Author Topic: So how you cope not being able to get out walking!  (Read 2358 times)

inthebagbud

So still being a Monday Friday worker my walking time is restricted to Saturday's and is sorely being curtailed as bad weather has a habit of waiting till weekend just to ruin the day. This weekend is no exception in north west!

So looks like another day with mundane house tasks infuriating as need that mountain fix !

How does everybody else cope  >:(
« Last Edit: 18:05:29, 08/02/19 by inthebagbud »

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
Re: How so you cope not being able to get out walking!
« Reply #1 on: 08:52:56, 08/02/19 »
I don’t let bad weather stop me....just get out there and make the best of it.
It's all uphill from here.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:31:10, 08/02/19 »
If the weather is bad I do not enjoy my walks as much as when I was younger. I much prefer walking in sunshine or at least light cloud. The light raises my spirits, especially this time of year.The only way round it for me is to still get out there but just walk locally and often on the paved pathways near my home. The plus side is that I acn I walk faster than across fields & it`s a great way to clock up a few mile in a relatively short time. No mountains, but a compromise. Even after many years I still find new and interesting routes around my home town, with the aid of OS mapping. The OS mapping also enables me to create a route and check mileage etc...thats fun in itself.
There is no need to pack a full bag and I just take water. it gets the heart pumping & if more than (say) four mile is done then the endorphins begin to kick in, & I feel it is well worth it.  On my return I feel alive once more! O0
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

FTSTTLB

« Reply #3 on: 09:33:42, 08/02/19 »
I just try to do short walks every day. There's a very short route of about 2,5 km (1,6 m) that I can fit in during my breaks at work. It's not the same as a proper walking route, but sometimes in these damp and rainy days it's better than nothing.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:50:02, 08/02/19 »
Being retired makes some difference - up to a point.
I won't go out at the weekend if I can avoid it because all you poor Mon to Fri folk clog the roads up, while the access points on any walks are busy with families with kids and dog walkers and the sort of people who walk no further than 500 yards max.
In the week I'm on chauffeuring duties taking my working other half to and from stations on Mondays and some Wednesdays. If she doesn't work on a Friday I'm 'forced' to accompany her to Tesco.
Then I won't go walking if the temperature is less than double figures.
Consequently I did my first day walk yesterday for four weeks! It was 10C but the wind chill made it feel much lower, however I was toasty warm with thermals underneath, and when I sat on a log in a sheltered spot to eat my sandwiches I could actually feel the warmth of the sun on my back!

andybr

« Reply #5 on: 10:09:52, 08/02/19 »
Before I retired I got round this by walking to work and back three days a week. It was seven miles each way and I picked routes to avoid roads and built up areas as much as possible. Once I retired, just over a year ago, the walks were the thing I missed most.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:28:24, 08/02/19 »
It was seven miles each way

How long did it take you?  :o
A pleasant walk perhaps (did you do it in the dark as well?) but a bit of a time-consuming 'commute'!

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:51:03, 08/02/19 »
A pleasant walk perhaps (did you do it in the dark as well?) but a bit of a time-consuming 'commute'!
No time to dawdle on that one  ???
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

andybr

« Reply #8 on: 11:07:38, 08/02/19 »

It took me 1.5 to 2 hours each way. The biggest challenge was arranging somewhere to clean up and change when I got to work.

Doddy

« Reply #9 on: 11:36:20, 08/02/19 »
Being retired helps :-) footy, running and triathlons for years but nearly always avoided training in the rain. I watch weather forecasts and decide each day if it is best to walk 3ml, run 3ml or cycle 6ml or have a weights session. I have good rain gear and now try and just get out there. On the internet there are good rainy day exercise sessions, 9 minute work outs etc. I try and get a longer walk in at the weekends.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:16:33, 08/02/19 »
In the winter I don't do much walking right out in the countryside but I do a lot of rural fringe and urban walking in my local area instead, taking in parks, coast, patches of woodland, and the fringes of the South Downs. To my mind the great thing is to be out there, even if it's not in the countryside.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:33:10, 08/02/19 »
Strangely I enjoy a spot of alternative weather.  I would soon get very bored if it was calm and sunny on every walk.  The weather can change a walk so much. Plan ahead, dress for the conditions and enjoy a greater variety. O0

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 13:45:03, 08/02/19 »
I don’t let bad weather stop me....just get out there and make the best of it.

^ This. Even a few miles walking in the rain makes me feel good.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

inthebagbud

« Reply #13 on: 16:54:37, 08/02/19 »
I agree with the let's get on with it  brigade and rain and wind (at a certain mph) does not bother me, as they say no such thing as bad weather just wrong gear.

I just cant get into low level walking anymore, did it for a year or so upwards of 40k a week and it filled a spot but now it has to be undulating, open moorland and upwards.

I just don't want to be that jackass that has to be rescued cause he couldn't wait a few weeks, anyways planning route that gets me upish,  has well marked tracks  a couple of peaks that can be missed if not required..

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 17:49:33, 08/02/19 »
Even a quick 20 minute walk is better than not getting out at all. 

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy