Author Topic: Glyderau descent advice please!  (Read 4620 times)

Petrolhead

Glyderau descent advice please!
« on: 10:39:06, 19/03/19 »

Hi guys.

It's long been a dream for me to get up to the top of the Glyderau and especially to see Castell y Gwynt. Until now, I've thought this was a little beyond our abilities but we're a lot more experienced since I first started looking at it and think we should be able to get up there no problem.

So, plan is the usual. Up the easier left side of Devil's Kitchen from Llyn Idwal, over the ladder style and up that horrible looking scree clamber to the top.

My question is about the return leg.

Almost every route I've looked at has a return leg from Glyder Fach heading towards Tryfan and around the east side of it. It seems like adding a lot of distance and effort and I'd much rather save Tryfan so it's "fresh" for when we feel up to tackling it properly.

With that in mind, it looks like there is a possible return by heading towards Cwm Bochlwyd. This would be my preference as it's more direct and I've never been to Llyn Bochlwyd so that would be a bonus. However, I've had a good look around and can't find any info about this leg of the journey. Is it going to be prohibitively difficult (to find, and / or to do) for us?

Should we just look at returning back down the Devil's Kitchen?

The easiest and quickest return route is preferable really, I was just thinking from what I can see on the maps I've found, the return via Cwm Bochlwyd looks possible. Maybe...

All that said, if the return via the east side of Tryfan is indeed the best plan and an absolute must do, we could be persuaded...

:)

I should also mention that we have a jpg of the OS map (at an ok scale) and that will be it as far as mapping for us. I'm not at all worried about the ascent it's just coming down that is presenting questions.

We have a window of three days (maybe four) where we can tackle this and will only consider going up there if the weather is looking favourable. Of course we'll check a proper mountain forecast and not just rely on a general report from our phone app.

So, that's a long ramble about nothing much!

Any advice would be great. Thanks guys.

Mes.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Glyderau descent advice please!
« Reply #1 on: 12:45:36, 19/03/19 »
Last time I did it I went this way, clockwise.  T'was most pleasant.
http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/routes/download/?walk=1387
https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/route/1919629/Glyder

Gentler climb clockwise, descending the scree wasn't that sporty, take it steady.
Solvitur Ambulando

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:47:58, 19/03/19 »
Hi Petrolhead

Be warned, the route from Glyder Fawr to Glyder Fach is very rocky and can be easily lost, particularly in poor visibility.  Well that's my excuse anyway.

However, once on Fach you simple follow the path heading east to the Miners Track, descend this to the north and you can traverse across on a good path, to Bwlch Tryfan and an easyish descent to Bochlwyd.  There are two ways onto the Miners Path, my preference is for the 2nd one, nearer Llyn Casef-Fraith, as it is slightly less steep and loose.

The route down Cwm Tryfan is also an easyish descent - but will add a bit of distance at the bottom if you are parked at Ogwen Cottage.

I would advise against the descent of the scree slope from Glyder Fach to Bwlch Tryfan - I thinks it's a nightmare, very steep and very loose, but other may come along and disagree (mad if they do  ;D 
Whichever route you chose - enjoy.  These are proper rocky mountains and the views and formations are wonderful.  But they are quite hard on the feet!

Paul

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:39:51, 19/03/19 »
However, once on Fach you simple follow the path heading east to the Miners Track, descend this to the north and you can traverse across on a good path, to Bwlch Tryfan and an easyish descent to Bochlwyd.
I agree with this, that was our descent route last time from Llyn Caseg-fraith. It's much kinder on the legs and temperament than the direct descent from Glyder Fach to Bwlch Tryfan which is very steep, loose rock and scree.

Petrolhead

« Reply #4 on: 13:52:19, 19/03/19 »
Ninthace, pdstsp, vghikers... PERFECT advice, thanks a lot guys. I think that tells me all I need to know.

So, just to be clear, looking at the image below, we should take the green path and ignore the red one right?

Is said green path easy enough to find? If it's going to be difficult, of course we still have the option of returning the way we came but obviously that wouldn't be a preference.

Really appreciate your help.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 13:55:29, 19/03/19 »
Spot on. 

The path is relatively easy to find - it's well used, though it does flit about a bit in the rocks.

Petrolhead

« Reply #6 on: 13:58:00, 19/03/19 »
Last time I did it I went this way, clockwise.  T'was most pleasant.
http://www.haroldstreet.org.uk/routes/download/?walk=1387
https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/route/1919629/Glyder

Gentler climb clockwise, descending the scree wasn't that sporty, take it steady.

So, you've got me thinking. Clockwise you say? I hadn't even thought of that. Would you advise that as being a better way around? I've done Llyn Idwal (usually up to the DK) quite a few times. It would be nice to approach it from the other way.

I guess the only reason I was thinking about doing it counter clockwise is because I know the first bit really well. If the route up when going clockwise is easy enough to find, it's definitely an option.

Thanks also for the very useful links.

Petrolhead

« Reply #7 on: 13:58:38, 19/03/19 »
Spot on. 

The path is relatively easy to find - it's well used, though it does flit about a bit in the rocks.

Thanks so much mate. Sounds perfect. And FUN!

O0

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 14:03:04, 19/03/19 »
No problem.

It's a great walk in either direction - one of the best in Wales in my opinion.  My preference is anti-clockwise, merely because I prefer ascending the Devil's Kitchen and the scree path to Glyder Fawr.  However, as ninthace says, the other way gives a gentler climb.  If you've already done part of it one way, I'd be tempted to go the other way round, for the variety.  Whichever, enjoy.

Petrolhead

« Reply #9 on: 14:35:52, 19/03/19 »
No problem.

It's a great walk in either direction - one of the best in Wales in my opinion.  My preference is anti-clockwise, merely because I prefer ascending the Devil's Kitchen and the scree path to Glyder Fawr.  However, as ninthace says, the other way gives a gentler climb.  If you've already done part of it one way, I'd be tempted to go the other way round, for the variety.  Whichever, enjoy.

Exactly mate, that's what I'm thinking now too. But, given the amount of times I've been up there and looked up at the rest of the path as something that is beyond me, it might feel like more of an achievement if we finally got to keep going up the Devil's Kitchen and make it to the top. Plus that gives the benefit of a slightly easier descent than going back down the Kitchen. Maybe.

Either way I'm SO looking forward to this.

Thanks so much for your help!

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 14:47:57, 19/03/19 »
I guess the only reason I was thinking about doing it counter clockwise is because I know the first bit really well.
Better to know the descent really well, at the end of the day when you're tired, light fading, long way to go back the way you came, etc.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

Petrolhead

« Reply #11 on: 16:31:05, 19/03/19 »
Better to know the descent really well, at the end of the day when you're tired, light fading, long way to go back the way you came, etc.

True enough mate. But when I say "know the first bit well" I mean only up until it gets more difficult!

So most of the more difficult bit will be totally new. But yes, that's sound advice, although our usual start time would mean that we should be down well before fading light is an issue. We should have a good ten hours of light while we're walking hopefully.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 16:39:42, 19/03/19 »
Ninthace, pdstsp, vghikers... PERFECT advice, thanks a lot guys. I think that tells me all I need to know.

Is said green path easy enough to find? If it's going to be difficult, of course we still have the option of returning the way we came but obviously that wouldn't be a preference.

Really appreciate your help.

Piece of cake IMHO

BTW, I walk with poles which really help stabilise you on a scree descent as you always have 3 points of contact.  Also if you do slip, you are still going in the right dierection  O0

Have a look at the route on GoogleEarth - the paths are quite clear.
« Last Edit: 16:42:43, 19/03/19 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Petrolhead

« Reply #13 on: 17:11:31, 19/03/19 »

Piece of cake IMHO

BTW, I walk with poles which really help stabilise you on a scree descent as you always have 3 points of contact.  Also if you do slip, you are still going in the right dierection  O0

Have a look at the route on GoogleEarth - the paths are quite clear.

Thanks mate. I've just done exactly that and it all seems pretty straight forward. Having had a think through, I think we'll go counter clockwise. It means we can just crack on past Llyn Idwal and on up the Kitchen without needing to stop and relax and take photos. Which I'll definitely be doing at Llyn Bochlwyd at least. Better to do that when we're on our way back and not being pressed for time to get to the top I think. I know what I'm like being snap happy! Plus it means a slightly genltler descent which, seeing as this walk will come at the end of a big trip to Scotland / Skye, will probably be welcome!

Really appreciate your good advice.

O0

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:21:22, 19/03/19 »
Maybe for another time for you, but a descent via Y Gribyn ridge is quite straightforward too with a little scrambling thrown in  O0
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy