Author Topic: Boots for LDWs - what do you wear?  (Read 6005 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Boots for LDWs - what do you wear?
« Reply #15 on: 17:19:19, 01/04/18 »
At the risk of starting the usual "Boots V Shoes" argument....I would say that in ;late Spring and during Summer, most National Trails would be more suited to wearing shoes rather than boots, especially Coastal Paths which should be firm underfoot and not needing the kind of support that maybe boots would give you if you were doing hill walking rather than trail walking.

Shoes are more suited when you are walking longer distances each day, especially coastal paths where the walking might be faster than other LDWs.

Heavy boots thumping down on faster firm coastal paths are surely at a disadvantage against lighter shoes....in my opinion  O0

Just been out on the SWCP today Hartland - Bude section. Wore and needed both boots and gaiters today although it is officially spring.

Boots were Altberg Tethera for me and Altberg Fremington Lady Lites for the boss (who still managed to still get one damp sock despite boots and gaiters).
Solvitur Ambulando

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 17:59:37, 01/04/18 »
I used to be a boots only user but discovered the benefits of wearing good GTX shoes with good grip combined with lightweight but stiffer gaiters. Mostly I use North Face Hedgehog Fastrack at least a size larger than my normal footwear, with a Sorbothane Double Strike insole, and thick Thorlo Treccker socks. My gaiters are Rab Latock Alpine. These can be made to form a snug fit over the shoe and I never had wet feet with this combination despite many many miles through rain, snow and mud. I have worn shoes for years including over Ben Nevis, most lakeland peaks Snowdonia Peaks and many multi day high mileage trips.
As they say a 1Lb on the feet equals 5LB in the sack!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 19:20:09, 01/04/18 »
Interesting Slogger - part of my walk today included over 30 yards of wading along a track through water up to ankle deep. Does your shoe/gaiter combination cope with that?  If so I might give it a try.
Solvitur Ambulando

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 20:11:43, 01/04/18 »

Just been out on the SWCP today Hartland - Bude section. Wore and needed both boots and gaiters today although it is officially spring.
That is probably the hardest section of the SWCP even in summer with lots (10?) river valleys to be crossed!

AFANASIEW

« Reply #19 on: 20:48:28, 01/04/18 »
Thanks for your recommendations. I'll venture out to the shops in search of the following to try on:

Salomon Ultra 2 mid GTX                                                                           
Zamberlan 309 Trail Lite GTX Boots
SCARPA Men's Kailash GORE-TEX                                             
Meindl Kansas                                                                                             
Anatom Q3 Braeriach Trekking Boot -                                                   
Anatom Q2                                                                                                   
Scarpa Ranger II Activ GTX                                       
Altberg Tethera

I have previously owned a pair of Scarpa Rangers, which I wore for the PW, but really I'm now looking for something lighter for summer, so I might resist the Altberg, as also the otherwise tempting Asolo Power Matic 200.                       
It's simple - one foot in front of the other.

AFANASIEW

« Reply #20 on: 22:22:06, 02/05/18 »
Thanks again for all your 'footnotes' on shoes and boots. In the end I opted for a pair of Altberg Tethera to help cope with the uneven, rocky paths and the boggy stretches of the Pennine Way next year. A close runner-up in the end were the Scarpa Delta and, although Mananddog raised my interest in the Altberg Malham, they felt quite strange when I tried them on at Taunton Leisure, presumably due to the 'revolutionary' shape of their 'A-Forme' last. I've ended up with an extra wide fitting, which perhaps explains why I found Meindl and Zamberlan boots too tight. In the end it had to be tried and trusted leather, simply because I feel I know what I'm doing with it, and can at least make an effort to maintain it on the hoof, as it were.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 23:10:27, 02/05/18 »

I've ended up with an extra wide fitting, which perhaps explains why I found Meindl and Zamberlan boots too tight.

Just goes to show how different we all are.
I have recently bought new boots, tried a wide variety of makes and models, but having wide, flat feet struggled to find any to fit EXCEPT the Meindl which are considerably wider than the other makes I tried.
I ended up with the Meindl Meran.

One of the selling features used by Meindl is their 'extra-width as standard'.

All that matters is that YOU have found boots that are comfortable for YOU.

AFANASIEW

« Reply #22 on: 08:41:04, 03/05/18 »

I ended up with the Meindl Meran.

One of the selling features used by Meindl is their 'extra-width as standard'.

All that matters is that YOU have found boots that are comfortable for YOU.

The Meran do look like a viable option. Being fixated on full grain in preference to nubuck, I tried the Bhutan. If my legs are still functioning when my current pairs wear out and if they're still available, I'll bear them in mind.

mow1701

« Reply #23 on: 20:29:30, 07/05/18 »
I’m adding a vote for Altberg Fremington. Comfortable and good quality leather. I use them for long distance walking- completed Cape Wrath Trail among other routes in them. Only got wet feet when I had to go through a stream. Otherwise perfect, took their wax with me and every night refreshed them for the next day. Superb. This is the first pair of boot where the sole has worn and has been viable to get resoled(at Altberg) because the leather hasn’t cracked! Used to be a Scarpa fan until I started with Altberg.

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 22:00:56, 07/05/18 »
I would definitely go for boots on the SWCP; without a shadow of a doubt

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 22:02:38, 07/05/18 »
I use Altberg Tethera. Great boots on most surfaces.

AFANASIEW

« Reply #26 on: 13:10:06, 25/06/18 »
I would definitely go for boots on the SWCP; without a shadow of a doubt
For the SWCP, Land's End to Lyme Regis, I wore my Salomon Quest Prime GTX. They were great for ankle support, grip and relative lightness, but they were NOT waterproof, even with gaiters. In persistent drizzle or through wet vegetation they pretty quickly soak your feet, softening the skin and thus making you more prone to blisters. I'll continue to use them, but only for dry walks. Time to break in the Tethera!

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 13:27:25, 25/06/18 »
My pair of tetheras have now done the swcp a pennine way and a c2c. Still in good order and have only slipped once in them in a thousand miles. Good mix of tough and light..

RogerA

« Reply #28 on: 15:09:14, 25/06/18 »
No wanting to compliate matters : sandals?
I often find shorts and some solid sandals far more comfortable for day walks that dont include scrambling
Edit: just saw the thread is titled LDW - my bad  :-X

AFANASIEW

« Reply #29 on: 11:16:39, 05/07/18 »
No wanting to compliate matters : sandals?
I often find shorts and some solid sandals far more comfortable for day walks that dont include scrambling
Edit: just saw the thread is titled LDW - my bad  :-X

Roger, I take sandals or flip-flops with me to wear in the evenings, when it's good to get out of boots. Teva sandals, for example can act as back-up footwear for walking as well. I recently used flip-flops to help me wade across the River Erme on the SWCP, when the shells and pebbles were proving a tad painful.

Tony

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy