Author Topic: Walking jackets... Bewildered!!  (Read 5140 times)

addyeddy

Walking jackets... Bewildered!!
« on: 12:00:20, 03/04/19 »
I've previously had basic Trespass and Keela jackets, and was looking for something a bit better with better breathability and ventilation for basic hill walking in the spring and autumn.

On the spur of the moment, I bought a Montane Atomic jacket which I'm awaiting delivery of, but I've now read reviews which say the breathability and moisture control isn't very good at all, and it isn't even totally waterproof so I'll probably send it back.

I've looked online and read lots of articles and am now just bewildered at the different technologies and what would be best for me.

Ideally, I'd definitely like a jacket with pit zips and that will have enough room underneath for a fleece should things get a little chilly, I don't want the jacket to feel clammy against my skin, and has good moisture control.

Am I best looking at a Goretex or will one of the other technologies be more suited to what I'm looking for?

Finally, are there any jackets with forearm vent zips, as oddly that's where I seem to sweat the most!

Any help/advice appreciated from this first time poster!

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Re: Walking jackets... Bewildered!!
« Reply #1 on: 12:22:22, 03/04/19 »
I know Gore Tex Pro is the daddy of traditional waterproof technologies but Nikwax Analogy is a different sort of waterproofing which some people prefer. As far as I know with the exception of eVent (I hear it's more breathable) all the others are poorer imitations of Gore Tex but cost less and have a wider range of large sizes. Up to you how much you spend.

If you want the best there's an answer about Nikwax Analogy vs Gore Tex here. Paramo are the company who make Nikwax Analogy clothing.

You'll have to wait for someone else to give jacket recommendations but I think I'm right about the fabrics. Someone will correct me if not!
« Last Edit: 12:31:44, 03/04/19 by Rob Goes Walking »

addyeddy

« Reply #2 on: 12:33:25, 03/04/19 »
Thanks for your reply. As much as I'd like a Goretex Pro, out of my price range I'm afraid. I'm looking at £150 max.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:14:05, 03/04/19 »
Not sure why you think it's not waterproof?

There's a review here and it's said to be waterproof in numerous things I've read

https://www.montane.co.uk/blog/2018/10/atomic-jacket-wins-best-value-in-trail-magazine-review/
Where there's a will ...

zuludog

« Reply #4 on: 13:20:00, 03/04/19 »
The problem, as you've found out, is that there are so many!

Have a look at the sale/clearance sections of Cotswold and Go Outdoor websites, there are often bargains if you're not too fussy about the exact model or colour

Any decent branded membrane fabric jacket should suit you, but the problem is that they do eventually wear out. How long this takes will depend on the wear & use you give it, and the quality in the first place

An alternative is a jacket by Paramo/Nikwax. They can be re-proofed at home indefinitely; I know people who've had them for 15 years, and they're still going strong.
Don't be put off by the idea of re-proofing, it is an easy enough process with Nikwax wash-in proofer
The disadvantage is that they are a bit heavy, and expensive, but worth getting if you can possibly find the money
Search Paramo's website, there are various models; I think their Cascada jacket has zips & vents on the forearms

At the moment Go Outdoors have an additional 15% discount on all items till 9th April, but check with their website 

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:48:41, 03/04/19 »
The problem, as you've found out, is that there are so many!

Have a look at the sale/clearance sections of Cotswold and Go Outdoor websites, there are often bargains if you're not too fussy about the exact model or colour

Any decent branded membrane fabric jacket should suit you, but the problem is that they do eventually wear out. How long this takes will depend on the wear & use you give it, and the quality in the first place

An alternative is a jacket by Paramo/Nikwax. They can be re-proofed at home indefinitely; I know people who've had them for 15 years, and they're still going strong.
Don't be put off by the idea of re-proofing, it is an easy enough process with Nikwax wash-in proofer
The disadvantage is that they are a bit heavy, and expensive, but worth getting if you can possibly find the money
Search Paramo's website, there are various models; I think their Cascada jacket has zips & vents on the forearms

At the moment Go Outdoors have an additional 15% discount on all items till 9th April, but check with their website

I agree with you that Paramo are worth considering....though we all know there’s a healthy dollop of subjectivity in these “judgments”.

From personal experience my own guess is that Cascada jacket might be “overkill” for use in most British conditions.

If not contemplating going out in Scottish winters, Paramo Velez Adventure Light probably warm enough...it’s jacket I’ve used in Dark Peak winters and found it good. Lighter and less expensive than Cascada...but it would still nowadays  be way over 150 quid target I’d guess.

addyeddy

« Reply #6 on: 17:59:34, 03/04/19 »

I agree with you that Paramo are worth considering....though we all know there’s a healthy dollop of subjectivity in these “judgments”.

From personal experience my own guess is that Cascada jacket might be “overkill” for use in most British conditions.

If not contemplating going out in Scottish winters, Paramo Velez Adventure Light probably warm enough...it’s jacket I’ve used in Dark Peak winters and found it good. Lighter and less expensive than Cascada...but it would still nowadays  be way over 150 quid target I’d guess.

It's the sheer variety that's mind boggling! I also think I may have to pay over my budget a little to get what I want. The ventilation on the Paramo jackets seems to be quite well regarded, so might be the way to go for me.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:33:54, 03/04/19 »
If I personally decided to choose a new waterproof jacket today I would start from the bottom! I would ensure it was long enough to cover my bottom, (some are just too short) to have a two-way zip, the sleeves to reach to the end of my middle finger when arms are hanging down, I prefer a strap secure around the wrist, not elasticated, to have one or two chest pockets (lower pockets can often be unusable when the rucksack is strapped across them) and to have an underarm ventilation system as well.

I would give the hood special attention, some are better than others. I prefer a 'wired' one. I would look at how well the hood secures around my face (can be very important in really wet and windy weather) give special attention to how it fastens under and over my chin.

As to its waterproofing qualities, I'm not sure? When I bought my first jacket, a Paramo Alta 2, it was fine as regards length, sleeve length, strap security around the wrist and the quality of the hood but what I didn't like was it was heavy (just my opinion) made me far too hot in the summer months, did not pack away small and when it rained I was never really sure if I felt wet inside because of the rain outside, or if it was just condensation wetness caused by my body heat?

I then bought a Marmot Precip, a single skin jacket, much lighter, and I could roll up smaller. The downside for me was the elasticated wrists and still the problem of condensation on the inside.

I hope I have contributed something useful?

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:52:26, 03/04/19 »
It's the sheer variety that's mind boggling! I also think I may have to pay over my budget a little to get what I want. The ventilation on the Paramo jackets seems to be quite well regarded, so might be the way to go for me.

If you are not in a mad rush to buy and you are prepared to compromise on colour you may not need to spend anywhere near as much as you think!  ;)

In addition to buying new if you are also prepared to consider buying used Paramo clothing there are occasional bargains to be had on eBay if you are patient and prepared to wait for the right item to be listed. In the meantime get yourself to your nearest stockist and try some on, checkout the features and see what you think.

Some examples of Paramo clothing which I've managed to buy via eBay over the last few years:-

Paramo Cascada Jacket (hardly used almost new condition) @ £30 plus £5 postage.
Paramo Alta II Jacket (brand new)                                         @ £85 with free postage.
Paramo Cascada Trousers (brand new)                                 @ £50 with free postage.

My advice re buying Paramo clothing would be that regardless of whether you buy new or used some time spent refreshing the waterproofing with Nikwax Tech Wash and Nikwax TX Direct so it performs at its best is well worth the time and effort involved. My experience of Paramo clothing is that it definitely does require regular cleaning and reproofing.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 07:06:23, 04/04/19 »

My advice re buying Paramo clothing would be that regardless of whether you buy new or used some time spent refreshing the waterproofing with Nikwax Tech Wash and Nikwax TX Direct so it performs at its best is well worth the time and effort involved. My experience of Paramo clothing is that it definitely does require regular cleaning and reproofing.

Yes, I agree, think large majority of Paramo users would agree regular washing/ reproofing needed.

In years when I used same Paramo jacket on practically every walk I did (going out a couple of times a week) I washed jacket 2 or three times a year and reproofed annually.

In same period Paramo trousers needed washing and reproofing considerably more often...probably because they tend to get clogged up with dirt far more than jacket in normal walking..so need frequent washing to clear “pores” to restore breath-ability.

addyeddy

« Reply #10 on: 07:10:25, 04/04/19 »
Thanks for the input everyone. I think this is one of those ocassion where going to a shop will definitely have it's benefits for me, so I can actually get a feel of what's available and feels right to me. Who knows, when I pick the Montane up today, it might be adequate for my needs 

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 16:03:31, 04/04/19 »
The other way of looking at it is to primarily buy the jacket for warmth, protection from wind, etc but to think about getting wet as a standalone problem, not as a combined problem in one jacket. I am assuming of course that as you think about your walking jacket you are also thinking about buying, or have already bought waterproof trousers as well?

You could also solve your purchase in a different way? That's what I decided to do. Over my walking 'career,' I have walked in many types of weather, which for clothing purchases I now divide into 'wet' and 'dry.' I believe that I have walked a lot more in dry types of weather than I have in the wet. Keeping dry is I believe less of a problem than we perhaps we think.

All of my keeping dry views now, depend on me wearing waterproof gaiters, number one purchase! I use a Rab pair so my Plan A was to move onto a poncho and gaiters. This was not entirely to my liking (although I can live with it) so I have now moved on to Plan B, a long waterproof zip down the front coat (£15) and gaiters.

If I want to have a Plan C I can buy a cheap waterproof jacket, use my existing rain skirt and of course my gaiters.

By going through this way of thinking I realise now that I could have avoided the £250 Paramo jacket which I bought some time ago, which is now my 'down the pub' jacket which I now wear in the colder and darker months.

addyeddy

« Reply #12 on: 17:21:30, 04/04/19 »
The other way of looking at it is to primarily buy the jacket for warmth, protection from wind, etc but to think about getting wet as a standalone problem, not as a combined problem in one jacket. I am assuming of course that as you think about your walking jacket you are also thinking about buying, or have already bought waterproof trousers as well?

You could also solve your purchase in a different way? That's what I decided to do. Over my walking 'career,' I have walked in many types of weather, which for clothing purchases I now divide into 'wet' and 'dry.' I believe that I have walked a lot more in dry types of weather than I have in the wet. Keeping dry is I believe less of a problem than we perhaps we think.

All of my keeping dry views now, depend on me wearing waterproof gaiters, number one purchase! I use a Rab pair so my Plan A was to move onto a poncho and gaiters. This was not entirely to my liking (although I can live with it) so I have now moved on to Plan B, a long waterproof zip down the front coat (£15) and gaiters.

If I want to have a Plan C I can buy a cheap waterproof jacket, use my existing rain skirt and of course my gaiters.

By going through this way of thinking I realise now that I could have avoided the £250 Paramo jacket which I bought some time ago, which is now my 'down the pub' jacket which I now wear in the colder and darker months.

I'm happy with my winter wear that keeps me both dry and warm, it's warm wet days in spring and autumn that are the things I want to tackle, hence the need for good ventilation/breathability   I took delivery of the Montane Atomic today, and it would have been suitable I think, but the XXL goes nowhere near me, massively long sleeves and a small waist! Are there any makes with more relaxed fits than Montane?

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:33:55, 04/04/19 »

I'm happy with my winter wear that keeps me both dry and warm, it's warm wet days in spring and autumn that are the things I want to tackle, hence the need for good ventilation/breathability   I took delivery of the Montane Atomic today, and it would have been suitable I think, but the XXL goes nowhere near me, massively long sleeves and a small waist! Are there any makes with more relaxed fits than Montane?

I've just got A Helly Hansen Loke Jacket for £100 in 4XL which I'd say is more like a 3XL. It has pit zips and 10k hydrostatic head and 10k g/m²/24hr breathability. I've only worn it around town so far in a shower so can't recommend it yet but some makes (like Helly Hansen) do bigger sizes. You could try getting a bigger size?

Davidedgarjones

« Reply #14 on: 18:51:07, 04/04/19 »
I've got two Mountain Equipment jackets made from Drilite which is cheaper than their Goretex jackets - so far so good.
Dave

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy