Author Topic: Didn't really mean to do that!  (Read 2357 times)

Owen

• Veteran Member
Didn't really mean to do that!
« on: 14:54:30, 21/03/19 »
Just back from A&E getting my ankle and knee x-rayed. Seems I've  fractured a bone in the ankle and twisted my ACL, not sure how badly yet.

That's what comes from skiing in a whiteout.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Didn't really mean to do that!
« Reply #1 on: 15:14:05, 21/03/19 »
Sorry to hear that, whiteout skiing always a bit tricky  ;)
Where there's a will ...

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:20:04, 21/03/19 »
Ouch!
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:28:01, 21/03/19 »
Sympathies - whiteouts are horrible.  Me and pdstspson were skiing in one at new year - so bad we couldn't tell if we were moving! He said to me he was going to try side slipping but couldn't tell which way he was going! 

Hope the ACL is not too bad - hopefully the bone will heal fast.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:26:50, 21/03/19 »
I can sympathise, I once fell down a black mogul field I didn't know was there in a whiteout  (well to be fair, I did know about it but I didn't think I had got there yet).  I remember as I went over watching my ski trying to do a 180 while still attached and thinking "this is going to hurt".  Fortunately I got off more lightly than you appear to have - hope you are soon mended.
Whiteouts and flat light are nature's way of telling you to have a lie in or go to the bar.  They are also why we have insurance.
Solvitur Ambulando

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:42:15, 21/03/19 »
Sorry to hear that Owen, hope the injury isn't too serious and you have a speedy recovery  O0
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:44:40, 21/03/19 »
Have a smooth recovery, ACLs are tricky ones so make sure the rehab physio is well on their game!

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 23:29:32, 21/03/19 »
Sympathies - whiteouts are horrible.  Me and pdstspson were skiing in one at new year - so bad we couldn't tell if we were moving! He said to me he was going to try side slipping but couldn't tell which way he was going! 

That's exactly it, went over a 4ft drop I hadn't seen.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:35:40, 22/03/19 »
Ouch, but on the other hand, good job it was only 4 not 400!

I hope the ACL isn't too bad - I did my ACL (a bit) and MCL (a lot) in my last ever rugby game at the age of 36.  Surgeon said no more skiing, ever,  but I have three kids and really wanted those memories, so I bought a brace and have skied every year since, often twice, and I'm now 55.  I also did a lot of cycling which built up the quads and other things around the knee which, apparently, helped stabilise the knee area.  It does get a bit sore after a few days but the brace does its job in stopping too much lateral movement and I have absolutely no regrets about ignoring the doc.  I know quite a few people who have had ACL injuries and come back to skiing.  All the best with the recovery.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 10:06:02, 22/03/19 »
All the best for a speedy recovery O0
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:39:54, 22/03/19 »
Hope that you mend quickly, Owen.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:49:51, 23/03/19 »
Thanks everyone for the good wishes, the vet says should take 4 to 6 week to heal. So fingers crossed.

slapskate007

« Reply #12 on: 20:43:13, 30/04/19 »
Sorry to hear what happened to your knee.  I had injured my knew a few months ago and its hard to not walk when it's a part on your life.  Do yourself a favor and don't do long walks until the pain goes away or it will take longer to get better.  I know because I tried to ignore the pain and it started getting worse.  I also wore a knee brace to help take some of the pressure off.   

Good luck on the recovery. 

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 16:29:21, 02/05/19 »
Just a bit late with your warning I'm afraid. I'm just back from trying to walk from Aviemore to Fort William via Ben Macdui, Ben Alder and Ben Nevis. I didn't make it.

After a couple of days my ankle was just complaining to much to ignore, the knee wasn't so bad. I still had four fantastic days, well three fantastic day and a very wet one. You live and learn.   

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 21:19:44, 02/05/19 »
Sorry to hear that, Owen.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy