Author Topic: Are most people lazy??  (Read 5071 times)

susiej

• Veteran Member
Re: Are most people lazy??
« Reply #15 on: 21:22:44, 18/07/10 »
Well people's lives are all very different, working hard all week with very little time to do anything other than take a breath, take the kids to football practice and do the shopping at the weekend. For example, I haven't been out 'walking' for a few weeks now ( I have been for walks but the regular taking the dogs out kind of way), but I can assure you that I have not been sitting idly watching telly....wish I had actually....
having said all that...I think that lots of people are lazy, but that has always been the case   ???
take it easy...but take it

www.yogaunionswansea.org

snowslider

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 21:30:30, 18/07/10 »
- whatever would it be like on top of Snowdoin, if everyone gave it a go?

it would be like this  ;D ;D ;D

Willowisp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 21:40:37, 18/07/10 »
I am lazy :) but a special kinda lazy i thinks  O0
Willowisp - Beasty known for leading folks astray
Aka
Dan from Surrey don't you know. what what...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46705169@N06/

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 21:54:50, 18/07/10 »
I thought they did :-\

Well I know far more people who don't even know where it is, than people that have walked up it.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 21:57:48, 18/07/10 »

it would be like this  ;D ;D ;D

I reckon there were more people up by the Cantilever stone in April than there were when we went up Snowdon last month. In fact, there were more people in the cafe on Snowdon than there were at the top.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

judi.judi

« Reply #20 on: 22:24:06, 18/07/10 »

I reckon there were more people up by the Cantilever stone in April than there were when we went up Snowdon last month. In fact, there were more people in the cafe on Snowdon than there were at the top.
  I think the cafe has spoilt it really its a shame to have tht stuck on top with lovely views.  I have friends my age who think im mad to be walking more they sit in front of telly most nights i prefer to do things so i can make the time to walk if only a few miles.  I think its becoming more common with younsters my son at uni has started now with a lot of them which is great.

Highfieldbri

« Reply #21 on: 22:40:35, 18/07/10 »
Most days, if not working, I get out onto thw Wolds around our area. Some excellent walking around here, but apart from a mile or two outside town, where most of the dog walkers go, I can walk for hours, rarely seeing another soul, other than the odd farm worker. most of my walks are done midweek because I work weekends, but it tends to be much the same at weekends anyway.
I think part of the problem is that many people nowadays are worried about getting away from areas they feel secure in, therefore tend to keep within easy reach of home. The spirit of adventure is being lost. If I ask my youngest daughter if she fancies coming for a walk, the reply would be something along the lines of "are you mad, why would I want to do that?" whereas not too many years ago, she'd have jumped at the chance to go walking. Peer pressure, can't be seen out with a parent, not geeky waking anyway...spending money..YEAH. Once you get out of the habit of exercise it can be very difficult to get it back, I think this is true for a lot of people.
Anyway i'm rambling a bit, so that my bit said.
Bri

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 23:17:42, 18/07/10 »
The correct word is Apathy, not Lazy. 

It is something I've observed in my area [an outer London borough] over a great many years, when I've got kitted up on a Sunday in the months between autumn and spring and gone out for a longish walk, while hardly a soul in my street of circa 50 houses ventures outside other than to nip up the road for a paper or something.  Consequently, when I've arrived in the relatively nearby Chilterns I've always been amazed at the numbers of people out walking, horse riding, canoeing etc.

Also I worked as a service engineer for 28 years, calling at 11 addresses a day, when it was very evident to me that the majority of the public, and most particularly women, were so used to their artificial environments of warm, comfortable homes, cars, shops and workplaces that they were almost terrified of getting a little bit cold or the least bit damp from a shower.  These same people, I quietly observed, were also extremely unlikely to have anything at all in their wardrobes that we walkers and oudoors types would regard as sensible and protective.

Plainly these folks would regard the idea of spending a day walking in the rain, or spending a night in a tiny tent on a draughty mountain, and enjoying it, totally abhorrent and perhaps they looked upon those that did it as being a bit mental. On the other hand, I have always wondered how they would fare if they suddenly found themselves having to fend for themselves following some sort of large scale disaster, and having to survive with no shelter, no heating, running water or sanitation and no prepackaged supermarket food.

langsettranger

« Reply #23 on: 23:40:50, 18/07/10 »
Let me set the scene. I was out walking by myself on sunday afternoon on the Ridgeway and surrounding paths for about 4 hrs. The weather was fantastic. But I only saw 8 people and two of those were on bikes. And that got me thinking...should I be pleased that I can enjoy the great countryside almost by myself? Are people generally lazy? I can't understand why more don't take advantage of what is on their door step.

Your thoughts please.

Thanks

Martin

I've never asked "most people" so I don't know if they're "lazy" or not.

Me, I can't be bothered to walk anymore, so I am lazy, and I enjoy it.

The couch-potato life for me. I don't want some Public Health nurse who's as wide as she's tall telling me I should exercise more. My response to her/him would be "see you in the queue in front of me, sweetheart".

I like my double-glazed, central-heated, microwave-meal life, it's just great. Gives me more time to do just - NOTHING - it's gr8 now that I'm retired.

LSR - The Langsett Stranger - retired night soil shifter, citizen, dog, lion and black buck mini lop trainer

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 09:03:31, 19/07/10 »
Are most people lazy? I don't know. Some will walk, some go to the gym, play football, cycle with the kids: others will garden, do DIY, or obsessively do housework, or wash the car. Just because I can't understand the enjoyment of people who do the latter 4 doesn't make them lazy, just different.

Then there is the contrast between being physically lazy and mentally lazy: is someone who, for example, reads all day actually lazy? Keeping the mind active is as important for good health as keeping the body active.

But I suspect there are many who could be described as being lazy whichever description you apply. Those who spend their life watching TV, playing computer games (world biggest waste of time IMHO!), shopping (appalling passtime), etc, etc, and for whom the concept of actually doing anything that requires any input from them is totally alien. I'm sure there are plenty of these too.

Like many, I have a full time job, other hobbies and other commitments too, so I don't get out anywhere near as often as I would like. On average I do about 12-13 miles per week (which to lots of you on here will seem p**s poor  ;D ) but I calculate that, taking out time for all the other things, I do as much as I can in the time available, so I am relatively happy and wouldn't consider myself lazy.

But there is also a principle whereby the casual walkers/outdoor fan will often migrate to the well-known honeypots, so if you walk outside of these areas and at off-peak times (pun intended!) you may well avoid them anyway.

So, as far as clogging up the hills goes, my own feeling is that I don't mind what anybody does as long as it doesn't unduly affect me. And, even if it seems a little selfish on my part, if that means them not being out for a walk when I am - great!  O0 ;D

mananddog

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 09:51:26, 19/07/10 »
I think the original post does not distinguish lazy from physically inactive. There are people who lead busy lives and are not physically active - they use their car, might work long hours, etc so they have a behavioural avoidance of activity - their lifestyle does not include activity.

Are most people physically inactive - most probably.

I get a very distorted view of my own activity levels. At the moment I am not as physically active as I used to be for various reasons. However, I recently conducted a piece of research on physical activity levels in normaly healthy people and people with chronic illnesses (heart disease, chronic pain, etc) using devices that people wear for 2 weeks which monitor their activity (a very sophisticated sort of pedometer).
I checked myself against the healthy normal people we studied and I was in the top 5% for physical activity. I mistakenly think of myself as averagely physically active - I now have to review this in the light of the results - and this was on a relatively lazy period when I only went to the gym twice but was out with the dog twice a day, and working the allotments as well as sitting on my butt all day at work etc.

In our study, on average the healthy people were more active than those with a chronic illness but this was distorted by a relatively small number who were very active. Most of the healthy people were no more active than those with a chronic illness. There were some people in the chronic illness group who were more active than the healthy people. Whether you call that lazy is a moot point, certainly the average healthy person in our study was not physically active and a minority reached or exceeded 30mins of moderately intense activity 5 times per week (equivalent to a brisk walk) - the minimum recommended activity level.

Dixie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 11:16:29, 19/07/10 »
6.5 mile run this morning with Sid  O0 . Now its time to be bone idle  ;) . TV, pots of "T" and messing about ont interweb.

JsWalks

« Reply #27 on: 16:16:22, 12/03/18 »
Let me set the scene. I was out walking by myself on sunday afternoon on the Ridgeway and surrounding paths for about 4 hrs. The weather was fantastic. But I only saw 8 people and two of those were on bikes. And that got me thinking...should I be pleased that I can enjoy the great countryside almost by myself? Are people generally lazy? I can't understand why more don't take advantage of what is on their door step.

Your thoughts please.

Thanks

Martin

YES THEY ARE! It's as simple as that! Which is why I always promote walking in videos I produce.
J.

jswalks.blogspot.co.uk

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 16:48:13, 12/03/18 »
A reflection of modern life maybe? For a start, we now live in an area where people are so dominated by their cars and my wife and I know local children (and adults) who will scream and wail if they are asked to walk anywhere! Lazy, not sure, is it more to do with the possibility that people generally, lead far less interesting lives than perhaps they did before? I know they go on package hols and so on, all very safe, no risks, eat and drink, thats what their lives seem to be about. HOME entertainment today is very dominant, take aways, everything is at hand, why do anything when we have a screen to look at while we munch away the hors. I can waste time and do, in the evenings (watching films, etc) but rarely when its daylight. Being alive is precious now that I am older, very precious indeed!

There seems to be that other trend as well, the desire to be 'safe', to be free of worry, to not suffer even from cold, we must always be 'happy' and so on and oh yes, the problem of darkness and that other anxiety, the WEATHER! Its so terrible that yesterdays weather was different than it is today and to be so anxious that tomorrow might be different as well. Sorry, I'm on my soapbox today.

In my pub I am seen as a weirdo, at 72 likes hiking, mountains, moors, weather and sleeping in a tent. A right nutter and he walks alone, a double nutter!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 18:12:35, 12/03/18 »
Do you walk along muttering to yourself?  That's the sign of a true nutter!  I don't - I walk along singing to myself which puts me beyond nutter.

By the way, I've heard of resurrecting old threads but this one started in the Jurassic.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy