Author Topic: Long distance Scotland Walk without any tarmac roads at all!  (Read 2990 times)

Lowlander

A long distance Scotland Walk without any tarmac roads at all!
Is it possible?

jo90

Look at the Cape Wrath Trail apart from a bit of that you divert to Ullapool it all avoids tarmac. I did it in 2014 and it a mind blowing walk. If Iirc  the Skype trail  also avoids tarmac roads too.

jo90

My apologies Lowlander.  I've just had a look at the route of the Skye trail and it does actually follow tarmac roads for a short section or two  But I think even as remote and wild as some parts of the highlands are there is at some point no avoiding a tarmac road to make a long distant route viable.

snoopdawg

Second the CWT. Only short tarmac sections up Glenfinnan and from Rhiconnich hotel up to the path to Sandwood bay.

Could always plan a multi day Cairngorm walk.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Second the CWT. Only short tarmac sections up Glenfinnan and from Rhiconnich hotel up to the path to Sandwood bay.

Could always plan a multi day Cairngorm walk.

I was also going to suggest the Cairngorms. The Lairg Ghru and Lairg an Laoig can be combined over a couple of days. If you add in some of the mountains, the distance and duration could be extended.
« Last Edit: 12:41:52, 19/10/18 by Bigfoot_Mike »

Owen

• Veteran Member
The Cape Wrath Trail is fantastic but you don't have to stick slavishly to the guidebook version there're loads of different routes you could follow, just make your own trail up.

astaman

If you start your walk in Drymen then the West Highland Way has almost no road walking. You have to cross roads but you don't go along them except for the very short stretch from the Inveroran Hotel to the Rannoch Moor path and along the street in Kinlochleven and Fort William.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
A multi day walk around the Cairngorms springs to mind. You could do a grand circuit taking in many of the high passes and some beautiful glens with very little road walking at all.
« Last Edit: 08:54:01, 31/10/18 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Lowlander

Thanks everybody!

jj99

The problem with the West Highland Way is that while there are few sections of road walking the hordes of people walking the route make it feel like a motorway

quote author=astaman link=topic=37372.msg530011#msg530011 date=1539962368]If you start your walk in Drymen then the West Highland Way has almost no road walking. You have to cross roads but you don't go along them except for the very short stretch from the Inveroran Hotel to the Rannoch Moor path and along the street in Kinlochleven and Fort William.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy