Author Topic: breathables  (Read 1748 times)

aggie

breathables
« on: 20:16:55, 23/08/06 »
I am returning to hillwalking after a break of many years. Things seem to have changed a lot in the time ive been away on the clothing front. please can i have some advice on the right clothing to be buying and wearing. Whats all this about a three layer system, its all very confusing

Chris

• Administrator
Re: breathables
« Reply #1 on: 01:22:42, 27/08/06 »
The 3 layers are: A wicking inner vest, a fleece jacket, and a breathable waterproof outer shell. The idea is you remove layers as the weather improves, so the system is suitable for all weathers. Works for me, but a more modern trend is buffalo shirt (where you undo zips and flaps to allow more ventilation, and a Paramo jacket.

bacon51

« Reply #2 on: 17:22:05, 21/10/08 »
Wicking means that it takes the moisture away from your skin. If you have two layers you should not feel damp as this is transferred to the next layer. A thin layer should be next to your skin. The cheaper fabrics do not work as well as the better brands such as "Dryflo" from Lowe Alpine". Berghaus, another good make.
Breathable fabrics are " Goretex" and "Event" plus others I'm not sure of.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:32:49, 21/10/08 »
bacon51

While your giving some good advice I'm not sure that it is worth your time and effort resurrecting the threads of people who posted once and have not logged on for 2 years.

bacon51

« Reply #4 on: 17:52:30, 21/10/08 »
Oh, I see. Didn't notice. Thanks.

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:58:14, 22/10/08 »
a more modern trend is buffalo shirt (where you undo zips and flaps to allow more ventilation, and a Paramo jacket.

Chris, did you really mean a Buffalo shirt AND a Paramo jacket?  I've seen quite a few people wearing Buffalo in the mountains, and my understanding of these, admittedly from about eight or so years ago, was that Buffalo garments were meant to be worn on their own, nothing under them and nothing over them, even in rain. 

Please enlighten me if that is no longer the way of thinking.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy