Author Topic: Mallerstang  (Read 2838 times)

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Mallerstang
« on: 10:30:54, 15/08/08 »
Despite a very unpromising weather forecast*, I met Mike from Go4awalk again for this little trundle around mallerstang Edge
*Actually, the forecast was very promising - it promised to rain all day....

Anyway, we set off from a little parking area at the Northern end of lady Anne's Highway. This is a road/bridleway which was part of the route which links up the Cliffords castles in Skipton, Pendragon and Penrith - as used by Lady Anne Clifford just after the English civil war. Anyway she was this posh bint wot owned a few castles wot Oliver Cromwell had knocked about a bit...
end of history lesson...

Its quite a good route towards Appersett anyway and leads up onto a small limestone ledge on the hillside where there's a sculpture which , I think is supposed to represent the River Eden, but may well be intended to have a double meaning...  and then to Hell Gill Bridge - over the very deep and scary Hell Gill.

From there we followed the gill upstream for a bit and then up onto Abbotside Common aka Ure Head aka Sails, aka Little Fell.... this hill has so many aliases...

We then followed the vague, cairn-festooned ridge Northwards over Hugh Seat, Archy Styrigg and High Seat - and you may have read in the account of the walk around Harwood Common that Mike went up to the naughty parts in a bog.  He did it again. The moors are extremely soggy at the moment and there are some very deep bogs of floating grass. Somebody could come a real cropper. My advice is to let your walking partner go first.

The descent from High Seat is marked by a cairn on the Western edge of the hill and is very steep, but fairly short. This leads down to the hamlet of Outhwaite and a riverside path took us back to the start.

Its about 9 miles and 1900 feet of uphill. It rained gently most of the day but the hills stayed clear of hill fog.
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy