Author Topic: Taking a drone in the hills  (Read 7090 times)

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Re: Taking a drone in the hills
« Reply #30 on: 09:50:27, 28/03/19 »
I have only had one bad experience with drones, which was on a very busy Haystacks last August, around lunchtime, when someone was flying one probably 50 feet above the summit and buzzing round, which me and my eldest, and many round us, found annoying.  Clearly the behaviour of the individual flying it was outside the code of conduct. 

I personally love some of the footage Beefy has posted and I think they enrich the video, and give a lovely view of an area.  I can't remember seeing anyone else in Beefy's vids except April and Squeaky.

On the other hand, the belief of some people that, if you are chatting in the outdoors, you need to raise the decibel level to Concorde busting level, is deeply annoying.

Also - I fully appreciate Ninthace's view that he doesn't read or post TRs, but I find them invaluable, and have found some of the TRs on here both informative and a bit inspirational. I think posting them puts a bit back into this on-line community as well as being fun to do.  We are all different and the world would be very boring if we weren't!

As for google and their intrusion - don't get me started :(

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 11:47:24, 28/03/19 »
There is a use of drones in the walking context that I have yet to see. I should have thought that a serious walker would have sussed it out, maybe it has yet to be discovered on this forum but has surfaced elsewhere. My sympathies are with Ninthace to a certain extent on the endless repetitiveness of TR's, which are just a personal record of a walk and have nothing new to offer, these can be safely tucked away on a blog and only those, who provide sufficient description, to tempt me to view will get my attention, but I find it a shame when an informative TR, as others have found is too hard to find.

As much as I admire Beefy's and April's TRs, that is a Trip Report, a VR is only Video Report.......of what? A TR with video footage! So the walker plodding along with his mechanical friend hovering over top, once done has little more to offer creatively.

The one feature a drone cam has that sets it apart from all other forms of photography is the ability to take pictures, remote from the photographer, cheaply. Now my biggest criticism of walk guides (the written sort) are their slavish obedience to the righteous way and the lack of ability to make judgment on the quality of way, as allowed by the rights of way network.

Here we have an instrument of remote trespass, but are there operators, with the understanding of our restrictive network, the creative skills to interpret terrain and the ability to publish their results?

On another topic I have tried to interest others to the plan for expensive infrastructure over a new road, which will be for the private use of a landowner.  Here is a perfect example where good footage, could explain why the notion the occupiers of our countryside are holding back the development of a national asset.

« Last Edit: 11:51:06, 28/03/19 by barewirewalker »
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 12:00:26, 28/03/19 »
BWW at least if you do not like TRs and VRs you can avoid them as they are always titled as such. There are subjects which are impossible to dodge as they get shoehorned in to any and every topic on the forum.

Percy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 12:30:11, 28/03/19 »
BWW at least if you do not like TRs and VRs you can avoid them as they are always titled as such. There are subjects which are impossible to dodge as they get shoehorned in to any and every topic on the forum.
Quite apt in this thread. He loves a good drone.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 12:48:10, 28/03/19 »
My sympathies are with Ninthace to a certain extent on the endless repetitiveness of TR's, which are just a personal record of a walk and have nothing new to offer, these can be safely tucked away on a blog and only those, who provide sufficient description, to tempt me to view will get my attention, but I find it a shame when an informative TR, as others have found is too hard to find.

That's me told.  I must admit, I thought this was a walking forum and that most of the members were interested in walks, and that, therefore, walk reports were an enjoyable part of the process.  If you don't want to read them, don't. 

Amazing - here's a thread about drones which ends up with those of us who give enough of a s##t to post TRs being called narcissistic and being accused of endless repetitiveness.  Wow. :(

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 12:56:00, 28/03/19 »
Well said pdstsp  O0
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 15:43:05, 28/03/19 »
Life gets a lot simpler when you tell people to f off more often - and in this respect it is entirely down to 'do what you want but be mindful of others'.

Do I mind a drone flying about on the fells giving the owner some good footage?  No, of course not.
Do I mind it flying over my garden whilst I'm b@llock naked brushing up on my tan?  Of course, especially if it's hovering still for a good look!

Also for anyone doing Trip Reports - they're great, I see it more like someone's diary they've invited you to read and some of them are pretty witty, too.  If you don't like it, don't read them.  Sure, the fells have been here for millions of years and there's a good chance you could google some article from someone who has already climbed it - but then what's the fun in that!

Lastly, the narcissistic comment .. I interpreted as a whinge about the amount of people using Instagram and taking 90% selfies where you can't see the beautiful background anyway.  Which I'd personally agree with, it seems full of a bunch of self important [censored] who are more concerned with getting a perfect face angle than actually focusing on the views/area.  Good rule of thumb for any profile/TR/facebook account/whatever - if they have more pictures of themselves than of things they do, they relate themselves to the environment rather than the environment to themselves and I'd likely get bored talking to them before I've finished half a pint.

The only concern I have with regard to drones specifically is as that get more hi-tech, cheaper and accessible - you get a lot more questionable behavior, especially once they perfect the tech and get them 'following' a subject without need for manual input so all the 'extreme sports' crowd end up doing their thing with a drone flying after them - though I think we'll likely see them banned/curtailed before then if we keep getting the airport incidents.  But until then, they make for amazing video reports and are great fun for those who like getting out there.  HYOH.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 17:28:59, 28/03/19 »
Well said pdstsp  O0

Thanks Phil

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 20:19:46, 28/03/19 »
Isn't that what Google is doing to you right now?

Why did you feel the need to edit my post out of context?

No Google do not make a horrid buzzing din and spend a lot of money editing people's personal detail out of their captured images. 

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 20:44:52, 28/03/19 »
The only drone I have ever seen was a huge one used by Google to capture images for Street View.
Too little, too late, too bad......

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 20:51:37, 28/03/19 »
Why did you feel the need to edit my post out of context?

Having read through what you wrote, I can't see how the bit beefy quoted is out of context? If Beefy had quoted everything from everyone's posts that he was replying to it would be a very long post.

Are you aware if this forum etiquette rule?

"Please refrain from quoting entire posts in your replies, or reposting images from an original message. To reply, we ask that you trim out all but the relevant points you are replying to. This keeps the forum easier for your fellow members to read, and does not clutter up a thread with unnecessary text. It also impacts less on the hosting servers"

The only drone I have ever seen was a huge one used by Google to capture images for Street View.

:)

Hate will never win

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 21:29:22, 28/03/19 »
Having read through what you wrote, I can't see how the bit beefy quoted is out of context? If Beefy had quoted everything from everyone's posts that he was replying to it would be a very long post.

I think BuzyG has a point, his post was
The few I have come accross thus far have all been a sorces of annoyance.  We use them at work for building suveyes.  Perfect for it.  But letting the general public lose with somethng that both, records other's activities, without thought of privacy and makes a right din, is not my idea of a socially viable hobby.
Trimming it to
"But letting the general public lose with somethng that both, records other's activities, without thought of privacy, is not my idea of a socially viable hobby."
Could be construed as altering the context and content.

Solvitur Ambulando

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 22:15:34, 28/03/19 »
Could be construed as altering the context and content.

BuzyG's full post is there for everyone to read.

Beefy was responding to a specific point in BuzyG's post so there was no need to quote the part of that post he wasn't specifically responding to. IMO that is not altering the context.

I have only quoted the last line in your post for the same reason  :)
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 22:27:29, 28/03/19 »
BuzyG's full post is there for everyone to read.

Beefy was responding to a specific point in BuzyG's post so there was no need to quote the part of that post he wasn't specifically responding to. IMO that is not altering the context.

I have only quoted the last line in your post for the same reason  :)
O0
I've spent enough time on this thread, I'm off to make videos :crazy2:

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

humansnail

« Reply #44 on: 21:23:21, 29/03/19 »

I've only ever seen a drone once. My friend spotted it when walking in the lakes and said "Look, someone is flying a done," I replied "Oh yeah," and that was that, can't say it had any impact on the day and totally forgot about it until reading this thread! ;D If the day ever comes when the sky is full of them and they are buzzing around like robotic midges then that would be horrible, but for me it has been a non issue so far.
If I was walking somewhere with a drone following/hovering around me I would be pretty annoyed,  so I can sympathise with the frustrations of anyone who has had this happen to them,  but assuming that all drone users would act in this way is just the same as thinking all wild campers leave 8 cans and a bag full of rubbish behind after every camp.
As for videos/trip reports etc, I hardly ever take pictures and wouldn't dream of videoing my trips (wouldn't know where to start, wouldn't want to lug all the gear about and wouldn't have the skill or motivation) but I'm grateful to those that do. They have inspired me to visit certain places that I wouldn't have thought of visiting and I thoroughly enjoy watching/reading them. Please keep them coming! O0
« Last Edit: 21:30:15, 29/03/19 by humansnail »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy