Author Topic: TR - Cnicht & The Moelwyns  (Read 2474 times)

- Dave -

• Veteran Member
TR - Cnicht & The Moelwyns
« on: 21:52:26, 26/10/17 »
http://allthegearbutnoidea.blogspot.co.uk/2017/09/cnicht-moelwyns.html

Another one from my September trip to Wales. An overcast but dry day among the interesting Moelwyns

I'm on the internet!

Check out my blog here:

http://allthegearbutnoidea.blogspot.co.uk

214/214 Wainwrights

fernman

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - Cnicht & The Moelwyns
« Reply #1 on: 23:07:22, 26/10/17 »
Terrific! Another favourite area oif mine. Thanks for that.

Can I just ask, what was your route up "the final obstacle before the summit" of Cnicht (the 14th photo in your blog)?
Although you say "The climb up Cnicht presents no real problems other than some rockiness towards the end, nothing that would trouble even the most timid hill walkers", I'm not much of a scrambler and that bit has always defeated me, inasmuch as I've never felt prepared to risk it. Perhaps you can encourage me!

- Dave -

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:01:00, 27/10/17 »
Hi, fernman! Firstly, thanks for your comments.

If memory serves, when you reach the rocky obstacle, the path on the ground skirts right beneath it a little bit and then meets a fairly obvious series of short, rocky steps. I've marked up the photo to show the approximate route. Once you've reached the end of the arrow, I recall that being the end of any of the hands on stuff.

I'm on the internet!

Check out my blog here:

214/214 Wainwrights

- Dave -

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:04:31, 27/10/17 »
I found this as well which has a better perspective of the obstacle and the path / route underneath it (a few photos in).

http://www.germanhikes.co.uk/hike09/2009Oct-01/3Oct2009/3Oct.html

It's a shame it was cloudy as we approached, right up until we were stood beneath it!
I'm on the internet!

Check out my blog here:

214/214 Wainwrights

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:05:49, 27/10/17 »
Wow that is really helpful, many thanks, I'm really going to have to give it another go now!

In the photos on other site you gave a link for, you can see a well-worn path to the right of your route (yours, I believe, being the way most guide books tell you to go).

I didn't see any of that the last time I was there, the photo below tells all, lol.
« Last Edit: 11:59:34, 27/10/17 by fernman »

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:37:59, 27/10/17 »
An excellent and interesting blog Dave.

Fernman----Snap!--- My first attempt to reach the summit of Cnicht. (aborted)

I've used both Dave's 'ladder; and the well worn path to the right, The latter is fine if you don't look down when you make the left turn for the summit.  :D  Stick to the ladder but remember to put the brakes on if you come back down that way.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:46:35, 27/10/17 »
Fab photos and report Dave  O0

Great scenery there, never been, now its on the list  :)
Hate will never win

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 12:50:22, 27/10/17 »
I do enjoy the Moelwyns, especially Cnicht, great blog too  O0
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 14:22:55, 27/10/17 »
Fernman----Snap!--- My first attempt to reach the summit of Cnicht. (aborted)

Must've been the same time I was there - we didn't see each other 'cos of the fog!

The latter is fine if you don't look down when you make the left turn for the summit.

That's definitely out for me, then :-[

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 14:45:45, 27/10/17 »
Must've been the same time I was there - we didn't see each other 'cos of the fog!

I should have sat tight because an hour and a half later when I was back in Croesor having a coffee the summit was totally clear in sunshine. Did I go back up? No, left it for another day and wandered off towards towards Pont Croesor where I think the last photo with the railway line on the German site was taken.
« Last Edit: 14:49:41, 27/10/17 by Penygadair »

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 15:55:26, 27/10/17 »
It's sods law, I think it happens to all of us.
I went up the spur that ascends north-westwards from Bwlch-y-Ddwy-elor  above Beddgelert Forest to the Nantlle Ridge, really steep it was, and in thick mist.
After the climb I reached a wide and level grassy ridge (I was on Trum y Ddysgl but didn't know it at the time) where I dared not go near the edges for I couldn't see what lay below.
At the end of this there were misty rocks and a narrow stony path around them that appeared to be the edge of a big drop.
I wasn't at all sure where I was and I was far from happy, so I turned back and laboriously made my way back down again.
By the time I reached the bottom the clag had lifted to be replaced by sunny blue sky, and I could see small groups and crocodiles of walkers making their way along the main ridge. If I had sat tight I could have been up there with them!

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 08:41:26, 28/10/17 »
Off topic, but looking at your blog, Dave, I found the photos of your winter trip to Iceland absolutely stunning.
Been on my wish list for yonks but had never thought of going in winter
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

- Dave -

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 17:51:11, 28/10/17 »
It was sensational! I can't recommend it highly enough
I'm on the internet!

Check out my blog here:

214/214 Wainwrights

dinger

« Reply #13 on: 21:56:34, 28/10/17 »
I did this area a couple of weeks ago on my Ml course its very secluded and boggy in places too but intresting area especially near the old quarry houses , kinda spooky you get the sense of history of past era around there.

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 22:22:22, 28/10/17 »
Good stuff. Been up there a few times and never had a problem. A firm favourite when we stayed in a little cottage there for five years running, oh the memories  8) O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy