Author Topic: Honister Zip Wire proposal  (Read 28940 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Honister Zip Wire proposal
« Reply #180 on: 21:02:51, 28/07/19 »
Also - both Penrhyn slate quarry and Dolgarrog aluminium works are outwith Snowdonia National Park!

You might as well compare chalk and cheese as compare these developments with Honister.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #181 on: 12:10:37, 29/07/19 »
What i think most people are simply against, is that the Zip wire is to be constructed within a National Park.
Its an area of outstanding beauty, but that should not be the sole reason for not allowing a zip wire to be built.
I agree the Honister Pass is not the best location to construct such a popular attraction, due to its very poor access for large influx of traffic and visitors.

A zip wire attracts vast numbers of people, all of whom will happily spend considerable amounts of their money in the area, if the venture is carefully managed.

Local B&Bs, Hotels, Youth Hostels, and businesses will benefit from such a project, simply because many of the new visitors will decide to stay an extra night or two, to see what else is on offer.

Businesses in North West Wales have  profited to the tune of over £250 million in the past five years alone, and such is the popularity of Zip Wires, even South Wales wants a piece of the action.

Like Ive already said, if a new Nuclear power station was proposed for the Honister area, or any area within the Lake District National Park, then i could see the anguish and worry of the locals, but all is proposed is a wire from one end of the pass to the other.

There is this assumption that the Lake District is exclusively an area for those who want to walk it hills, and valleys, and anything other than that, will not or should not be considered.

Areas of outstanding natural beauty need other attractions to persuade people to visit the area.

Walking i agree is very popular, but what else is there to do in the Lakes other than walk the fells.

The younger generation or those with no interest at all in the great outdoors, need other reasons to travel to the NW of England.

Zip wires, like them or loathe them, its virtually transformed the economy of a small area of NW Wales, that still suffered high unemployment and poor job opportunities.

Any venture that brings large numbers of people into an area, all willing to spend their money locally, must be good.

If the proposed Zip wire venture is carefully managed, it will ensure the continued prosperity of local businesses and other attractions.

Just imagine what £250m can do for local Cumbrian businesses, and that's only in a five year period.
« Last Edit: 12:23:43, 29/07/19 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #182 on: 13:23:31, 29/07/19 »
DA, can I suggest you read the Sandford principals underlying the creation of the National Park? You may find it enlightening.

I take it you ignored this advice then?  And everything said by Richard?

The lake district is not short of visitor numbers, it is short of the infrastructure to deal with them at times. 

I also do not understand how you have come up with the figure of £250M over 5 years from Honister - at £100 a shot this equates to 500,000 visitors per annum, which, I suspect, might put a strain on the car park.  I think you need to stop coming up with random [censored] and spouting it as the truth.

The zip wire planned does not run from one end of Honister Pass to another, it will descend the side of Fleetwith Pike.

I love the line "Areas of outstanding natural beauty need other attractions to persuade people to visit the area" - surely marketing the outstanding beauty element better would persuade people that they do not need other, passive, fairground rides, to enjoy the fells.  Your economics based argument also ignores our responsibility as a generation, to protect the few remaining wild spaces. 

DA - I assume you are trolling, because I really cannot see how you can actually believe what you write.

You also ask what else there is to do in the lakes but walk?  Well, just off the top of my head, sailing, canoeing, canyoning, climbing, cycling (road and mtb), fell running, wild camping, orienteering, all of which have an element of adventure, completely divorced from the safe, passive experience of a zip wire. They also all bring health benefits.

And..... breathe

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #183 on: 14:12:36, 29/07/19 »

I ask you again, DA - have you been up Honister Pass?

It's not the A5, you know.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #184 on: 14:29:57, 29/07/19 »
Also - both Penrhyn slate quarry and Dolgarrog aluminium works are outwith Snowdonia National Park!

You might as well compare chalk and cheese as compare these developments with Honister.

I thought I'd pointed this out to DA last night, but somehow my post didn't appear.
My assumption is that these developments are outside the national park for a reason - that reason being that the SNPA would strongly reject any application for some such thing within the park's boundaries.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #185 on: 17:58:37, 29/07/19 »
I was doing so well at not posting and then he says
The younger generation... need other reasons to travel to the NW of England
Not my son, his friends or a fair number of people that we met up there a week ago.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #186 on: 18:24:16, 29/07/19 »
Areas of outstanding natural beauty need other attractions to persuade people to visit the area.

Walking i agree is very popular, but what else is there to do in the Lakes other than walk the fells.

;D  This has to be up there with your most funny posts, you have to be joking DA.

Along with pdstsp's good suggestions of things to do, here are some other things to do that don't require too much energy, all available in the Lake District - theatres, cinemas, restaurants, shops, museums, lake cruises (there are quite a few lakes DA, you obviously have no knowledge of the Lake District, perhaps you should look at a map), tea shops, public parks. I could go on and on, the list is endless.

As far the Lake District needing more numbers you again have no idea of the traffic jams in Keswick on Saturday, it was gridlocked.... and there is no zip wire yet. There will be more traffic coming through Keswick to get to Borrowdale and more coming through Buttermere. The people and businesses in Buttermere were against the zip wire DA; not all businesses are in favour of it.
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #187 on: 19:15:11, 29/07/19 »

I'll add La'al Ratty to your list, April

DA really should get about more.

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #188 on: 19:41:20, 29/07/19 »
Dont forget the pencil museum!Why do we need to encourage more visitors? Is it not rammed already? Fairly famous place, the lake district......... :-\
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #189 on: 19:46:23, 29/07/19 »
I'll add La'al Ratty to your list, April

Oh, of course other transport that people use for entertainment:) Include all the buses, lots of people use the buses too just to see the scenery without having to put much effort into it. 

How could I forget all the historic houses - the Wordsworth properties and Beatrix Potter properties, lots of foreign tourists travel half way across the world to see them. There is more than enough for visitors to do without walking on a fell, I am sure other people can add more to the list.

Oh thanks pleb, I had mentioned museums, but didn't name the pencil museum specifically. And yes the Lake District has more than enough visitors each year.
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #190 on: 20:46:45, 29/07/19 »
You missed Gondolas off your list  >:D

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #191 on: 20:47:55, 29/07/19 »
..and of course, a certain slate mine is itself already a tourist attraction.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #192 on: 20:53:58, 29/07/19 »
You missed Gondolas off your list  >:D

Oh yes, the Coniston Steam Yacht Gondola  :D

I am hoping the gondolas you really mean remain as a bleddy stupid idea on a drawing board.
Hate will never win

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #193 on: 21:41:35, 29/07/19 »

I am hoping the gondolas you really mean remain as a bleddy stupid idea on a drawing board.
My daughter chartered the steam gondola as part of her wedding with Bucks Fizzes all round.  They let her toot the whistle - bad idea - by the time she had finished there was no steam pressure left.
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #194 on: 21:44:04, 29/07/19 »

Hopefully gondolas of the bleddy stupid variety will never be on the list.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy