Author Topic: Mountain Equipment / Rab waterproof trousers  (Read 3133 times)

Matt010791

Mountain Equipment / Rab waterproof trousers
« on: 11:13:01, 08/09/19 »
So i recently bought a ME Lhotse jacket and i absolutely love it, yes it was pricey but the quality is great and if i can get 6-7+ years out of it ill be more than happy for my value for money. So my question is has anyone got any experience both good and bad reviews of the ME or Rab gore tex/ gore tex pro pants? Or can anyone recommend an alternative that they've tried an tested? I'm open minded i obviously want best value for money. Ive had a search through here but a lot of the threads are quite dated now. I did a lot of research before i bought the jacket so i won't be rushing into buying them.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Re: Mountain Equipment / Rab waterproof trousers
« Reply #1 on: 11:25:16, 08/09/19 »
Not an answer to your question but I've been suprised by the quality of the Berghaus Stormcloud overtrousers, I bought them as on a budget for £34 ish at Blacks in Keswick. They're not that sweaty,  breathe well, tough (I've fallen over on rock in them and they didn't tear) and completely waterproof. I expect ME might be even better but these are good enough.

Matt010791

« Reply #2 on: 11:35:44, 08/09/19 »
Will have a look mate, I hate sweating in stuff so I always look towards the more expensive breathable stuff but that just shows that there’s breathable cheaper options out there. I find the gore tex paclite stuff out there is ridiculously hot, literally makes me boil

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:28:16, 08/09/19 »
I hate waterproof trousers, such a faff to put on and off, I can use two options to keep dry, a long waterproof coat which cost £15, or I use a homemade rain skirt, which my wife's friend made for me, cost me £10 and a bottle of wine for her. As long as I'm wearing my Rab waterproof gaiters I stay dry and do not experience sweaty areas.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:46:09, 08/09/19 »
Will have a look mate, I hate sweating in stuff so I always look towards the more expensive breathable stuff but that just shows that there’s breathable cheaper options out there. I find the gore tex paclite stuff out there is ridiculously hot, literally makes me boil

I suppose that just goes to show how different we can be. I nearly always carry Berghaus Paclite overtrousers and jacket with me; they weigh very little and I have them just in case... if it's not raining the jacket is a good emergency outer-layer and the overtrousers are nettle-proof! I hate being sweaty but I've found the overtrousers aren't too warm - and the full-length side-zips are good for ventilation.
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:55:54, 08/09/19 »
I hate waterproof trousers, such a faff to put on and off,...

I totally agree and unless the rain looks like it will be heavy or persistent then I won't bother with the overtrousers - I'll just put up with damp/wet trousers for the short time they take to dry.

On the other hand... if I'm setting off in the rain, putting them on before my boots is no faff at all.  ;)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Matt010791

« Reply #6 on: 19:59:02, 08/09/19 »
How do you find the Berghaus? must admit its not a brand I've looked at but its popped up twice now.

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 20:11:50, 08/09/19 »

I hate waterproof trousers, such a faff to put on and off,

I'm not a big fan of over trousers either Reg. But when out on a walk with muddy boots and the rain comes in, I stick a plastic carrier bag over each boot and the pants just glide on, and keep your pants clean........returning the bags back into my pack of course, to use another day  ::)

Berghaus Deluge for me  O0
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:20:36, 08/09/19 »
I have ME Firefox jacket and overtrousers, I wore them on my latest backpacking trip for all of one day. It was raining sometimes very heavily but not all the time, the wind was constant and was hard work walking against. For most of the time I had the hood done up tightly. I was dry inside and not at all clammy or sweaty. The trousers have side zips that go from ankle to hip but they don't open up all the way to the waistband, as my old ones did. This is not much of a problem with walking boots but is a right pain when wearing ski boots. The jacket weights 385g and the trousers 315g.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:24:35, 08/09/19 »
+1 for Berghaus Deluge
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:02:23, 08/09/19 »
+1 for Berghaus Deluge
+2  Both of us have a pair.
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 22:36:30, 08/09/19 »
+3

I have two pairs  O0
Where there's a will ...

geordie33

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 08:56:12, 09/09/19 »
I recently acquired a pair of Rohan waterproof trousers
They look smart and can be worn all day but more to the point got an absolute battering on the North Pennines and were totally waterproof
Downside is that they are on the warm side and pricey but if you look at Rohan website clearance section you can often get the for the price of ordinary walking trousers

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 09:02:37, 09/09/19 »
Berghaus Deluge for me  O0
Me, my son and my daughter all have them. O0

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 09:50:25, 09/09/19 »
My rain skirt is also very useful when I use a campsite shower. I like to go to the shower with the minimum of clothes on and then return to my tent to get dressed again. So, flip flops on, towel around my neck, my underwear on (to wash as I shower) and my rain skirt on, if for nothing else, my attempt at a decency presentation of myself to the public around me. I don't want to offend. I also find that 'modern' towels that claim to dry us easily are not that good, so wearing my rain skirt means by the time I get into my tent again and change into clean clothes I am more or less, or properly dry. When dry of course clothes are so much easier to put on, especially when horizontal.  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy