Author Topic: Hi everyone!  (Read 2464 times)

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
Re: Hi everyone!
« Reply #15 on: 09:33:39, 25/04/19 »
Hi Sarah and welcome from the Peak District O0
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 19:59:16, 25/04/19 »
Welcome Sarah from Sunny Devon.
 Perhaps that's secret - if you can't see it it can't scare you!  I do remember a big hole after going under the railway track that I nearly got blown down though.  I definitely wasn't a day to have for looking over the edge.

I'm also scared of falling/slipping and more so as I get older but not too scared of actual heights.  Was determined to do Striding Edge and found that as there was low mist I was fine and luckily the mist didn't clear until I got to the top. Yet I can be a total whimp on a gravelly 6 foot slope with water below.
One suggestion - however fit you are stay in touch with your companions.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 15:10:15, 02/05/19 »
I think a lot of us can relate more to the fear of falling especially as we get older.  We walked up Snowdon last spring and came down the Snowdon Ranger path.  I think that is one of the easier paths and although I didn’t enjoy it as much as the Rhydd dhu path (which is the one we ascended by and I wouldn’t recommend for you) it may be a good alternative to the Llanberis path.  I don’t recall there being any particularly steep scree bits, although there is loose stone.  Maybe check it out online? It’s certainly much quieter than some of the other paths. I do use poles on steep ascents and descents which helps.

astaman

« Reply #18 on: 09:29:21, 03/05/19 »
Welcome to the forum from Shetland Sarah. Good advice all round above. As Richard suggested stick to routes that don't frighten you. Most of us have suffered from some anxiety or other in our working and domestic lives, this is another variation on that. The object of hill walking is to enjoy yourself so just don't do things that get in the way of that. Your confidence may grow as you experience steep places but personally I wouldn't bother to press that either.

In addition to routes suggested above remember that the national and other marked trails rarely involve any great degree of exposure. Enjoy your walking and welcome once more.

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 17:49:12, 03/05/19 »
Have you considered joining other walkers who may have more experience with the things you are wary of. I have definitely found that having the company of someone who has done these things does help confidence wise. Maybe a local ramblers group and when you are away look up walks by ramblers groups in that area.
It's all uphill from here.

Zizag

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 18:26:59, 03/05/19 »
 :) Greetings from North Cheshire.I can advise you to try more low level walks to build up your confidence .Checkout the Staffordshire way.  maily flat with rolling hills . Nice area to start around Rudyard Lake old railway  tracks and trails .and nearby
also Meerbrook ,Tittsworth Reservoir area lots of Circular walks .The South Cheshire Way Near Mow cop Is a good walking area with parts of the Gritstone Trail . You can Mix and Match any of These Check out the O/s Maps for this area .These are right on your Doorstep via Ashborne And leek .Good luck . Dont Give Up ,Keep trying . ;) ;D O0

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 18:48:02, 03/05/19 »
I agree with Bigfoot Mike, I remember those days as a tenderfoot when I lacked confidence, I remember the first time I climbed up Striding Edge, I was certainly out of my comfort zone, but once done, easy peasy!

I've fallen over so many times, luckily never injured, mostly embarrassed. I've always found that one never falls with grace and dignity, in my case legs and arms flailing in all directions! The good thing is that when hiking, to my knowledge, no one has ever seen me fall.

I also remember the day when I walked my first footpath edge, clung on to every rock I could find for a while, gained my confidence and never looked back.

The only problem I have not been able to solve is how to wild camp and sleep well at the same time. My imagination tends to run away with me and I still have all sorts of weird dreams. My weirdest recent one was wild camping one night on Hadrians Wall, it's so easy to get carried away with the time span and the location of it all, I saw Russell Crowe everywhere!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy