Author Topic: Walking Survey  (Read 2209 times)

DTGCSE

Walking Survey
« on: 12:51:27, 27/08/19 »
hello for my DT GCSE I am wondering if anyone can answer my questions to help with my research:
1. How old are you?
2. How often do you go on walks?
3.how frequently do you encounter a gate or style
4.why do you walk?
5.do you struggle to get over stiles when they are at a particular height?
6. Would you consider using a small, light and portable device to help you get over the stiles?
Thank you very much.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: Walking Survey
« Reply #1 on: 13:33:48, 27/08/19 »
Have you decided to rush through the homework given at the end of last term? Don't beleieve many schools have started Autumn term yet.

Too little, too late, too bad......

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:44:38, 27/08/19 »
Have you decided to rush through the homework given at the end of last term? Don't beleieve many schools have started Autumn term yet.
Yes, of course. Didn't you when you were 15 and the long hot summer stretched before you?
At least he is genuinely trying to gather some data rather than making it up!

1, 52
2, it probably averages out at every 1.5 weeks but much more in summer than winter
3, very frequently
4, the escape/feeling of freedom
5, no
6, no

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:53:06, 27/08/19 »

Well I certainly used to leave my homework until a few days before the new terms started.  In fact, half the time, I was doing it on the bus on the way to school on the first day back  ;D

1. How old are you? - over 40
2. How often do you go on walks? - daily, though not all are "countryside" walks
3.how frequently do you encounter a gate or style - rarely
4.why do you walk? - I enjoy it
5.do you struggle to get over stiles when they are at a particular height? - sort of, sometimes there needs to be an extra step but rickety, badly maintained ones are worse.
6. Would you consider using a small, light and portable device to help you get over the stiles? - no

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:55:23, 27/08/19 »

1. How old are you? 63
2. How often do you go on walks? A few times a week.
3.how frequently do you encounter a gate or style.On every walk unless its on roads.
4.why do you walk? To keep myself sane.
5.do you struggle to get over stiles when they are at a particular height? No
6. Would you consider using a small, light and portable device to help you get over the stiles? Not really.

A suggestion.Stiles rarely present problems to able bodied walkers and people with disabilities will usually be carrying aids,stick, walking pole etc.When it comes to fences the biggest hazard is barbed wire.Sometimes you have to use another field and climb over barbed wire fences to avoid aggressive cattle.Its never easy and can result in serious injury.

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:15:14, 27/08/19 »
1. How old are you?     Probably old enough to be your grandma.
2. How often do you go on walks?    About 8 - 10 times a year, but I walk every day.
3.how frequently do you encounter a gate or style       often.
4.why do you walk?    Because I am an outdoorsy person, and I want to stay fit and healthy.
5.do you struggle to get over stiles when they are at a particular height?    No, because I am a fit old bird.
6. Would you consider using a small, light and portable device to help you get over the stiles?    No.
Thank you very much.

ilona
« Last Edit: 14:19:18, 27/08/19 by fit old bird »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 14:28:51, 27/08/19 »

1. How old are you?  Pensionable age
2. How often do you go on walks? 2 to 3 times a week weather permitting
3. how frequently do you encounter a gate or style  Hard to quantify  - personal best is 41 in a half day walk.
4. why do you walk? For fun and to stave off dementia
5. do you struggle to get over stiles when they are at a particular height? Not if it is well made
6. Would you consider using a small, light and portable device to help you get over the stiles?  No.  Stiles should be properly maintained.  If they are not, they can be reported.

It's a STILE - from the Old English.  Style is something else entirely!  The spelling is not interchangeable  Don't worry though, a lot of folk on this forum don't know the difference either.  Please start sentences with a capital letter - it grates on we older ones.

« Last Edit: 21:46:08, 27/08/19 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 14:45:46, 27/08/19 »
Yes, of course. Didn't you when you were 15 and the long hot summer stretched before you?
Actually, in truth,  no.

Just in case the Op is not just a phisherman, but a genuinely tardy young student.

1 pensioner.

2 daily.

3 rarely.

4 for fitness and just to see places that can only be seen and enjoyed by walking to them.

5 only if damaged.

6 No, as no matter how light it would still have to be carried.
« Last Edit: 21:29:40, 27/08/19 by jimbob »
Too little, too late, too bad......

Patrick1

« Reply #8 on: 16:55:10, 27/08/19 »
I'm struggling to think what "small, light, portable device" could help me get over stiles. A pogo stick?! If you're not going to just get a series of "No - I manage fine thanks" in reply to this I think you need to be a bit clearer what it is you're thinking of.

And unfortunately it will remain true that, by asking on a walking forum, you may struggle to find any respondents who are having trouble, because they will have stopped walking and hence no longer be on the forum! Interesting if you want to discuss bias in responses to surveys, but possible not so useful in a Design and Technology project...

Sorry not to be more helpful!!

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:04:54, 27/08/19 »
1. 71
2. Twice a week, usually 11 -12 miles each. Plus 4 weeks walking in the Lakes, Yorkshire, Peaks
3. Stiles..depends on the area and within the area the type of stile. Sunday around Shepton Mallet probaby 30 stone stiles in 12 miles.
4. I walk because I enjoy it.
5. No more than anyone if its overgrown or badly maintained.
6. Nope..
It's all uphill from here.

Warbler

« Reply #10 on: 17:27:45, 27/08/19 »
1. How old are you?.....over 59
2. How often do you go on walks?...….about twice a week on average
3.how frequently do you encounter a gate or style....sometimes frequently, other times not so frequently
4.why do you walk?.....the pleasure, fitness and health, fresh air, peace
5.do you struggle to get over stiles when they are at a particular height?......no
6. Would you consider using a small, light and portable device to help you get over the stiles?....no

I'm struggling to think what "small, light, portable device" could help me get over stiles. A pogo stick?!
That was exactly my first thought  ???.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 18:04:24, 27/08/19 »
I'm struggling to think what "small, light, portable device" could help me get over stiles.
Inflatable ladder?  :)
Solvitur Ambulando

archaeoroutes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:33:20, 27/08/19 »

To fellow forum members - You'd be amazed how bad the emails we get as teachers are, even when contacted about DT coursework as part of a formal research project! The OP is actually rather polite and, bar the lower case hello which I suspect was a typo, relatively correctly-written. I've had emails starting 'Wotcha' instead of the expected 'Dear Sir'. I even had one who acknowledged receipt of my replies with 'Sexy'.
Also, while this is likely to have been set as summer holiday work, the student may well have been investigating other sources of people to complete their questionnaire and only just now stumbled across this board.
Or it could well have been emailed out by the teacher recently as prep for the coming term. I sent out work last week to my GCSE classes to be done ready for our return next week.
Then there is even the possibility that the OP is getting ahead, knowing that the research phase is something that will be needed.

To the OP -
My answers:
1. 41
2. Several times a week (if you count running in the countryside too).
3. Most times locally, Not too often in the mountains.
4. For fun. To relax. To clear my mind. For exercise. Mindfulness.
5. No. But kissing gates when wearing a rucksack can be a nightmare.
6. No need.
Now, we get questions like this on here quite often. Not a problem, but it's a bit like a black hole where the student posts a request, some of us answer, but then that's it. What would be lovely would be to see the end product.
Walking routes visiting ancient sites in Britain's uplands: http://www.archaeoroutes.co.uk

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 21:27:01, 27/08/19 »

1. 55-60
2. A couple of times a week.
3. Most weeks
4. Keeps me fit for climbing the odd mountain.
5. Nope not ever. 
6. Nope

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 22:31:38, 27/08/19 »
1. How old are you?  -  63
2. How often do you go on walks?   -   daily if urban walking is included.  Usually about 1-3 country walks a week except in winter
3.how frequently do you encounter a gate or style   -    often
4.why do you walk?   -    for a feeling of freedom and peace, to see landscapes, for exercise
5.do you struggle to get over stiles when they are at a particular height?   -   no
6. Would you consider using a small, light and portable device to help you get over the stiles?  -    no

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy