carlisle.  This would be our first long distance walk, and was wondering has anybody done this walk, and would appreciate any advice.  We plan to camp along the way.

summitzero

• Veteran Member
Re: Cumbria Way
« Reply #1 on: 01:10:17, 25/11/07 »
Hello and welcome  O0

We would be happy to give you any advice you need, done the walk a couple of times, so fire away  O0

walkingforlife.piczo.com
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Crystal

« Reply #2 on: 11:26:37, 25/11/07 »
Hi,

Thanks for the welcome.
 Well as I have mentioned before, this is going to be our first walk, so naturally we are apprehensive.  Is this a family friendly walk, as my kids normally walk between 5 to 8 miles, and I have visions of them moaning about the distance.  We were going to do one last year, but put it on hold due to the kids, but I got sick of waiting, so last week I decided to make a start at planning the trip.  Am I stupid, just going for it, or should we wait a few years???

More questions to follow.

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:56:51, 26/11/07 »
Hi, i dont think anyone is daft, aiming for something, more so when it is good, free fresh air and adventure.

How old are your boys and dog, do you camp or are you planning on YH/ect ? Are you planning and training ? On most LDPs there are long sections, of which maybe broken down to each persons fittness levels.

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get an overall picture  O0

Crystal

« Reply #4 on: 13:31:29, 26/11/07 »
Hi,

Well my boys are 10 and 12 and my dog is 5.  We would like to wild camp, but we are still deciding on that one.  Training is a must for us as we only walk every weekend doing between
5 to 8 miles, so we need to increase on that one as the months progress. I dont really know what the average daily mileage would be, so we are allowing ourselves 9 or 10 days for the trek.
What was your experience of the walk, was it a good one or bad one?

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:30:51, 26/11/07 »
Hi Crystal

My experience of the C/W, i must say was a good one, i love the Lakes, also when i got to the Lakes on the C/W, i knew i had under 150 miles to go and over 1000 miles was behind me, which is always a good sign. I also knew the area well so i could plan ahead really well, with stops ect.

If your boys are 10 &12 and your dog is 5, and you are all going to train.... (sorry just been discussing your route with some friends ?) We believe it is do-able with fun and mostly widcamping (remember, showers and sweets, beer,wine and pub food is also good).

Just gone over the whole C/W in my head and unless i have missed something i think it will be a good trip, you may have to shorten some of the sections to suite your family but that would not be a major problem. Are you and your husband coming on the week-end meet, only ask because you could talk over the route with everybody ? If not no problem... If you like when i get a chance i will post, what i think would be a good route plan for you.  O0

Crystal

« Reply #6 on: 20:52:14, 26/11/07 »
Hi,

A route plan from you would be most welcome, if you dont mind doing that.  Any advice
would be good.  O0 Where is the weekend meet, need to discuss that one with hubby.

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 00:13:58, 27/11/07 »
Hi, it would ideal for you as it is the Lakes and it is close to the C/W route, by the ODG ect.

There is a whole post for it, you may want to check out, it is under 'Meet Up'.
Also there may be some photos of the C/W on the photograph section under walking for life.

Any help and advice, no problem. I will try and get one to you next week  O0

Crystal

« Reply #8 on: 09:00:51, 27/11/07 »
ok, thanks for that, I will have a look.  :)

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 12:51:10, 28/11/07 »
Hi Crystal,

Your kids are older than mine (my little sprouts are 5+7), but like you, I want them to experience the outdoors as a long adventure.

Mine, I think, are still too young for a LDP, unless it was a very short one, done in short bursts.  But I would be interested in how your walking (and training goes). Keep us informed, eh?

Regards  ;)

Crystal

« Reply #10 on: 11:01:39, 29/11/07 »
Hi,

Yes I will certainly keep you informed of our progress.
 I want to know, how do you keep in good spirits on a LDP, because I have visions of one of us wanting to finish early knowing that we have a lot of miles ahead of us. It does seem quite daunting. Sorry if its a stupid question, but its my only concern.

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:05:39, 29/11/07 »
To be honest, there other people on the forum who walk with children a lot more than i do (Enter Mr B and others) but i can comment on how to keep the motivation up on LDPs.

First; Try not to focus on the end of the LDP, to much. It is nice to imagine how you will finnish and how much you have covered but try and not think about it all the time.

2. Make your goals, small and meduim goals. i.e; the walk you are about to do that day, break it into two. The morning section, then break......................... the afternoon section.

3. Read up on the area and the days walks, so that you can pass on as much information as you can, this helps make the walk a lot more interesting to yourself and others.

4. With children, sometimes it is good to make up stories about the area and the walk. (i also do this with adults).

5. Find places that will interest yourself and the people you walk with and try to vist them.

6. Remember it is NOT a race.... If you find that you need to stop, then stop. After all you are there to enjoy it, if you find yourself or others just walking and looking at the ground, then you are losing the reason of why you are all there.

7. You would be amazed, at how good a warm shower, a warm meal and a good conversation can lift the soul.

I like to finnish on lucky 7, so P.s- What ever you do dont carry to much weight and remember that just by starting a LDP, you have gained so much for yourself and others with you, i really does'nt matter if you finnish it in one go or more. (i know there are some who would disagree but i think the achivement is already there)

Hope this helps, i am sure there will be others that can add to this advice, Mr B, W/G ect  O0

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 17:33:59, 29/11/07 »
Excellent advice there from Summit.

I have to say I have no experience of an LDP with children, but as to keep them motivated (short of using a cattle rod) ..  :)

Mine are of that age where everything is a wonder - I pointed out a Sparrow Hawk to one of them once, and he was convinced it was an eagle.  He loved it and told everybody for a long time afterwards, the other became entranced with a snail he found.  For me, engaging them in wildlife is a large part of it and I enjoy sharing their experience.

We take regular breaks, and have several 'picnics' and when tired feet start to ache, then I use cheating tactics and bribe them to carry on going with a competition - you know: who can find me five different coloured stones (no easy feat), five different shaped leaves, etc.  I realise your children are older than this and so, short of offering to buy them a Nintendo Wee when they get back, give them constant encouragement (like climbing a hill for instance - I often want congratulating for that  ;)), or say they can help Dad put the tent up or something simillar.

Kids love the outdoors, and (I think) love to impress their parents, so you might find it easier than you think  O0

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 12:26:51, 05/12/07 »
Some good points, Cheers Mr B  O0

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 21:55:45, 06/12/07 »
Hi there Crystal!  The Cumbria Way is 70miles which if you're, doing it in 9-10 days is less than 10 miles a day on average  so this should be an easy route, but as you're taking the children they should be able to manage it as well.  Take breaks when you feel tired you could put a rest day in for the children as this might not put them of or make them start moaning  along the way, camp once at a camp site as  any problem can be dealt with at camp.  I would advise that you take up camp long the way as if you do come cross a problem you got an escape route.  Have you check the Ramblers website out as this might help in some ways.  Don't underestimate the Cumbria Way. To walk it is a considerable achievement also there are books out there for the route.  I not done this one before so I really can't give any advice on it.  But having done a LDP before.  The satisfaction and the memories could last you a lifetime on this route and I hope you fully enjoy and as for the children I hope this will be an adventure of a life time and many more to come.   ;D 

The Cumbria Way and the Allerdale Ramble by Jim Watson

The Cumbria Way by Anthony Burton
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy