Author Topic: Plynlimon  (Read 3368 times)

peter60

Plynlimon
« on: 08:05:12, 07/09/07 »
Not one of our favourite mountains, but for anyone looking for a change of scenery and a feeling of utter remoteness, Plynlimon is certainly a prime candidate. There are no paths on the plateau, no landmarks, just wilderness. Amazingly, it is only a short distance from a main road and civilization, but you wouldn't think so when you're up there!

I had to make the pilgrimage there as I live near the River Severn which rises on Plynlimon, as does the River Wye. Walks details here.

darksky

• Veteran Member
Re: Plynlimon
« Reply #1 on: 20:36:38, 18/09/07 »
never been there,but looks beautiful,good pic by the way, is that a camera or mobile phone?
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

peter60

« Reply #2 on: 07:55:19, 19/09/07 »
The photo is a "stitch" of two digital images taken with a Sony 3MP digital camera. It has been reduced in resolution for posting. I've got a programme called "Stitcher" which I got free with a computer magazine once. Amazing what you can get for free these days!  :)

If you like playing with photos, there's an open source (free) programme called the Gimp. It's available from Sourceforge.

It's quite satisfying to know that you can still climb a 2,500 foot peak in Wales that next to nobody has ever heard of!

PS. Happy birthday!  :)
« Last Edit: 09:12:56, 19/09/07 by peter60 »

Snowman

« Reply #3 on: 09:50:49, 19/09/07 »
Plynlimon is part of the Cambrian Way, but I've never seen the view as it was covered in cloud when I went up it.    Nice to see what I missed.

Not far away is the source of the Severn, which when I went there was totally undetectable.    I've been wondering what it would be like after this summer's rains.

S.

peter60

« Reply #4 on: 09:57:46, 19/09/07 »
The shot was taken about 6 weeks ago after all the rain. It was quite spongy underfoot. I doubt whether you could actually find a single spot and say definitively, "This is the source of the Severn or Wye", the whole plateau is a huge watershed.

You were brave to be up there in the mist, Snowman. There are virtually no features in the landscape, no paths, no waymarks, nowt! My route took me off any official right of way using access rights. More pics here.

Snowman

« Reply #5 on: 13:49:27, 19/09/07 »
Hi Peter60 - you aren't brave if you don't know what you've missed because you can't see anything, although the accolade is appreciated.

I spent some time a while back honing my map and compass skills in the ranges of West Dartmoor.    Very few features at all to help on the open moor, so I'm quite confident with those tools now.

Actually I did have a bit of a go at Ordnance Survey about the Plynlimon area, because the Cambrian Way takes a route that goes from one map to another then another in about half an mile or so on the 1:25000 (if I remember correctly), with no overlap at all.    I bought the middle map which comes out for about 10 minutes before you walk off it, but I know someone who decided to 'wing it', which I thought was a little dangerous so asked OS to provide a bit of overlap.    They agreed to consider it although they pointed out that the Cambrian Way is not an official path.

S.

peter60

« Reply #6 on: 14:09:48, 19/09/07 »
My compass skills are pretty good too. I use mine a lot, even in good visibility. It provides a lot of assurance. I just hate walking with no view!

I know what you mean about spanning two maps with no overlap. A recent Herefordshire walk on the Mortimer Trail crossed from one Explorer map to the next and back and then back again as the path snaked around. As my map case is transparent front and back, I opened up both maps inside it and just flipped it round as required.

I think that's probably less inconvenient than having an Explorer map that's double sided and having to constantly turn the blessed thing inside out!  >:(

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy