Author Topic: Bad day in Langdale  (Read 2784 times)

radder

• Veteran Member
Bad day in Langdale
« on: 23:30:48, 18/04/09 »
Today was one of them days where everything just went wrong for me today. thats why Im sat here typing this instead of lying in a tent in Langdale.
I was planning this twenty mile challenge walk in the Lake District so needed a early start so left the house at 4.00Am  :D  2.5 hours later I was in Langdale.
I was making very good time Climbing Stickle Ghyll to stickle tarn and my first three summits Pavey Ark, Harrison Stickle and Pike o Bilsco this took me just over two hours and felt really good next target Scafell Pike via Esk Hause when within half an hour my brand new camera packed up and died on me AGAIN (second time in 2 months) and the sole of my boots was hanging off ( only had them for about a year) so all in all not a very good morning I was that deflated that  i just abandoned the walk by dropping down and following the path back to Langdale. What made it worse was it was one of those special mountain days with not a cloud in the sky. I have never been one for getting out of bed but to make a early start was fantastic I never saw one person the whole route apart from the masses of people heading to scafell Pike from Langdale. So tomorrow I've got to go looking for new boots (again) and do a short walk in the Peak District to start breaking them in and monday morning try and get a replacement on my camera.  :(  here is a few pictures I took while camera was still working

A early start from the Old Dungeon ghyll

Looking towards Crinkle Crags and Bowfell from Langdale Valley

The steep ascent of Stickle Ghyll

Stickle Tarn and Pavey Ark

Harrison Stickle and Stickle Tarn

Harrison Stickle and Stickle Tarn

the summit of Pavey Ark

Perfect conditions looking towards Bowfell, Scafell Pike, Esk Pike and Great End

The summit of harrison Stickle. View right to left Great End, Esk Pike, scafell Pike, Bowfell and Crinckle Crags and sadly my last photo  >:(

I still managed 9 miles and 2500 feet of ascent, just come back in may to do it again. this time mid week as langdale was packed.

Mark

dibble

• Veteran Member
Re: Bad day in Langdale
« Reply #1 on: 07:50:16, 19/04/09 »
Hi Mark,
I am sorry that you had a bad day.... it looks good what you did do though...and thank you for sharing the photos...

I went up Scafell Pike from Wasdale yesterday... it was busy there too.
It is over 15 years since I was up there that way and I had forgotten how majestic the crags are.

I hope you get some boots that you like!
“A star falls from the sky and into your hands. Then it seeps through your veins and swims inside your blood and becomes every part of you." JN.Harris

Robby

« Reply #2 on: 15:44:27, 19/04/09 »
Those skies look so good and warm, I think I'd 'av skinny dipped in them tarns.

Really great pics, even with the problems you had if it was me I'd have been blown away with the magnificance of that sky and landscape and skipped back to camp in bare feet, laughing about the camera - but I get a bit overwhelmed  ;).

Thanks for posting, appreciate it.

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:11:09, 19/04/09 »

I went up Scafell Pike from Wasdale yesterday... it was busy there too.
It is over 15 years since I was up there that way and I had forgotten how majestic the crags are.

Strangely strange to say, but I was up Scafell Pike yesterday too - it looked like this:

Shame about the boots and the camera by the way - probably some kind of omen!
It obvioulsy just wasn't the right day for it.
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:20:04, 19/04/09 »
bummer but good photos

What size are you ? O0
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 16:10:43, 20/04/09 »
Fantastic photos pal, that sky looks so blue and clear !  real shame about the camera and boots, great photos though !
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

blrovers

« Reply #6 on: 18:47:19, 20/04/09 »
Fabulous pictures radder and thanks so much for sharing. Looks like you had a decent climb even though you didn't get as far as you had planned   :(

Just one small error though I noticed...I think you mean Pike O'Stickle on your route via Pavey Ark and Harrison Stickle up to Esk Hause and not Pike O'Blisco which is t'other side o'Langdale as we say up here.

Sorry to hear about the problems with your boots and new camera...that would be enough to stop anyway in their tracks I'm sure.

radder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:32:14, 20/04/09 »
Slap my wrist  :) well spotted Blrovers I did put Pike O Bilsco and not Pike o Stickle.
All my problems sorted now brought new boots yesterday. Took camera in shop this morning and there was a fault so got a replacement  O0.
Try and do the walk again in about 3 weeks.

mark

blrovers

« Reply #8 on: 05:17:44, 21/04/09 »
Slap my wrist  :) well spotted Blrovers I did put Pike O Bilsco and not Pike o Stickle.
All my problems sorted now brought new boots yesterday. Took camera in shop this morning and there was a fault so got a replacement  O0.
Try and do the walk again in about 3 weeks.

mark

Glad to hear you got things sorted and will look forward to seeing the rest of the pictures from your next trek up that way.

Walking Mummy

« Reply #9 on: 17:12:10, 21/04/09 »
Fab pictures, but such a shame in your bad day.  I am sure it will be grand next time O0
www.thats-perfect.co.uk - the perfect advertising solutions for you!

rayf52

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 18:05:17, 26/04/09 »
you still got some great pictures mark.............let me know when you are attempting this walk again......if i can i will try to make it. I am going to the lakes on 23rd may for 1 night and staying in kendal.........cheers

Opal

« Reply #11 on: 22:46:12, 29/04/09 »
Great pics,  ;) you wouldn't expect a camera at that price to go wrong, I'd be a bit miffed too. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy