Author Topic: secret post boxes  (Read 4174 times)

old jock

secret post boxes
« on: 16:52:32, 18/10/09 »
Hi, I'am new to this forum but am a keen but also newish hillwalker living less than 40 minutes from the peak district, i have just heard about the secret post boxes in the peaks, can anyone help me with the map references/ co-ordinates for these, or do you have to be a member of a secret society....! O0
Get up that bloody hill,.... it's not that far

Peakbagger

• Veteran Member
Re: secret post boxes
« Reply #1 on: 16:56:39, 18/10/09 »
By post boxes I presume you are refering to Geocaches. There are a few members here that are into Geocaching so they should be able to answer your questions but in the mean time checkout http://www.geocaching.com/ for more info.

By the way, welcome to the forum! O0
Current Munro tally: 78 out of 282 completed so far.

All 190 Welsh Nuttalls completed.

old jock

« Reply #2 on: 19:23:23, 18/10/09 »
Thanks for that Peak bagger, but not to sure....been on there site but I'm not one of those who use or even like these devices, just interested in finding these little beggars, gives you an extra little edge on your walk, although after my first outing onto Kinder Scout last sunday these little G.P.S. systems would have been handy at one point slowly my views are changing   O0

stevieboy378

« Reply #3 on: 20:26:38, 18/10/09 »
Walk down Lathkilldale from Monyash. About 20 yards before you reach the cave where the river emanates look left, across the valley. You'll see a large boulder. There is a cache under this boulder. Feel free to fill in the log and leave a trinket, but be careful to conceal the box well when you're done  O0
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ! . . .
. . . .except the weasels." - Homer Simpson

Steve Wilcox

old jock

« Reply #4 on: 20:39:14, 18/10/09 »
Thanks for that will try and find that one. do you have the map reference, not for G.P.S. cos i aint got one  ;)

stevieboy378

« Reply #5 on: 20:56:56, 18/10/09 »
Thanks for that will try and find that one. do you have the map reference, not for G.P.S. cos i aint got one  ;)

SK 17043 65924
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ! . . .
. . . .except the weasels." - Homer Simpson

Steve Wilcox

old jock

« Reply #6 on: 21:14:36, 18/10/09 »
Thanks for that, I'am now in the process of planning the next walk with a difference....!

Requiem

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 15:27:56, 20/10/09 »
Kinder Scout in particular has a few Postboxes - these are pre-Geocache and have been going on for quite a while. They norally are either plastic boxes or ammo boxes with a notepad for jottings and often a few related bits of non-perishable stuff. I left a pink elephant in one of them a few weeks ago - if anyone finds said Elephant his name is Tusky.
Karas Box and the box at Golden Clough have become increasingly well-known and unfortunately have suffered through people pinching the box or not looking after it to the point that they have to be removed and dried out. The Kinder River box (which is tricky to find) has a nice rubber stamp in it, but on the past few times I've been there the ink box has been missing / removed. This ones been around since my dad was a regular up there nigh-on 30 years ago.

Karas Box seems perpetually to be removed and vandalised - while the Golden Cl box last time I looked had a mouldy mashed up piece of (yuk) Kendal Mint Cake mashed between the pages of the notebook. The most tricky one to find is the one in the hidden bothy shelter near Sandy Heys.

PT Business: poshpollyprints.co.uk
Twitter: @pollardroy
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/roypollard/
Facebook: Roy Pollard

old jock

« Reply #8 on: 18:27:30, 20/10/09 »
Thanks requiem that's the ones i was wanting to find out about, the pre geo-cache, just thought it would be a bit of a challenge (as if the walking isn't) to try and find some of these and leave my mark...any chance of some co-ordinates, if you dont want to post them here you could mail me on 

[email protected]

O0

Requiem

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:40:38, 21/10/09 »
Thanks requiem that's the ones i was wanting to find out about, the pre geo-cache, just thought it would be a bit of a challenge (as if the walking isn't) to try and find some of these and leave my mark...any chance of some co-ordinates, if you dont want to post them here you could mail me on 

[email protected]

O0

OK, I'll try and get the GRs to you in the next few days when I can find the map I have them marked on. Must admit these postboxes are in pretty interesting and diverse places up on the plateau so they'd combine into a good walk to show the diversity in views, features and even wildlife up on the High Peak. Let me knoe when you're planning to do the walk and I'll try and tag along.
R
PT Business: poshpollyprints.co.uk
Twitter: @pollardroy
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/roypollard/
Facebook: Roy Pollard

old jock

« Reply #10 on: 18:36:50, 21/10/09 »
great thanks for that requiem away to corwall next week so not be back in the peaks for two week.  ;D

KIDSTYPIKE

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:51:35, 21/10/09 »
There is also a box in the SW Lakes on the summit of Beacon Fell commnly known as Beacon Fell. It is "owned" by Connie McMahon the daughter of Sean who runs the Striding Edge website. It as been through the wars in the last couple of years but still survives. It is located within the summit cairn although no damage to the cairn is necessary to locate it.
In the picture below it is on the right hand side but normally is located in the dark hole on the left.

Regards,
Dave

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy