Author Topic: Wild campers group broken up by Police  (Read 2826 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Wild campers group broken up by Police
« Reply #15 on: 07:45:07, 26/03/20 »
Oh, dear, our halo might have dropped. Beware of hikers especially Peak District ones!

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/farmer-punched-peak-district-walker-coronavirus-advice-a4397746.html

White, fair hair, anyone we know?

Shameful.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 13:44:33, 02/04/20 »
Unlike other parts of Europe, particularly Italy, our Gov simply have not laid down the rules hard enough.
Theres an instant fine of Euro1000 for anyone caught outside unnecessarily, in Italy.

Is it any wonder certain people are ignoring medical advice, to self isolate, the penalties here in the Uk, are simply not there, or if they are . their not harsh enough.

I know we do have not enough police to enforce the lockdown, but if the penalties for breaking it are severe enough, people will get the message.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 13:56:27, 02/04/20 »
In this country we police by consent DA.  By and large it is working - there will arrogant fools and idiots but most people are behaving themselves.  Draconian penalties will only breed resentment and consume resources in the enforcement thereof for very little gain in fighting the disease.  Remember, the aim is to drain the swamp, not run around after the alligators.
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 15:13:42, 02/04/20 »
DA, I would argue that the Government has not laid down 'rules' as such, only 'guidelines, advice and requests. If there are some actual 'rules' in place now I obviously have not kept up? You personally may interpret them as 'rules but I'm not sure how many people are actually doing this in the same way as you?? You also write that 'people will get the message,' are you sure of this? If you read through previous entries in the Forum I think you will note that most people are interpreting what they think your so-called 'rules' are, I know I am.

For example, I interpret 'local' as meaning to come out of my door then walk a shortish distance, (I'll define shortish if you want me too) others are interpreting it differently, some may be driving and then walking, some are going for long walks, (I'd need to define 'long' if asked) that's what the guidelines allow us to do, to decide for ourselves! So to me on that basis, there are no 'rules' as such as yet in operation?

When some Police decided to apply the 'guidelines' as 'rules' the Government then shot them down in flames for being too heavy-handed. If the Government decided that their 'guidelines' have to become 'rules' then hopefully they will then have to take responsibility for what happens next. All the while they are just 'guidelines' the Government can blame others if they are in danger of getting a bad press. In my opinion, thats what politicians do best!

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 15:27:09, 02/04/20 »
I totally agree, but currently there are certain members of our community, who feel they are immune, or the virus will not effect them, so they lead their lives, like nothing is different.

The death count from Coronavirus now stands at well over a thousand lives, and there is still no signs of a slowdown in casualties.

I still think the Gov should come down really hard on the country, far harder than the current regulations its brought in.

No doubt, certain groups or people will try and ignore sound advice, but the reprocutions should be very severe if people are apprehended by the police, for no good reason.

Heaven help you, if you live in Italy, Spain or Germany, ignore sound medical advice offered by their Gov, and they come down on you so hard, that everyone takes notice.

It seems to be different here in the Uk, almost as if coming down hard on the populace, who choose to ignore medical advice, is a step too far.

I have changed my living behaviour in the past several weeks, and even though living in Dyffryn would allow me to roam freely, will little or no chance of encountering others, to catch or spread the disease, ive listened and obeyed the Gov wishes and demands.

Those who choose to ignore the demands of self isolation, and freely choose to ignore medical advice, should be dealt with harshly.

Harsh measures are called for in desperate situations, and in my life time, ive never experienced a situation as bad as this one.

The Gov message is simply not getting through to some, something else needs to be introduced, something that nobody can ignore,  and if they do,  do so at their peril.
« Last Edit: 15:36:28, 02/04/20 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 15:39:29, 02/04/20 »
'There are certain members of our community, who feel they are immune, or the virus will not affect them, so they lead their lives, like nothing is different.' Is this true I wonder, how and if so how do we know this? If its only 'certain members' should valuable time be spent worrying about them?

In principle, I do not disagree with your sentiments except a few words, 'come down really hard,' 'should be really severe' and 'harshly.' If a Government person was using such words I would like to know exactly know what they mean by them? When one looks at the stories across the globe do you as individual mean things like ''beatings', 'spraying with disinfectant,' even 'shooting them' perhaps?

If you could clarify these particular words I might or might not then agree with you?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 15:42:42, 02/04/20 »
Thanks ninthace, may be useful to me at some point?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 16:19:31, 02/04/20 »
Thanks ninthace, may be useful to me at some point?
You are welcome - if you read it, it will deepen your understanding of the law and the guidance the police have.  The police site is also often updated as the situation evolves.
Solvitur Ambulando

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 20:06:01, 02/04/20 »
As I mentioned previously you can quite easily find out that there is such a thing as legally binding guidelines and believe it or not, you do seem to be in denial GWM, these guidelines gave been passed under the rules of our country to be legally binding, certainly they were permitted in the bill passed through the Commons and Lords in hours with no practical opposition at all. Interpretation is unfortunately, as with so many of our shoddily scripted laws,  going to be down to the judiciary trying to decide what Parliament actually intended. To date people have had large fines for breaching the guidelines, so they do have teeth.
Too little, too late, too bad......

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 08:46:23, 03/04/20 »
As I mentioned previously you can quite easily find out that there is such a thing as legally binding guidelines and believe it or not, you do seem to be in denial GWM, these guidelines gave been passed under the rules of our country to be legally binding, certainly they were permitted in the bill passed through the Commons and Lords in hours with no practical opposition at all. Interpretation is unfortunately, as with so many of our shoddily scripted laws,  going to be down to the judiciary trying to decide what Parliament actually intended. To date people have had large fines for breaching the guidelines, so they do have teeth.
I seem to remember that there was an amendment to limit these new laws to 6 months duration.  I hope so, or it is just another case of, as you put it, shoddily scripted laws.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 09:11:04, 03/04/20 »
I think I remember that they were for two years with a review every six months.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 09:28:00, 03/04/20 »
I think I remember that they were for two years with a review every six months.
Could be.  So the 6 monthly review will just be used to tighten and extend.
I was never a Labour supporter, and had little interest in fox hunting, but the way that the Blair government brought in the ban was worrying.  Now it seems to have set a precedence of how Parliament works.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 10:26:30, 03/04/20 »
Don't know what fox hunting has got to do with it. But, as I understand it, I was only half listening. The emergency power were rush through with cross party support. The opposition parties insisted on the six month review as price for their support.

If you think modern politics is bad you should read up on the tactics of the abolishion movement.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 14:38:33, 03/04/20 »
Steamy Tea, why the word 'worrying?'

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy