Author Topic: TR - Lords Seat - Sunday 11th Sept  (Read 566 times)

Diplomatic

TR - Lords Seat - Sunday 11th Sept
« on: 11:40:56, 17/09/11 »
Exceptionally windy today so took some advice from some of the members on here and decided to try Lords Seat. We originally wanted to take in Barf (a very unfortunate name me thinks) and Broom fell.  
Well that was the plan. We parked up at Thornthwaite where there is a very handy free car park. We started out in light drizzle and headed up the path that runs parallel to the stream. This is a decent but steep path which feels like it’ll never end. The path is through the woods so it’s well protected from the wind. We picked this walk because it was very windy. There was a met office severe warning for wind so it was a better safe than sorry approach.  
The path is fairly straight forward for a good way but there is a tricky bit where (well at least if it’s raining) a bit of scrambling is required. You eventually find yourself at one of the forestry roads where we decided to take a left and follow the zig zag of the roads to the clearing near the top. Until this point we had barely noticed the wind, bearing in mind it was gale force. The last 100-200 feet were exposed and we really felt the wind wipping at us. However it was only the last 30 foot where it was slightly scary. Suffice to say with the rain (actually more like hail) and the wind sheeting we scrambled to the top touched the iron pole summit, turned around and headed back to the safety of the trees. Barf and Broom Fell will keep for another less windy day.  
Sorry no photo’s, the camera didn’t even come out of the bag – we were drenched within 10 mins so it stayed nice and dry, glad we didn’t, hard work but well worth the home made spag bol and copious vino we enjoyed that evening. Definately one for a windy day as long as its not too windy.  

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - Lords Seat - Sunday 11th Sept
« Reply #1 on: 12:00:24, 17/09/11 »
Sounds like it was fun, a bit scary can be good sometimes cannot it.

Of course it is so wet between Lords Seat and Barf you wouldn't get blown away because you would be up to your knees in the mud.

footix2

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - Lords Seat - Sunday 11th Sept
« Reply #2 on: 17:27:06, 18/09/11 »
That path through the woods is murder. Steep and long. I marched up it last time I was there and nearly finished myself off.
82/214

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy