Author Topic: Free gear to give away  (Read 1230 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Free gear to give away
« on: 16:09:34, 28/08/20 »
I'm sure many of us have gear that we no longer use, I certainly have.

I have a 6' long Mountain Hardware self-inflating mattress to give away. When inflated its about 1 -1.5" thick.

I also have a 6' long Thermarest Pro to give away, again when inflated its about 1-1.5" thick.

I don't need them, I use my NeoAir these days. When I did use them I just carried them rolled up and secured horizontally across my rucksack.

I've blown up both, left them for three days and as far as I can tell neither has a leak. Even if one does leak they are very easy to repair, the knack is to find the leak in the first place. I've been told that its either submerged in the bath or to rub wet hands across the surface until bubbles appear?

If you want one, just private message me and specify brand, first come gets it. All I ask is for you to pay me the postage.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
Re: Free gear to give away
« Reply #1 on: 08:40:21, 29/08/20 »

I've blown up both, left them for three days and as far as I can tell neither has a leak. Even if one does leak they are very easy to repair, the knack is to find the leak in the first place. I've been told that its either submerged in the bath or to rub wet hands across the surface until bubbles appear?

I often use the bathtub for that, though it is a bit too small (narrow) to fit the whole thing. Another method that works well is to systematically rub the surface with water mixed with dishwashing liquid and watch it closely for bubbles.

Therm-a-rest has a lifetime warranty on at least the NeoAir types (don't know about the others). This also covers leaks when they happen on the welds. The warranty doesn't cover normal punctures, but they can repair them for £15. I had my NeoAir Xlite replaced free of charge because of 4 leaks that I found 2 of them were on welds.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:28:14, 29/08/20 »
Please note. Both self-inflating mattresses are now going to new homes. Thanks

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:20:57, 04/09/20 »
I have a well used Berghaus Dart 30L rucksack (blue) to give away and I have a barely used Berghaus Freeflow 35L rucksack to give away.

They are not 2020 models, both are about 10 years old they are in full working order. I used the Dart a lot (for day walks) but for me it was too much capacity, and I only used the Freeflow a couple of times, this time I bought too small. I found that for me I needed a 48L.

If anyone would like them please private message me.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:34:56, 12/09/20 »
I've a few other items to give away but I'm not sure if I should just proceed to offer them to the first person who writes to me? I had an email pointing out that some readers do not have the opportunity to be instant viewers so I'm trying to think, if I change my approach how best to do it? A suggestion was made that I could say, wait a few and if there is more than one person after the item I could allocate each of them number, put the numbers in a hat, shake and pick one number and the item goes to that person? I should perhaps have thought of something like this, but sorry, I didn't.

Anway, I have two aluminium Camping Gas saucepans to give away for free, one slides into the other, the largest (its round) is about 4" across the base by about 4" high, the second is slightly smaller. The inner space created I'm sure is good for small storage. They have never been used for anything.

The second item that I have to give away for free is a Trailspace GS2100 camping cooker, in its original plastic box, totally complete, a little spanner and a second gas jet comes with it, plus one unused canister of gas. Again, they have never been used. I can't remember when I bought them but I noticed this morning that the gas price ticket says £3.99?

At one time I did feel a bit guilty at not cooking, or even boiling water on my treks so I bought these items and then, thankfully I  stopped feeling guilty about it. I have never taken them with me, they have just been kept in a drawer in my garage doing absolutely nothing.

So if anyone is intersted please private message me.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:29:12, 12/09/20 »
@ gunwharfman

You might want to check this link re posting gas - I'm pretty sure you can't as it's on the prohibited and restricted list.

https://personal.help.royalmail.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/96/~/prohibited-and-restricted-items---advice-for-personal-customers

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 17:10:47, 12/09/20 »
Thank you I should have thought of that. OK, cooker available with the gas.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:12:17, 12/09/20 »
Sorry still can't get it right, cooker available without the gas.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:30:11, 12/09/20 »
Ah, dangerous goods regulations, a bane when I lived on Orkney.

..and a bane if you have to spend a whole week of training every 2 years to be qualified to prepare goods for shipment by sea or air!

But I digress.....
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:58:25, 12/09/20 »
This is very generous of you GWM.......I've started doing similar things in my garage clear out. For bigger items I ask for a small donation to charity. Other items just glad that someone can make use of them and I get a tidier garage!
With that last statement I'm reminded of the old saying.... 'when a man says he'll do something, he'll do it. He doesn't need his wife to remind him every six months!'

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:36:25, 12/09/20 »
With that last statement I'm reminded of the old saying.... 'when a man says he'll do something, he'll do it. He doesn't need his wife to remind him every six months!'
Know what you mean - last year she noticed the paint was beginning the peel of the widow frames, quick as a flash I started doing them today!
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy