Author Topic: Performance  (Read 3895 times)

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
Re: Performance
« Reply #15 on: 09:53:26, 05/05/19 »
Unless you are in a race, I would have thought walking was about the enjoyment rather than speed and that the main reason for knowing your speed was to know how long a walk would take you for safety reasons, so as to avoid being benighted or to be in time for the (last?) bus home. The overall speed needs to take account of everything including lunch stops, taking photos etc. Once you know your average walking speed over different types of terrain and can then assess roughly how long a walk will take, personally, I do not see a reason for monitoring it on a regular basis. Reference to the map and watch is the best monitor on individual walks.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 10:44:02, 05/05/19 »
I thought I was a slow walker but having read some of these posts it seems I`m fairly average. Anything between 2 to 3 mile per hour or sometimes faster if its low level / flat and I`m on a road (say) or boring track I crack on just to get to more interesting fields or open land.I always estimate my time for the whole trip taking into account stops for taking pics & eating. Now & again I forget about how much ascent is on some routes and find it interesting how much my avergae speed can plummet....
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 13:39:35, 05/05/19 »
Depending on amount of ascent, but over an undulating route I average around 2.6mph. I know lots of Ultra runners/walkers and to average 3mph over an undulating route usually means some running or trotting the downhills. Of course all that also depends on the distance. Those averageing 3 mph during the Lakeland 100 miler for example do a lot of running, but could average the same speed just fast walking if it were just 20 mile.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 21:50:48, 05/05/19 »
Great thread.  I walk to keep fit as well as for pleasure.  I also have a 27 year old elite athlete my son, as motivation.  If I'm out basically training, then I will average 3 to 3.5 mph over 10 to 15 miles of typical moorland terrain including 3 to 4000 ft of ascent and descent.  I am no runner but I am 6ft 4, so my long stride on flat ground and gentle descents makes up for the steeper sections.

Out with our ramblers walking group today we covered 17 miles, with 4350ft of ascents, in 7 hours including 3 stops. So 2.4 avearage. Age range in the group of 17, today included Ten tors challengers training for next weekend through to pentioners.  In fact there was one young lad walking with his grandmother. 

Out walking the coast path with my wife and daughter weekend before last, we covered, 5miles with 3520ft of ascents in 4.5 hours with plenty of stops for photos. So just over 1.1 mph average.

So horses for courses, you can walk as fast as you are able, or you can just walk as fast as you want to.. :)
« Last Edit: 14:56:28, 06/05/19 by BuzyG »

myxpyr

« Reply #19 on: 08:27:45, 06/05/19 »

Out with our ramblers walking group today

:( I tried going out with a ramblers group once. Not for me!(No disrespect to you - I enjoyed your response)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 09:09:53, 06/05/19 »
I'm 74 and walk at the speed that feels comfortable and befitting the surroundings. Sometimes I just amble along, maybe stop a few times, even have an afternoon sleep but on other times I really make the effort to speed up. Usually when I want to get to a pub! For me it's not about speed, it's more to do with distance, how far do I want to walk, how far can I walk, how far I have to walk! I'm happy to walk 10 miles, often up to 15, but not keen to have to do 20 or more. That's why I don't love that hiking section from Kirk Yetholme to Byrness!

myxpyr

« Reply #21 on: 10:13:39, 06/05/19 »
Usually when I want to get to a pub!
Can't complain at that O0

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 12:12:38, 06/05/19 »
Usually when I want to get to a pub!

Made me smile. I remember the bad old days when pubs in England and Wales used to shut for an afternoon break, rushing down off the hill to catch last orders.

Often resulted in a 'lock in'!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 12:25:12, 06/05/19 »

Made me smile. I remember the bad old days when pubs in England and Wales used to shut for an afternoon break, rushing down off the hill to catch last orders.

Often resulted in a 'lock in'!

And, if you weren't quick enough, a 'lock-out' until about 7pm

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 13:59:06, 06/05/19 »
I remember the bad old days when pubs in England and Wales used to shut for an afternoon break

Most of them still do in the Chilterns villages I pass on my day walks.
If there's a pub on my route it needs to be situated so that I reach it around midday to 1 pm, or around 2 pm after I've had my sandwiches..
It's heartbreaking to have to walk by ones that aren't yet open at the start of my walk, or closed in the afternoon.
On the bright side, it saves me a fiver each time  :)

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 14:03:17, 06/05/19 »
It's heartbreaking to have to walk by ones that aren't yet open at the start of my walk, or closed in the afternoon.

Not to mention the pubs that seem to be open all day every day, apart from the one day that you're passing through it  >:(
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 14:25:30, 06/05/19 »
Or even sadder - those pubs marked on the map that aren't there anymore  :(
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 15:01:24, 06/05/19 »
Enjoying the irony of the performance thread turning into a pub crawl.  ;)

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 15:27:05, 06/05/19 »
Enjoying the irony of the performance thread turning into a pub crawl.  ;)

;D Well spotted. As we drifted off our bearing I didn't even notice  :)

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 16:01:19, 06/05/19 »
Pubs improve my performance  :D

A quick halfway pint tends to refresh me and pick up the pace  O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy