Author Topic: Completing the Wainwrights  (Read 20838 times)

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
Re: Completing the Wainwrights
« Reply #15 on: 21:00:27, 22/09/11 »
I really enjoyed what you've written, I am learning all the time.  And I really like your photo's.  Thank you.   O0 O0

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 21:00:44, 22/09/11 »
That Lank Rigg is an odd one out for me - still 11 to go :(

Can I borrow your weather John O0

dibble

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 21:41:59, 22/09/11 »
I so want to do that route  O0 O0

Maybe it is an idea for a meet up.   O0
“A star falls from the sky and into your hands. Then it seeps through your veins and swims inside your blood and becomes every part of you." JN.Harris

Cheviot Stroller

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 21:43:48, 22/09/11 »
Maybe it is an idea for a meet up.   O0

Excellent idea - when lol  :D ;D O0
Work to live, live to walk

http://ramblingnana.blogspot.co.uk/

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 00:11:55, 23/09/11 »
John I am loving this long thread and dying to read the next few reports. It is always a pleasure and a privilege to be out on those much-loved fells with you. The photos and the report are bang on. As ever  ;) eh

You said you were going to do a massive report and it has been worth the wait.  O0 Roll on the next instalment  ;) O0 O0

Time for Kate to go round afresh! Which one will she start with?
12 songs enjoy while posting and browsing on 'ere  :)   http://tinyurl.com/3rd9vey -

More stuff on Itunes:   http://tinyurl.com/3phvnla

andybeck

« Reply #20 on: 10:40:58, 23/09/11 »
great reports and photos to match John O0
it will be interesting to read the progress reports.
Not too sure which day you did the Lank Rigg route but it must only have been a day or two after me, you were luckier with the weather though. :-\

mick

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 12:36:23, 23/09/11 »
John,  
 not really sure how to start this, it was your photos that kick started something in the back of my head to get up to Bannerdale crags and look towards Blencathra,  O0 earlier this year which lead to me …………….finally to make my way to the summit, your trips reports caused me to throw any doubt I had in my ability away and go exploring the northern fells, and what an experience I had over there as well. ;D  
Now this latest trip report has hit yet another nerve, I just have to follow in your footsteps yet again and do these walks especially your Fusedale rim one , it was only a few weeks ago I was sitting on the shore of Ullswater  looking up at these very hills thinking …….could I ? Should I? wouldn’t it be so mint if I could, now after seeing your photos I think that I could (perhaps with one or two tweaks) and as soon as I get my arty legs fixed (again)  :( I hope to make the attempt, nothing more I can really say except thanks and keep them coming they really do inspire me to get out there and I for one am very grateful……………………Cheers …………..Mick (a bit broken at the moment)  
Ps do I have to book a sunny day in advance ? O0 O0  

Cheviot Stroller

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 13:22:39, 23/09/11 »
John, Can I just add to Mick's post that I think we should thank you for inspiring us to do the Loweswater Fells route that we completed at the beginning of this month.  We thoroughly enjoyed that one too - much appreciated  O0 O0   (I forgot to thank you in my TR - sorry - so thought I'd mention it now  ;) )

Yvonne xx
Work to live, live to walk

http://ramblingnana.blogspot.co.uk/

Brandywell

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 16:41:04, 23/09/11 »
My local fells and 1st 3 Wainwright's. It's normally very quiet. I never saw a single person last time I visited, though being local I was very early in the day.

Mine too but they were not "Wainwrights" back then
Another great report.

I knew all the hills in your first report and none in the second, I must try to go west more.
There're not too much further for you to travel to  :)
Excellent trip report as always John and great to see the local hills...

thanks for this, it's an excellent read.   O0

Thanks Catherine,  I know they don't amount to much but I used to love wandering over those hills
Watch where you are putting your feet : AW

Brandywell

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 16:55:06, 23/09/11 »
I really enjoyed what you've written, I am learning all the time.  And I really like your photo's.  Thank you.   O0 O0
Thanks dittzzy  :)
That Lank Rigg is an odd one out for me - still 11 to go :(

Can I borrow your weather John O0
Good luck Pete with your 11 (and the weather) it's a pity you didn't tack it on to your Crag Fell/Grike outing  ;)

Time for Kate to go round afresh! Which one will she start with?

I don't know, she seems to have rekindled her interest in fellwalking though.  :)

Brandywell

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 17:29:53, 23/09/11 »
John,
 not really sure how to start this, it was your photos that kick started something in the back of my head to get up to Bannerdale crags and look towards Blencathra,  O0 earlier this year which lead to me …………….finally to make my way to the summit, your trips reports caused me to throw any doubt I had in my ability away and go exploring the northern fells, and what an experience I had over there as well. ;D
Now this latest trip report has hit yet another nerve, I just have to follow in your footsteps yet again and do these walks especially your Fusedale rim one , it was only a few weeks ago I was sitting on the shore of Ullswater  looking up at these very hills thinking …….could I ? Should I? wouldn’t it be so mint if I could, now after seeing your photos I think that I could (perhaps with one or two tweaks) and as soon as I get my arty legs fixed (again)  :( I hope to make the attempt, nothing more I can really say except thanks and keep them coming they really do inspire me to get out there and I for one am very grateful……………………Cheers …………..Mick (a bit broken at the moment)
Ps do I have to book a sunny day in advance ? O0 O0

That is very humbling Mick.  :-[ We were out on Meal Fell and I pointed out Burntod Gill (remember that) to Kate and told her about your exploits there.  If you can get down that mate you can manage most things, including the Fusedale rim - the path down to the old church from Pikeawassa would be easier for you.  O0 

great reports and photos to match John O0
it will be interesting to read the progress reports.
Not too sure which day you did the Lank Rigg route but it must only have been a day or two after me, you were luckier with the weather though. :-\
Thanks Andy,  :)  I had a look at the date on the photos it was 9 days before your trip.  The weather was very similar to yours early on, Caw Fell was well covered in cloud, it only began to improve on our descent from Grag Fell

John, Can I just add to Mick's post that I think we should thank you for inspiring us to do the Loweswater Fells route that we completed at the beginning of this month.  We thoroughly enjoyed that one too - much appreciated  O0 O0   (I forgot to thank you in my TR - sorry - so thought I'd mention it now  ;) )

Yvonne xx

You're welcome.  O0

mick

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 18:29:12, 23/09/11 »

That is very humbling Mick.  :-[ We were out on Meal Fell and I pointed out Burntod Gill (remember that) to Kate and told her about your exploits there.  If you can get down that mate you can manage most things, including the Fusedale rim - the path down to the old church from Pikeawassa would be easier for you.  O0   

O yes I remember that how could I ever forget , felt so alive at the bottom/ exit but  felt so scared at  the top thinking **** what have I gone and done now : - good days eh? Lovely area and again thanks for introducing me to it. My self confidence grew lots that day .  

Brandywell

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 18:54:03, 23/09/11 »
The Loweswater Fells

Hen Comb
Gavel Fell
Blake Fell
Burnbank Fell

This walk has already been featured in a thread - http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,15231.0.html

Suffice to say that it was a most enjoyable day.

4 Wainwrights done ..... 16 to go

Brandywell

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 19:29:19, 23/09/11 »
Borrowdale and Buttermere

Castle Crag
Whiteless Pike
Rannerdale Knotts

Castle Crag, the smallest of all the Wainwright at 951ft, you can spend hours exploring it, and we did just that.  It is usually climbed from Grange-in-Borrowdale but we decided to start from Rosthwaite.  Parking up at the small NT car park and taking the lane past Yew Tree Farm we crossed New Bridge and walked up Lingy Bank to join the old quarry road.  We followed the road for a short way untill it started to descend into Broadslack Gill then turned onto a path, around a craggy section and through larches to the foot of the slate spoil heap below the summit.

The flat top of the spoil heap offers a great view of Borrowdale, and has become something of an open air art centre with a lot of slates having been stood on edge to create weird abstract shapes.  The path to the summit skirts the quarry on its right but it's worthwhile having a look around it first. The quarry bites deeply into the summit of Castle Crag which is an ancient hill fort and gives the valley its name.

We descended back to the mine road and extended the walk by following it down Broadslack Gill, turning right where it joined the Derwent and walked through the woods along its bank through the Jaws of Borrowdale, exploring a few of the old quarries on the way.  Wainwright described this as the loveliest square mile in the Lake District.  Eventually we rejoined our outward path near to New Bridge and had a look at the extensive repair work that has been done to the river banks following the great flood of 2009.  It was late in the afternoon when we got back to the car park so we had to leave quickly to drive over Honister Hause into Buttermere to bag the next Wainwrights.

3.5 miles
1,100 ft. of ascent

Castle Crag (left) and King's How (right) from Rosthwaite

Borrowdale from Lingy Bank

Castle Crag from the head of Broadslack Gill

The crags of Low Scawdel

Borrowdale from the quarry spoil heap

The summit of Castle Crag

Borrowdale from Castle Crag

Derwent Water from Castle Crag

Descending Broadslack Gill towards the River Derwent

And so to Buttermere . . .

We started from the NT car park passing by Crag Houses on the main path to the Sail Beck valley before veering off it left when Whiteless Pike came into view. The path continued on up Low Bank to the saddle at the head of Rannerdale.  As it was late in the day most people were coming down as we proceeded along the western side of Whiteless Breast to the col beyond it where the view opened out to the head of Sail Beck.

It was turning out to be a beautiful evening as we made our way up the final climb to the summit.  We spent some time on the top enjoying the view, which was very clear with hardly a breath of wind, but we eventually had to leave and descend back to the saddle above Rannerdale and the start of the long undulating ridge of Low Bank leading towards Rannerdale Knotts.

The sun was quite low now and shone in our eyes as we made our way over and around knolls to arrive at the ultimate rocky top.  Anyone who has visited this summit will know that the views are wonderful and well worth the modest effort needed for this climb.  Grasmoor and Whiteless Pike formed a high wall across Rannerdale with ridges thrown into sharp relief by the setting sun.  We spent a long time on the summit and it was hard to drag ourselves away because it was so peaceful, but time was getting on so we returned back along the ridge to the head of Rannerdale and the wide green path back to the valley.  Just as we reached the road we stepped into the Earth's shadow as the sun set behind Mellbreak.

4.7 miles
2,340 ft. of ascent
3 wainwrights done ..... 13 to go

High Crag and High Stile from the Sail Beck path

Mellbreak from above High House Crag

Whiteless Pike from Whiteless Breast

The valley of Sail Beck from Whiteless Breast

The summit of Whiteless Pike

Buttermere from Whiteless Pike

The High Stile ridge from Whiteless Pike

Descending to Whiteless Breast

Crummock Water above the ridge to Rannerdale Knotts

Rannerdale Knotts from the col above Squat Beck

Rannerdale Knotts along the Low Bank ridge

Grasmoor from Low Bank

Looking back along the Low Bank ridge

Whiteless Pike from Low Bank

Looking back from near the summit of Rannerdale Knotts

The summit of Rannerdale Knotts

Grasmoor from the summit

Crummock Water and Loweswater

"I always think of this valley as made by Heaven for summer evenings and summer mornings: green floor and purple heights, with the sound of waters under the sunset, or lit with the north-eastern sun into pure colour above, and the greyness of the dew upon the grass"   [W. G. Collingwood]

Crib Goch

« Reply #29 on: 21:01:09, 23/09/11 »
Some fabulous photos there John - especially from the Whiteless Pike walk - and fantastic conditions. I guess living over there you can pick your days...........
I'm sweating on a decent day tomorrow for a walk from Bowness Knott, with less than total confidence. :-\

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy