Author Topic: Walking weekend Ben Nevis  (Read 10675 times)

Angela

Walking weekend Ben Nevis
« on: 19:25:28, 10/04/07 »
I am planning to walk up Ben Nevis this summer for charity and would like some advice on booking a weekend away with the walk included.

I'm not sure if I can book this as some sort of package or if I have to book everything separate.

This is the first time I have done anything like this, so any other advice would be great.

Thanks.

summitzero

• Veteran Member
Re: Walking weekend Ben Nevis
« Reply #1 on: 01:36:02, 11/04/07 »
Hi are you camping? if so the Nevis campsite at the bottom of BN is a good place to stay, as for advice,
I am sure everyone on here will give you as much advice as you need, concearing routes, accom and kit.

What time of the year are you planning of going? :)
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Angela

« Reply #2 on: 10:47:35, 11/04/07 »
Thanks for your reply. I'm hoping to go around the end of June and would rather not camp to be honest.

I'm doing the walk alone so would want to hire a guide. I am really looking forward to doing this, but didn't realise it was going to be difficult to book. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places.

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:55:44, 11/04/07 »
You dont want to camp... thats a shame you will miss the delights of the Scottish midge dodging, that always happens around June  ;)

I will ask around for any 'accom' that is still open for your dates, if you know around what dates in June, you wish to stay.

Can i ask what charity you are walking for? Also what level of fittness you believe you are at the moment and have you walked many asscents? So as i can help you, if you wish.

As you know hiring a guide cost money but maybe we can find somebody who would do it free of charge to help with the course ;D ;D ;D

And finally how many prople are going and how many are walking?

So sorry for all the questions, i hope you understand that i am only trying to help :D

walkingforlife.piczo.com

Angela

« Reply #4 on: 22:49:45, 11/04/07 »
I would like to go the last weekend in June as it's my birthday on the 30th, so I would really like to spend it walking up a mountain.

The charity is called CHIPS it's organized by the gambling association and it gets custom made electric wheelchairs for terminally ill children, its all registered and above board. We do this every year (last year I jumped out of a plane).

I think I'm of average fitness, I used to help out with the scouts and have walked between 10 and 30 miles on a weekend. i enjoy the thrill of finishing what I start.

As far as I know it will be just me doing the walk.

Hope I haven't missed anything. Thanks again for your help.
Oops forgot to say this is the first time I have walked up a mountain, but I have walked a 18 kilometer gorge.

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:27:12, 12/04/07 »
Angela

At this time, i cant promise too much but i will say if i am still in the U.K or back in the U.k then if you want, i would be prepared to help out.

I will be able to say more in about three weeks if it helps, also i have asked one of my team to find out about acomm, for you ;D

Surely there is somebody else here that would love the chance to do Ben N,  perhaps include it on the WHW, if your doing it, or just give some support if your about ;)

Angela

« Reply #6 on: 21:53:37, 12/04/07 »
Thanks that would be excellent.

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:51:02, 12/04/07 »
No problem :)

Its a good walk and enjoyable ::) and of a very good cause.

Angela

« Reply #8 on: 08:27:08, 13/04/07 »
I am really looking forward to it.

Any other tips that may help would be great, if theres anything you would recommend taking or packing.

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 08:43:37, 13/04/07 »
I did this last year for the frist time and enjoyed it.  As you said you don't want to camp there are loads of B&B round here try this link www.visit-fortwilliam.co.uk.  Not sure on booking thou.  As we camp at the Glen nevis campsite.  Hope the link helps  :) ;D.  As for hiring a guide cost money try this link www.wildernessscotland.com and they cost of £120 per day. hope this is useful. goodluck  ;D wg
« Last Edit: 08:49:45, 13/04/07 by walkinggirluk »
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 14:45:51, 13/04/07 »
You never know Angela, WG UK may also offer to help ;D

Angela

« Reply #11 on: 13:20:57, 15/04/07 »
Any help offered will be greatly received ;D

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 23:28:50, 15/04/07 »
I hope the links help you.
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

Angela

« Reply #13 on: 09:17:58, 16/04/07 »
Thanks, the links have some good infomation on them.

Do you think I should just book somewhere to stay and sort out a guide when I get there or should I book in advance.

Even though I am travelling alone, I am very happy to walk up with a bunch of strangers. I am not the fastest of walkers but I do get there in the end ha ha.

Angela

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 12:44:56, 17/04/07 »
You should  book in advance.   As this save time and with it being summer they might be full.  I would book in advance on both part's.  Glad it help  ;D GOOD LUCK post back when you finished your hike. WG

clean it bin it

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy