Author Topic: Another map qustion  (Read 2415 times)

dinger

Another map qustion
« on: 18:35:59, 20/04/17 »

Carrying full size maps can be a pain in the backside especially high winds.
I don't have a good printer so printing is not really an option at the moment, but where can I purchase a4 size maps of areas I want to walk at 1:25 scale if there are any around.

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Another map qustion
« Reply #1 on: 19:07:14, 20/04/17 »
I don’t think you can dinger  :-\   The A4 maps people refer to are most likely printed out or photocopied from a larger map.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:13:20, 20/04/17 »
Depending on area walked may be worth looking at OS AZ Adventure format...these are ordinance survey mapping in Atlas (booklet) mapping with index for places/ features....cover some of the "normal" talking areas like Dark Peak, White Peak, etc.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:22:54, 20/04/17 »
The answer is to buy colour printer, they aren't that dear. I print off A4 sheets of the 25k maps at 12500 scale using Memory Map. They are easier on the eyes at that scale. I keep the sheets in the plastic wallets used to keep documents in clip files. They fold easily into 4 to slip into a pocket. You can put in 2 sheets back to back and if need be, you can keep extra sheets between then, extracting and pocketing the used sheets as you go. The wallets are reasonably hard wearing and dirt cheap to replace.

As to apps, I use Memory Map, Garmin Basecamp, Google Earth and Viewranger. I usually carry the 25k map if the area I am in in my pack just in case, but I haven't ever pulled it out and used since I started printing off A4 sheets.
Solvitur Ambulando

Welsh Rambler

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:48:25, 20/04/17 »
I use Mapyx Quo http://www.mapyx.com and purchase 1:25000 tiles for just the areas I want. I then print out at 1:12500 scale on A4 or A5 sheets and laminate them back to back.

You can use SreetMap http://www.streetmap.co.uk for free and zoom to 1;25000 scale, select the large map format and print.

I recently bought  a Canon Pixma iP2850 colour printer from PC World for a reasonable price and have had good results from it.

Regards Keith

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 23:09:12, 20/04/17 »
Here's a link to the A toZ 'Adventure' maps

http://www.az.co.uk/?nid=544
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 08:45:55, 21/04/17 »

It's not so much the printer that is expensive, it's the ink.  A couple of new cartridges seems to cost about the same as a new printer sometimes.  Does printing off A4 map sheets use a terrible lot? Or do you just regard that as part of the cost like petrol to get to the start of the walk.
I tend to prefer to have the map for those occasions when you accidently come down into the wrong valley in the mist, and realise you must be just off the edge of your A4 sheet.  But perhaps that is less likely to happen if you have a bit of paper in you pocket for easy reference and don't have to keep unfolding a map in the wind and the rain to check you are on the right track.

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 09:06:00, 21/04/17 »
I used to print off the maps I need for a long walk but found it a laborious task, matching the pages so they fit together precisely, and trying to print only the areas I needed. I usually have a start and finish point, the middle bit is made up as I go along, so sticking to A4 sheets is a bit limiting. Plus I don't have a need to print anything else so the ink would dry out in the printer.

Yes, an OS map can be a bit awkward because of the size, but if I fold it to the page I am walking on I can constantly check that I am where I think I am. If I want to refold it I wait until I am in a sheltered position. That may not work so well for those who do a lot of fell walking where there isn't much shelter.

If I am walking across the country I will actually cut some of my maps in half. I know, shock horror  ::)

Ilona

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:21:47, 21/04/17 »
My experience FWIW: we had to chuck away a perfectly good Canon Pixma 2 years ago because it wasn't compatible with the Windows 8.1 in a new computer we had bought (for which reason I will never ever buy anything Canon again). We replaced it with a HP OfficeJet  which, we have found, uses far less ink than the Canon one used to.

When I was deciding which make/model to buy I found online sites that compared ink usage amongst other things.

Carrying the map in your rucksack is quite important. I've had an occasion in the mountains when I altered my planned route to get into shelter from the wind, which meant I was outside the area covered by the A4 sheets I had prepared, while another time I took a wrong path on a day walk and ended up walking "blind" with no map for where I was.

Snowman

« Reply #9 on: 10:22:18, 21/04/17 »
I use a waterproof map case, which is only a little larger than A4 anyway.    It does mean folding maps back on themselves in places which can result in the folds deteriorating over time, but it does also mean you have the whole map with you if you need it.    Also, by careful folding, you can make the next section of your walk available on the other side so you just have to flip the case over.   This can also be useful when you go from one map to another.

I was interested in the comments made regarding printers though.    I too have a Canon printer and do get thoroughly fed up with the speed with which the cartridges dry out.   I rarely print out map sections purely because I don't expect the printer to work when I need it.

Hillhiker1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:41:24, 21/04/17 »
I remember some years back being told by someone in the industry, that printer cartridges, once open, only last a certain time. So either use them or have them dry out. There's no point trying to  limit your printing to make them last longer. They won't.

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:46:37, 21/04/17 »
I have an HP Photosmart printer which I have had a few years now. It has proved bombproof. Cartridges last a reasonable length of time and do not dry out. Had am Epsom before which was crap. Cartridges dried if you didn't use it virtually every day.

Re folding maps, it does help if you remove the cardboard covers - assuming this is not sacrilege!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 17:29:52, 21/04/17 »
.... remove the cardboard covers - assuming this is not sacrilege!

It's not sacrilege .... not putting the map back with the corresponding cover when you're done is sacrilege  :-[    :-X    :-[   

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:07:09, 21/04/17 »
Yes I find a full size OS map fine to use once the cover has been dispensed with too.  Though I prefer to print and laminate A4 maps from Bimg maps.  Then have the full OS map tucked away, in case I decide to head off route.

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:12:46, 21/04/17 »
My experience FWIW: we had to chuck away a perfectly good Canon Pixma 2 years ago because it wasn't compatible with the Windows 8.1 in a new computer we had bought (for which reason I will never ever buy anything Canon again). We replaced it with a HP OfficeJet  which, we have found, uses far less ink than the Canon one used to.

When I was deciding which make/model to buy I found online sites that compared ink usage amongst other things.

I am in need of a new printer. What online sites did you find which compared ink usage, printers etc please
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy