Author Topic: Yorkshire 3 peaks walk need advice over weight  (Read 4175 times)

Lowdown

Hi guys so in June I’m doing the 3 peaks walk for my dad who I lost to cancer, this is the first time I will have ever walked over a couple of miles I am quite over weight I’m 25yo I just wondered if I could get some advice on preparation maybe some exercises to prepare

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
Re: Yorkshire 3 peaks walk need advice over weight
« Reply #1 on: 10:05:02, 28/02/20 »
The easiest way to start is to just start walking more, and gradually try to incorporate more uphill into the walks.  Make sure you have comfortable shoes.  You may find you lose a bit of weight naturally as you take more excercise, but the main thing is just to get used to walking more!

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:11:52, 28/02/20 »
I have to say you have picked a hard walk to start with. However as long as you start upping your mileage from now with some decent uphills you should be okay. I would say that you should take it steady on the first hill and pace yourself carefully through the day. It is easy to get sucked into going too quickly if others start to go by you. Do not think of it as a race but a long days challenge. I hope you enjoy it and are successful.
It's all uphill from here.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:27:32, 28/02/20 »
Shall second the 'just get out and do some walking'.
And go at your own pace. I sometimes walk with a postman, he is 21 years younger than me. I make him wait.
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:59:37, 28/02/20 »
We are all in agreement, the best way to train to walk is to walk. You just need to get plenty of miles in to your legs before the start.

If you can loose some weight before the walk then that will help as every kg you loose is one less to carry over the hills on the day. We all know the foods which we can not resist, just try to cut them down. Take a 5kg bag of potatoes on a mile walk to show you how much effort carrying excess weight will be.

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:30:31, 28/02/20 »
We are all in agreement, the best way to train to walk is to walk.
We all know the foods which we can not resist, just try to cut them down. Take a 5kg bag of potatoes on a mile walk to show you how much effort carrying excess weight will be.
just take it steady at first. Don't try to do 6 miles for your first walk. Do 2 miles, 3 days in succession.  Like anything manual, get the quality right first, the speed will follow naturally.
Interesting about food. I like cheesecake. If I ate my daily calories in that every day, and nothing much else. I would become sick of it I suspect. It is really down to calories, not what you eat.
Rather than potatoes, get a cheap backpack, some waterproof clothing and a water container. Serves a dual purpose that way.
But leave the 'weight training' till later.

I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:41:17, 28/02/20 »
Welcome to the forum.
Uphill training is important as that is the most strength sapping and demoralising part of walk especially for inexperienced walkers.  My technique, where the going permits, is to try to maintain my cadence but step a bit shorter.  This gets harder on rough going but is worth trying as a steady rhythm really eats distance.  Also I would recommend buying a pair of trekking poles.  They will bring your arms into play by acting as a set of "banisters" to pull yourself up on and to drive yourself forward on the flat.  Correct pole technique is important to get the best out of them - there are YouTube videos in the subject.  Don't forget to make sure the poles have mud baskets to stop them sinking into soft ground.
Solvitur Ambulando

Slowcoach

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 13:46:59, 28/02/20 »

I would recommend doing some upper body exercises if you do get walking poles. I know many people who end up with very sore shoulders because they just get out their poles and are unused to them on a regular basis. Also grt the poles early on and practice..you do not want to be tripping yourself or others on the day.
It's all uphill from here.

lightweightmick

« Reply #8 on: 00:15:25, 03/03/20 »

...you do not want to be tripping yourself or others on the day.

This being the reason I refuse to use the damn things!

Hello Slowcoach... ('er, yes, 'tis I, Fred, come to join the party' - the very same lwm...)

Use a smiley ...you know it makes sense

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 00:51:22, 03/03/20 »
This being the reason I refuse to use the damn
Then you aren’t doing it right! If you use them frequently and with the correct technique they become extensions of your arms.  They have lots of other uses too - there was a thread on their uses some time back.  I would certainly encourage anyone who is not built like a racing snake to use them.  They prevent many more injuries than might cause and will probably extend your walking career by years.
Solvitur Ambulando

lightweightmick

« Reply #10 on: 08:47:26, 03/03/20 »
Then you aren’t doing it right! If you use them frequently and with the correct technique they become extensions of your arms.  They have lots of other uses too - there was a thread on their uses some time back.  I would certainly encourage anyone who is not built like a racing snake to use them.  They prevent many more injuries than might cause and will probably extend your walking career by years.
I must be built like a racing snake then...  :)

lightweightmick

« Reply #11 on: 10:58:26, 03/03/20 »
Hi guys so in June I’m doing the 3 peaks walk for my dad who I lost to cancer, this is the first time I will have ever walked over a couple of miles I am quite over weight I’m 25yo I just wondered if I could get some advice on preparation maybe some exercises to prepare

Seriously best advice mate - get yourself a copy of 'Total Fitness in Thirty Minutes a Week'

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Total-Fitness-30-Minutes-Week/dp/0671729934/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=total+fitness+in+30+minutes+a+week&qid=1583232070&s=books&sr=1-2

The programme he outlines takes 24 weeks in total, but the good news is you get the most benefit in the early stages - starting now you'd be in pretty good shape by June.
 His method of getting fitter works from any starting point, from recovering patient to sub athlete. The key is CONSISTENCY. Basically EVERY OTHER DAY you do a simple routine that raises your heart rate. He explains all the 'hows and whys' of exercise physiology. It is a little dated (from the 70's) but still ranks as one of the best easy to follow ways of getting fit.

Get it and do it and good luck. Your dad will be proud of you!  O0

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 11:14:18, 03/03/20 »
I too would recommend regular walking a buy a pair of trekking poles. To my knowledge, there are two types, ones where you grip and 'pull-down' on them and ones where you 'push-down' on them. I have tried both and much prefer the Pacerpole 'push down' models, in my view far superior to any others. I always lose weight when I hike, always around the waist too, I'm forever adjusting my belt!

Toxicbunny

« Reply #13 on: 16:05:56, 28/04/20 »
Personally you need to build yourself up slowly. Start increasing the mileage and the gradient. I would invest in a decent pair of walking boots. Look at an 8 week programme to get yourself walking fitter.  Forget about the weight it will drop off as your walking.

billy5WM

« Reply #14 on: 11:06:11, 30/04/20 »
Lowdown, good luck to you! :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy