Author Topic: Mountain Rescue  (Read 8928 times)

bubbles

Re: Mountain Rescue
« Reply #45 on: 07:44:49, 15/05/08 »
Have you read the information lately about them?  It's corallated on
http://www.equineramblersuk.co.uk/personal-locator-beacons.php [nofollow]

It would be impossible to make carrying a PLB mandatory.  Those that carry one are more likely to be responsible people.  Are you saying that we should withdraw them from marine and air use because of false alarms or early activation?  I don't see why there's so much fuss about changing the law in order to save lives!

It's cost effective for the SARs as the casualty, when pin pointed, requires less effort to search for.

:) The original posting was about relying on GPS and being able to read a map.  You should be able to read a map before venturing out into the countryside, but this won't prevent accident or illness as stated before which is where the PLB slots in to the scheme of things.

tryfan

« Reply #46 on: 00:33:58, 20/05/08 »
It shows how times have changed. We decided years ago not to leave our routes when climbing / walking in Scotland. Part of the allure of the wild is being totally dependent on your own abilities and if you fail so be it. I have always had the view that you are totally responsible for your own safety - at the end of the day the risk is what makes it fun.

bubbles

« Reply #47 on: 08:23:56, 20/05/08 »
 :)  I totally sympathise with you Tryfan on that point.  The PLB allows you that but should you really need help it's there in your pocket. I love exploring new places out in the wilds but instead of doing it on foot I do it on horseback.  Why not take advantage of the technology for your well being when the chips are down?

mattsccm

« Reply #48 on: 18:23:33, 20/05/08 »
Surely its the knowing its there thats the safety blanket.  some people would push the boat out knowing that they had a back up. Some less adventerous types might go out more.  To me the whole point of this game is the adventure. Its like making the judgement abut carrying axe and crampons. You take a gamble and if it goes wrong its your responsiblity. 
To my mind the whole point of being out doors is to get away from modern life.  I regard the use of these beacons awith the same contempt that I have for those who take their phones with em into the hills. Grow up.  If you can't stand the heat ....etc
What is the point of supposedly making life hard for yourself then making it easy?

bubbles

« Reply #49 on: 21:08:09, 20/05/08 »
mattsccm You'll cause more hassle for the SARs if they don't have your coordinates and send the whole crew out looking for you, putting them at risk and taking longer to get to you.   ;D  ::) Clever boy with your macho ideas!

As to taking more risk I don't see why that applies at all. It's more sensible to use this technology than to leave it behind.  You still can enjoy being away from it all - you're not being tracked!

mattsccm

« Reply #50 on: 21:59:11, 20/05/08 »
Rather pessimistic view point I reckon. But then in 30 years on the hills my only experience of the rescue teams is being part of several.  Lets be blunt. Need ing a team in the Uk is something you have to try very hard to do.  getting lost is  as near as damn it impossible, just how far can you walk before you hit a road. Sensible gear or route choices means weather isn't an issue and falling off steep ground doesn't happen if you are careful. There are no such things as accidents, just stupidity.
The whole thing is just aprt of our instant, I'll just buy it attitude nowadays. People don't learn over a period of years with mates or a club, they buy a weeks course or learn to climb at a wall and then expect to go out and do something spectacular. Taken to the extreme look at Everest.  Buy a trip then sue the guides if it goes wrong!
Each to their own but what i don't like is the fact that we are being pushed into being safe.  We have reached the point that cyclists knocked off their bikes but not wearing a helmet are recieving less compensation.  How pathetic.  The time will come then we will be branded irresopnsible for not having our own electronic security blanket and the next step will be penalties for the same. look how pathetic our legal sysytem is over liability and training. if you haven't got the correct peice of paper nowadays you get hammered.  me, I'd rather be out with some one who knows what they are doing than some one who relies on some thing else.  This subjectwas addressed a few onths ago on UKclimbing. something.  The consensus from many rescue teams was they would rather a few idiots stayed at home rather than buy this kit.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: 10:11:46, 21/05/08 »
There are no such things as accidents, just stupidity.
I can not agree with that, there are times when a number of circumstances come together over which you have no control .
The consensus from many rescue teams was they would rather a few idiots stayed at home rather than buy this kit.
But would they prefer the idiots to be easy to find if they are going to be there anyway?

Following your argument would you like to disband all MR teams?

mattsccm

« Reply #52 on: 10:23:39, 21/05/08 »
No they would prefer the idiots to stay at home.
As on the other form this is now getting pointless.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #53 on: 11:04:43, 21/05/08 »
We would all prefer the idiots to stay at home but I'm not sure it is going to happen. Perhaps them falling off cliffs is natural selection in action and we should do nothing to discourage it :)

Don't view the thread as pointless just because people have differing views to yours. It is then an opportunity to put across our own ideas and open up other posters opinions for discussion, and is much more interesting than a long line of posts saying 'I agree' and 'me too'.

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #54 on: 22:37:19, 22/05/08 »
My opinion is ''safety should be paramount'' you ask all the professionals in anything that has an element of danger about it and they will all say..,safety comes first, and anything that keeps you safe has my vote.
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy